Do you think a lot of numismatic coins are being melted?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do you think a lot of numismatic coins are being melted?

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:47 pm

With the run up in silver price, do you think a lot of collectible coins are being melted down??

I am curious if a lot of AG to G Barbers are being melted down and will this ultimately lead to them becoming more collectible?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Do you think a lot of numismatic coins are being melted?

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Pennysaved wrote:With the run up in silver price, do you think a lot of collectible coins are being melted down??

I am curious if a lot of AG to G Barbers are being melted down and will this ultimately lead to them becoming more collectible?

I have sent a few to the refiner....not sure if he cooked them or resold them.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Snake42 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Ive sent quite a few things to the refiner myself. I feel like it is a definite possibility.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Pennysaved wrote:With the run up in silver price, do you think a lot of collectible coins are being melted down??

Yes, alot of Barbers, because they are underweight of the 715 convention, are being offered by coin dealers and others to be melted down. Ultimately, coins in any of the lower grades, but particularly the Barbers will become quite scarce complements of Gresham's Law. This WILL lead to an increase in their numismatic value in those grades, but this will lag in real time their increase in bullion value, and could require years to establish their new standard of rarity. Once silver rises to a permanent plateau and stabilizes (if it ever does) then numismatic premiums might once again be assigned to them. During a price run-up such as we are experiencing, most will only value them as bullion. If silver goes hyperbolic, that's all they'll ever be valued at... bullion melt. This applies to all grades of numie coins, but to a lesser extent for the MS grades. One thing to consider... if it ever gets really bad (TSHTF?) who is going to be left around that has the spare cash to be a coin collector?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:08 am

beauanderos wrote:

Yes, alot of Barbers, because they are underweight of the 715 convention, are being offered by coin dealers and others to be melted down. Ultimately, coins in any of the lower grades, but particularly the Barbers will become quite scarce complements of Gresham's Law. This WILL lead to an increase in their numismatic value in those grades, but this will lag in real time their increase in bullion value, and could require years to establish their new standard of rarity. Once silver rises to a permanent plateau and stabilizes (if it ever does) then numismatic premiums might once again be assigned to them. During a price run-up such as we are experiencing, most will only value them as bullion. If silver goes hyperbolic, that's all they'll ever be valued at... bullion melt. This applies to all grades of numie coins, but to a lesser extent for the MS grades. One thing to consider... if it ever gets really bad (TSHTF?) who is going to be left around that has the spare cash to be a coin collector?

The Rockefellers and the Rothschilds will be around.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 am

shinnosuke wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

The Rockefellers, Rodebaughs, and the Rothschilds will be around.

Sorry....A guy can dream can't he.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

The Rockefellers, Rodebaughs, and the Rothschilds will be around.

Sorry....A guy can dream can't he.[/quote]

Sure...dream away. And since you are sitting on all that cash like your comrades, I think a good dose of redistribution is in order. Don't forget your friends down here in Texas. :)
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:34 pm

beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:37 pm

I was just called to task in a PM. I did not mean to imply that the scarcest, rarest coins in highest grades would go for melt during a hyperinflationary scenario, though I do believe the premium they fetch over spot price would narrow considerably. Only the filthy rich (Rockefellers, Rodebaughs, and Rothschilds) would be able to afford them.
beauanderos

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:10 am

beauanderos wrote:I was just called to task in a PM. I did not mean to imply that the scarcest, rarest coins in highest grades would go for melt during a hyperinflationary scenario, though I do believe the premium they fetch over spot price would narrow considerably. Only the filthy rich (Rockefellers, Rodebaughs, and Rothschilds) would be able to afford them.

Thanks for keeping the humor alive. :)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals