Trading/Investment Thread

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Trading/Investment Thread

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Ray break out that fire hose.......your juniors are on fire. AG EXK
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Ray break out that fire hose.......your juniors are on fire. AG EXK

AGQ still topped them both today. But for today... for the record
GPL up 16.46%
AGQ up 13.60%
EXK up 12.1%
AG up 9.19%
SLW up 7.25%
AXU up 6.95%
MVG up 6.82%
SSRI up 6.7%
SWC up 5.95%
SVM up 5.91%
NUGT up 4.64%
NG up 4.42%
HL up 3.94%
PAAS up 3.93%
GDXJ up 3.69%
DGP up 3.68%

couple of juniors:

MISVF up 8.86%
FVITF up 8.41%

not everything was peachy keen and roses. Several juniors showed only slight gains or losses. Think it was money moved out of the more speculative plays into the more established miners or just physical. In any regard, it was a good day. :mrgreen: I guess you can see now why I like AGQ?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Are there many people here into dividend paying stocks? I know this is a metals forum but thats only a portion of my portfolio that Im trying to grow. I like the idea of actually having a monthly or quarterly income from investments that I can spend on whatever I want, more investments or something nice... or both some nice silver. To me thats what investing is supposed to be like.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:51 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:Are there many people here into dividend paying stocks? I know this is a metals forum but thats only a portion of my portfolio that Im trying to grow. I like the idea of actually having a monthly or quarterly income from investments that I can spend on whatever I want, more investments or something nice... or both some nice silver. To me thats what investing is supposed to be like.

yes I do. some of my long term favs are MO, PM, MRK, and PHE.

Stuff to make you ill and make you better......go figure
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:39 am

Bought some more CEF (at 24.89) when SILVER dropped a $1 around noontime.

Of note, at the close today, CEF is trading at a NEGATIVE -2.1 NAV discount; absolutely the lowest premium I've seen in quite a while.
Last edited by Country on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:36 pm

My silver stocks were looking good when silver was up $1.62 this morning, but when da boyz decided to crush it there went any gains I had, turned into losses. Even with AGQ up today it wasn't enough to keep the flotsam from sinking.
beauanderos

Postby DeanStockwell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Country wrote:Bought some more CEF (at 24.89) when SILVER dropped a $1 around noontime.

Of note, at the close today, CEF is trading at a NEGATIVE -2.1 NAV discount; absolutely the lowest premium I've seen in quite a while.

Are there any charts that track the premium of CEF? I'd like to see if there is a correlation between CEF premium and silver corrections.
Didn't do any buying or selling today,
still long SSW, MMS, SIX. Saw a few more stocks pop up on my screener but I've been too busy to do any research on them. Market looking real nice this week!
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DeanStockwell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm

BRO chart looks amazing. Planning on buying tomorrow...
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Nice move for LO today. Should have at least another 10-15% left in the run.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby DeanStockwell » Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Nice move for LO today. Should have at least another 10-15% left in the run.

Where is your stop positioned? Why?
What makes you think LO has another 10-15% left? Are you placing this trade off of any technicals or just LO's very impressive fundamentals?
What is your time span on this trade? Is it a long term play?
Good luck Rodebaugh! I will be watching LO, I may buy some at a discount if we see a rather large correction as a long term hold.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DeanStockwell » Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 pm

DJIA/S&P/NASDAQ: Should be a down week, save for any executions of leading Al Qaeda officials. :lol:

A bit upset that all of my stocks lagged the market explosion last week. My timespan is measured in weeks and not days, however.
LONG:
SSW
BRO
MMS

No defined stops on the above, although I will most likely sell if we see a -DI crossover on this stocks with confirmation.
As I have been busy this weekend, I will post some stocks that have came out of the screener, but I will say that I have done no additional research on them.
-AIR
-BRS
-CDR
-ETM
-FLR
-IO
-KGC
-OLL
-UVV
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Snagged some CEF shares during the panic open - $22.20. :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Closed out my My Small AGQ lot at $345.95 (close to todays top :) ) Luck, not skill on that one folks.

LO - No stop loss entered - Fundamentals....ie balance sheet, PE, EPS, and Strong Divi. (Though, it dosen't hurt that chart is Very Bullish)

Planned 1-2 month long position.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby DeanStockwell » Mon May 02, 2011 8:35 pm

Out of SSW. -DI crossed over the +DI, bearish sign. Sold for only a small loss. Also out of SIX.

LONG
BRO
MMS-Took SSW money and filled a second allocation at 78.92. This is a very nice chart.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 pm

MMS does look very attractive. Getting in with a second allocation ahead of the CC this Thursday. Anything you want to share Dean?

Sell me on it before CC. :P
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby DeanStockwell » Mon May 02, 2011 11:55 pm

I think they will beat consensus, though not by much. Maximus has a very good history of reporting in line with analysts and an occasional beat.
Nevertheless, the are a very high margin company and some of its peers who also have high margins have beat consensus.
-NCI(almost identical business as MMS), beat consensus.
-ADP, which is also employment services, beat consensus. Their profit is up 5% in 3Q.
-Most stocks coming out, especially in employment services, are meeting or beating consensus. I'm willing to take the risk, I think that MMS will provide very good gains in the upcoming weeks ahead. This chart is looking very nice and we should get a nice breakout if Maximus beats consensus or even meets it. :P

Nice link:
http://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=mms
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 03, 2011 7:41 am

DeanStockwell wrote:I think they will beat consensus, though not by much. Maximus has a very good history of reporting in line with analysts and an occasional beat.
Nevertheless, the are a very high margin company and some of its peers who also have high margins have beat consensus.
-NCI(almost identical business as MMS), beat consensus.
-ADP, which is also employment services, beat consensus. Their profit is up 5% in 3Q.
-Most stocks coming out, especially in employment services, are meeting or beating consensus. I'm willing to take the risk, I think that MMS will provide very good gains in the upcoming weeks ahead. This chart is looking very nice and we should get a nice breakout if Maximus beats consensus or even meets it. :P

Nice link:
http://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=mms

Thanks, Thats what I wanted to hear. I will attempt to obtain medium position today.

Nevermind, Low volume spooked me. Looking at other prospects for now.

Edit Add: Sold small amount of AA at $17.68 around lunch.....freeing up cash.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 04, 2011 7:38 am

Alot of paper silver trading hands pre-market.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Wed May 04, 2011 11:58 am

Put in limit orders to catch any big dip:

PHYS at 12.5
PSLV at 16
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 04, 2011 12:24 pm

68Camaro wrote:Put in limit orders to catch any big dip:

PHYS at 12.5
PSLV at 16

I have had a medium buy order waiting to trigger @ 230.55 for AGQ since open...... fingers crossed :P
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed May 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Sold all my silver miners and gold index funds in one account that were still showing a profit, used the proceeds to pick up more AGQ at $236. Damn numbers move fast, both ways, when you're trying to place an order. Best not to be too greedy, waiting for the stock to come to you, especially when it's on sale for 38.5% off of where it was a few days ago. 8-)
beauanderos

Postby DeanStockwell » Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Good luck beauanderos!
As for me, Maximus reports in the morning. Something tells me I won't be sleeping tonight... :lol:
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu May 05, 2011 8:56 am

Entertaining the idea of putting a trailing stop Buy order on AGQ. Any thoughts/recommendations on % value.

Dean, good luck with MMS today.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am

PSLV limit order at 16 filled
PSLV limit order at 15.25 open (went to 15.47 and back up)
PHYS limit order at 12.5 open
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 05, 2011 2:03 pm

68Camaro wrote:PSLV limit order at 16 filled
PHYS limit order at 12.5 open

PSLV limit order at 16 filled
PHYS limit order at 12.5 filled (hit low for day here and then back up)
68Camaro

PreviousNext

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions