How many of your friends/family regret not investing in PMs

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How many of your friends/family regret not investing in PMs

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I have been encouraging many of my friends and family members to invest what they could afford into PMs over the last several years.

When gold hit $1k, many of them said that was too expensive for them.

I saw one friend in particular the other day who told me she regreted not investing in silver and gold back when it was much lower and still has the mentality that it is too expensive to invest in.

Have you guys had similar experiences with the recent run up in PMs?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: How many of your friends/family regret not investing in

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:24 pm

The only family member I know who had an opinion about it was my wife. She fought me buying when it was$4/oz for silver. She fought me when I bought a 1 oz gold buffalo when gold was $850. She has been fighting me now buying these ATB sets for $950. She is already fighting me over the profits that are coming out of the ATB sales.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Somnophore » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:49 pm

If my Fiance was like your wife I'd ditch her, if she can't except that you're making sound investments for your future and realise from your track record that things should be ok then it's a bit silly, women seem to be naturally risk averse but as long as you can afford to invest the money then she should support you in allowing a proportion of the savings budget to go on metals, especially as you can flip those sets for a profit, savings in the bank aren't even outperforming inflation at the moment so that's not an option.

I personally regret not buying loads or silver when I first got interested at 9$ an ounce, however I've never really had much spare cash to afford to buy, and what I did buy I ended up having to sell due to financial pressures.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:11 pm

I tried to get my family into silver when it dropped to the 9-10 range, a few years back. I had gotten in at 12 before that, so they thought I was nuts. My grandmother had just retired at the time, and the way her pension worked she had about 40k and that was it, they didnt need the cash and wanted to invest it. Whatever it is she invested in had dropped about 40 percent in 2008, and is now only a few points below where she bought it, and she called me to tell me that it wasnt so bad after all..... that is until i told her how much she would of had, had she listened to her grandson.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Merwanseth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Interesting topic. I seem to remember reading a number of past topics discouraging talking about ones hoard of copper and/or precious metals. In this day and age I'd want to tell virtually no one. And that includes most family members. "Loose lips sink ships..."
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Well I don't think I would tell people exactly how much I have and where I store it

But trying to encourage someone to invest in precious metals without going into the specifics of what you hold would be ok in my book.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Merwanseth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Thank you for clarifying Penny. I meant no disrespect...
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh didn't take your comment negative; just clarifying where I stand on that issue.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:25 pm

My wife does have a reason that she is concerned. Because I have done very little selling. The bank account has never been close to empty in fact not once in my life have I ever bounced a check. I have just been hoarding a lot of PMs since we have been married. Selling the ATBs may be just the start of the selling. Planning on listing my first ever EBAY auction after Easter. Also been married to my wife for 32 years so I am not going to dump her. I just don't always listen to her.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby timmus0382 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 pm

I had to find out about investing in pm's myself, no one in my family ever mentioned it. I got in the game late at 30 an ounce. With it at 45 now I am to worried to suggest it to my parents because I don't want to be responsible if they lose money even though I think we will close the year out around 50 if not closer to 60. They know I'm in the game and if they want to play they can make that decision on their own, and then I'll help them get started. I'm giving them half my stash anyway along with a bunch of heirloom seeds, ammo for my dads guns and a portable water filtration unit. I live about 300 miles away from them so I might not be able to get to them super fast if needed
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Poppa is a silver bug.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:52 pm

My family thinks Im smart but crazy. Besides that my dad is scared of PMs because coming from a farming background he knows people (neighbours) who literally bet the farm on PMs back in the day and lost it weeks later when gold started to crash. I told him I was looking to pick up some gold and silver 3 - 4 years ago and he told me how risky they are and I told him how risky the fiat system is. He ended up buying gold stocks and silver stocks and has done very well with them. He sold his silver wheaten recently because he said it has gone up so much he cant see it going up anymore. It makes sense in the buy low sell high mentality. I like the buy and hold method. Works great for dividend stocks but have not been in PMs for more than a cycle. Its been up since the day I bought.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Tourney64 wrote: Also been married to my wife for 32 years so I am not going to dump her.

Which bank accepts ex-wives dumps? One thing I've learned, never dump them at the same branch where you picked them up. :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Tourney64 wrote:My wife does have a reason that she is concerned. Because I have done very little selling. The bank account has never been close to empty in fact not once in my life have I ever bounced a check. I have just been hoarding a lot of PMs since we have been married. Selling the ATBs may be just the start of the selling. Planning on listing my first ever EBAY auction after Easter. Also been married to my wife for 32 years so I am not going to dump her. I just don't always listen to her.

Tourney, just nicely explain to you wife that she better hope that silver does really well because if it doesn't your "Plan B" to fund your golden years is to get a really big life insurance policy on her. :o
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NickelExpress » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Tourney64 wrote: Also been married to my wife for 32 years so I am not going to dump her.

Which bank accepts ex-wives dumps? One thing I've learned, never dump them at the same branch where you picked them up. :lol:

I just hope i dont end up picking up someone else's skunks, don't really wanna pick a box up that's had everything of value removed.
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 pm

The only one who listened to me was my girlfriend who cashed out her 401K and bought a big stack or 10 oz. silver bars when silver was 18 bucks. She thanks me for it. My brother bought some gold in a ETF and sold it a little while later making a small profit. My Dad was always agreeing with me but never jumped on the wagon and now is regretting it. My sister also says she wishes she would have bough silver. I have given them all a little metal as Christmas and Birthday gifts so they all have a little something anyway. Bragging at get togethers sure is fun!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals