Is it time to switch from halves to dimes for sorting?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Is it time to switch from halves to dimes for sorting?

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:37 pm

I hit one decent box of halves last week that had 8 40% halves but other than that I have gone through 7k since Friday and found no silver

Are many of you giving up on halves and switching to something else to sort ie dimes?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is it time to switch from halves to dimes for sorting?

Postby Country » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Depends on what you can find in your area. I moved from halves to dimes earlier this year off and on. Unfortunately, I found 1 SILVER dime per $1000 on average. Now, I'm back into halves. I've found a few double digit SILVER boxes of halves, but not many. It could be that it may be time to consider spending your time sorting COPPER, which I am doing too which really helps getting over the SILVER sorting blues.

I'd suggest getting some dimes and see what you find. If you're fortunate, you'll get the Brink's plastic see through dime rolls which you can edge search quickly.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I have been having success with dimes; just wasn't sure if I should switch over 100% for a while?

I also get the plastic wrapped rolls so just do an edge sort; definitely easier to turn back in than halves.

Today, found 2 silver Roosevelts and 1 1960 Canadian dime in 1 box.

I hate letting someone else get the halves but they seem to have dried up lately :-(
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:58 pm

I started this year on dimes and nickels I find 4-6 dimes per bag and 2-4 nickels per bag. I cann't get havles at this point in time.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brian0918 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Halves are hard to come by around here, I don't believe my bank will order them. We sorted nickels for a while, and it could be entertaining because of the variety (shield, buffalo, war, rare issues). Sorting dimes is much less fun, especially if you're just edge checking, but if you want to get silver quickly, it's the best way to go. Dimes are also half the weight of nickels, so that's a plus if you have to carry around large quantities.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:00 pm

dakota1955 wrote:I started this year on dimes and nickels I find 4-6 dimes per bag and 2-4 nickels per bag. I cann't get havles at this point in time.

Your bank won't order you halves?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Luoganta » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:11 pm

quick question.

will a 40% have a solid silver edge or will i be forced to date check all my halves?
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Luoganta wrote:quick question.

will a 40% have a solid silver edge or will i be forced to date check all my halves?

Most of the time they do; however, I have almost missed some because they looked like a dirty clad half.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 pm

they will for a fee over face. they say it cost them to buy in rolls. its like five cents per roll.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals