Selling my halves, which to keep?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Selling my halves, which to keep?

Postby fusscharles » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:38 pm

I am selling a good chunk of my halves, and have about an even spread of walkers, franklins and kennedys... If I was to hold some back which have the most numismatic value? Obviously the franklins are pretty common, so it really is a question between Johnny and the Walkers...
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Selling my halves, which to keep?

Postby barrytrot » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:42 pm

I would go through and save the AU/BU ones.

Also if you are aware of the "key dates" for each, then grab those in any condition.

Other than that, numismatic value is strinking every day :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby traderchowder » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:45 pm

The Kennedys in my possession have the least wear compared to the Walking Libs. So they likely weigh more which is good. The last coin show I was at I got the impression Kennendys are not as highly regarded. I just read in one of the featured articles on coinflation.com that Walking Liberties are going for higher premiums than other halves which for some reason surprised me. Bottom line, I probably don't know a great answer to your question but I tried anyway. :D Good luck.
traderchowder

Postby Dvorak » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 pm

The numismatist in me likes the Walkers, the bullion stacker in me likes the Kennedys.

So, Franklins it is.
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slvrbck » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm

People tend to like the walkers in good condition. Unfortunately I see alot of slickers.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:17 pm

The culls, slicks, strangely toned, dirty, scratched, bent, cleaned, gouged and hammered are the first ones to be sent to the gallows.

I set the mintmarked Walkers from the 1930s or earlier aside (not in the above categories) at least during the first pass to remain safe in my collection until the next time around.

BU Franklins from the 1940s and 1950s are also set aside, but most 1962-63 Franks and 64 JFKs are to be sold. I need some with little wear to offset the 1917 Walkers that have been circulated to almost slickness.

If the price of silver continues to climb, esentially everything excepting high-end collector coins will be sold for their intrinsic content and not their numismatic value.

I presently have a couple rolls of average circ Barber halves. A few are nice or better dates, but with almost $14 each in silver content, they could be going away, too.

Point is, actually, sell what you can part with and have no remorse for your actions. Just have a contented smile that you've made quite a haul.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals