Sterling Silver Flatware Questions

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sterling Silver Flatware Questions

Postby Merwanseth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:34 pm

I have a couple of general questions. Thank you in advance for any answers or insight anyone might have...

From this site:

http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculat ... lator.aspx

it describes "sterling silver" as .925 silver. My first question is: unless it's fake, is all genuine flatware with "sterling silver" printed/engraved on it considered .925 silver? Or is there any genuine silver flatware that contains other percentages besides .925 silver that also might have "sterling silver" printed / engraved on it?

My second question is: where would be good places to look locally for sterling silver flatware at reasonable prices? In other words, unless the price is right, I'm not looking to purchase a whole set of "Grandma's" 100 year old silver flatware from an antique shop with the antique value added on. I'm just looking to find "real" sterling silver flatware perhaps piece by piece or in small numbers at or below "spot".
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Sterling Silver Flatware Questions

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:34 pm

see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2868

99% of the time if it is marked, "sterling" it is .925 fine (actual assays will come within a few points of tolerance)

Some stuff might be silver, but not sterling. Coin silver (900 fine), and European silver (800 fine) are normally marked as such. You'll catch on quick. It's not as easy as you might think it would be to find the deals that you seek.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby bgretz1989 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:05 pm

it will be harder now that silver prices have climbed also. an antique mall near me had silver coins and flatware that had been sitting for a long time. when the price spiked i grabbed all i could one day (all under spot) went back the next day and a few cases were competly empty. when in doubt you can also buy one of the silver test kits too. that and a good gram scale will treat you well
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Merwanseth wrote: I'm just looking to find "real" sterling silver flatware perhaps piece by piece or in small numbers at or below "spot".

Im doing the same thing. I have found some at garage sales and thrift stores. One "thrift" store Value Village doesnt sell any forks or spoons anymore. Im assuming they are keeping them all and melting.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RR GUY » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 pm

With the run in silver a lot of great silver is being dumped for scrap. This weekend a dealer friend of mine called me and told me a lady came in and scrapped a 1930's art deco Cartier tea service. I told him I'd take it and went rushing down with some bullion and some cash to make the trade. I got a call from another dealer today that some guy came in and scrapped a Buccelatti flatware service for spot less 10%. He told me I could have it for spot less 5% if I paid cash. Of course I took it. There are a lot of incredible deals that you can have right now with regards to highly important English, European and American silver and often at prices less than coin or other bullion. Plus, you get to use it, live with it and enjoy it.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fusscharles » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 pm

got to make sure there are no fillers- like in the knife handles.... there are hazards in this, and I consider buying anything but coins an added 15% extra risk (and add an extra 15% under spot I normally pay for junk coin).
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RR GUY » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Also, when buying sterling dinner service, just remember that most 20th century sets ofen have stainless blades on the knifes. These often are marked with something like sterling handle. The really fine well made flatware will be solid .900 or .925.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals