100 gram (3.2 troy oz) pure gold bar - $2800 - REAL???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

100 gram (3.2 troy oz) pure gold bar - $2800 - REAL???

Postby yonico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 am

Hey guys
i've been lurking around the forums here for a while now but this is my first post.
just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3cb726097c&item=260770761084&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=gAhqP1PN7JlNknSqOCN%252FnFjdyWs%253D

and of course bought it right away.

am i missing something here or this is really a great deal? i figured out the melt value is in the 4700 area, and it was being sold at $2800

what do you guys think? can gold really be sold at 40% off spot? i didn't pay yet, just wanna check everything before i post payment.

for some reason , i feel like i'm either missing something or being scammed.. :?

your kind help is very much appreciated!
yonico

Re: 100 gram (3.2 troy oz) pure gold bar - $2800 - REAL???

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 am

Were you the successful buyer or did the seller end the auction? - I can't tell from the listing.

Looks like the real deal, if the seller actually ships, you may have lucked out. You got it for about half price. I personally would exchange communication in writing (email) with the seller before paying, and would use Paypal to complete it, just to be sure.

Seller hasn't sold anything for about a year - not an active seller.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:25 am

Possible hijacked ebay account?

My creep alert went off several times while reading his description. How he mentions 'high value' a little too often.

Why sell online at 60% when any local bullion dealer would pay closer to spot?

And he's apparently ok with losing a couple thousand bullion value, but wants you to pay using paypal check to save him a few bucks in fees...?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby DeanStockwell » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 am

Ask if you can contact the seller via telephone. If it is a scammer, he will either be skittish talking to "victims" or you will be tipped off of his real location.
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 am

If you get the item, and that's a big if, I'd sell it right away. That way, if the buyer finds something to be wrong with the bar, you'd still have time to file a claim with eBay and get your money back. Don't sit on this bar. Move it ASAP. You either make a hefty profit, or you find out it's a scam and get your cash back. Win win.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby AgCollector » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 am

yonico wrote:Hey guys
i've been lurking around the forums here for a while now but this is my first post.
just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item3cb726097c&item=260770761084&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=gAhqP1PN7JlNknSqOCN%252FnFjdyWs%253D

am i missing something here or this is really a great deal? i figured out the melt value is in the 4700 area, and it was being sold at $2800

what do you guys think? can gold really be sold at 40% off spot? i didn't pay yet, just wanna check everything before i post payment.

for some reason , i feel like i'm either missing something or being scammed.. :?

Picture was stolen from here (note identical serial number too):

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/what-are ... n-bar.html

almost certainly fraudulent.
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am

AgCollector wrote:

Good detective work
TXBullion

Postby frugi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 am

TXBullion wrote:
AgCollector wrote:

Good detective work

I 2nd that . wow! good detective work.

I would have bought it too. It shows the item location as Rhode Island. That at least gives me something to hold accountable, whether it be with my Louisville slugger or Judge Judy, or extradition I wouldn't stand for that. With that said I looked at the listing, and to me, I believed it was legit, and that the mistake was made in the listing as the description said auction, when it was a buy it now, I have done the same thing myself. It sucks, I never took al loss that big. Please let us know how this turns out, this is really exciting, now I have something to follow. I am pretty lame, so pretty much everything gets me excited.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:29 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum, former lurker :lol: You state you haven't posted payment yet? Don't. Look up problem resolution on the ebay site and call the number provided. After you relay your suspicions they may cancel the transaction for you and you are absolved of any obligation to pay. Good luck, too bad.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby AgCollector » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 pm

frugi wrote:
I 2nd that . wow! good detective work.

Thanks guys- I figured it'd either be a completed eBay item picture or something on google image search- didn't take too long after that.

By the way I second the advice here- don't go through with the transaction!
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby yonico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:23 pm

WOW
thank you guys so much
i appreciate all the help!
yonico

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm guessing it's a hi-jacked account, last feedback was from Oct 2010. So the scammer found a Hi feedback account that has not been used in while, then listed his item.

The paypal check is so paypal can't pull the funds out of his checking account when you ask for you moneyback??
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 am

Yep, it smelled like a jacked account. Fortunately, these bozos don't realize that if they put their Buy it Now offers closer to actual pricing they would not stand out as scammers.

Ebay Motors gets their share of brand new $9000 Harleys. :?

As for the lifted photo, that alone wouldn't concern me too much, given a generic item for sale. I've seen plenty of legit dealers using someone else's high res photos of bars, eagles, and whatnot. In this instance though, it was another good clue.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby frugi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAMP-Suisse-10-oz-G ... dZViewItem

he is doing it again!

10 ozt for $12,000.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby AgCollector » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 am

frugi wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/PAMP-Suisse-10-oz-Gold-Bar_W0QQitemZ260771276537QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3360QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

he is doing it again!

10 ozt for $12,000.

And getting lazy- now the image is stolen from the first google search I ran:

http://www.bostonbullion.com/productdet ... OLDBAR10OZ

same serial # and everything...
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:09 am

I sent him a PM asking him to deal with me off of eBay. to save him the fees and me the trouble of a paper trail. Hopefully, he is super dumb and responds with his phone number or his address. hehehehe.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 am

frugi wrote:I sent him a PM asking him to deal with me off of eBay. to save him the fees and me the trouble of a paper trail. Hopefully, he is super dumb and responds with his phone number or his address. hehehehe.

Totall Dumbarsse........He/she responded, and said okay.. wanted my email, so I gave my out my yahoo.uk email (it is my legitimate email, but does not have any of my personal info), and I mentioned I live in the USA. They sent a mail to my email asking if I can do a wire transfer? I said I would prefer to just mail cash, or a personal check or money order in advance, of course. I haven't received a reply. But the person he/she sent me a mail from they're email that shows they're name. Let us know how this turns out, if you will.

THIS IS THE EMAIL ADDRESS AND POSSIBLE NAME OF THE SCAMMER: Cecilia Laporte <goldbarmegastar@yahoo.com>
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am

frugi wrote:
frugi wrote:I sent him a PM asking him to deal with me off of eBay. to save him the fees and me the trouble of a paper trail. Hopefully, he is super dumb and responds with his phone number or his address. hehehehe.

Totall Dumbarsse........He/she responded, and said okay.. wanted my email, so I gave my out my yahoo.uk email (it is my legitimate email, but does not have any of my personal info), and I mentioned I live in the USA. They sent a mail to my email asking if I can do a wire transfer? I said I would prefer to just mail cash, or a personal check or money order in advance, of course. I haven't received a reply. But the person he/she sent me a mail from they're email that shows they're name. Let us know how this turns out, if you will.

THIS IS THE EMAIL ADDRESS AND POSSIBLE NAME OF THE SCAMMER: Cecilia Laporte <goldbarmegastar@yahoo.com>

I love this, Realcent is kicking ass and taking names!!!
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 am

frugi wrote:

STUPID SCAMMER!!!!!! REPLIED TO MY EMAIL WITH ALL OF THEY"RE PERSONAL INFORMATION-DUMBARSE!

here is the mail, most recently received....

Dallas Taylor
2401 Diplomacy Drive
Arlington, TX 76011
USA
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:55 am

frugi wrote:
frugi wrote:

STUPID SCAMMER!!!!!! REPLIED TO MY EMAIL WITH ALL OF THEY"RE PERSONAL INFORMATION-DUMBARSE!

here is the mail, most recently received....

Dallas Taylor
2401 Diplomacy Drive
Arlington, TX 76011
USA

THE ADDRESS IS TO A HOTEL IN TX.

http://www.baymontinns.com/Baymont/cont ... tyId=17872
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby oktyabyr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 am

Hey! I know where that is!
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby OldPeddler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:05 am

THE POSTING ON E-BAY has been removed. Looks like a SCAM. My advice is don't Pay. If it is too good to be true it is a scam.
Let us know how this works out for you.
OldPeddler
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals