Friday - GOLD OUTPERFORMING?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Friday - GOLD OUTPERFORMING?

Postby Country » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:08 pm

What happened on Friday? It appears that PM money managers were allocating away from SILVER and buying GOLD with the proceeds. Could this be start of a trend whereby GOLD outperforms SILVER? I do believe as long as GOLD moves higher, SILVER will not fall, but will follow along like it used to when GOLD outperformed prior to the fall of 2010.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Friday - GOLD OUTPERFORMING?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Dunno. I have both, so am cheering both on, but have a bit more silver than gold now, so might have to reallocate if this becomes a new trend. I think Gold had just gotten so far behind that it was due. And Silver seemed to need a couple of days of rest after the mania earlier in the week.

Any real evidence that managers were actually choosing to allocate away from silver to gold, rather than just reacting?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:30 pm

I saw more then one source that was telling folks to diverge into gold from silver at this point.... In the short rn it could easily be right imo, gold hasnt moved as fast as silver lately. But I still think silver will outperform gold overall, for some time to come....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Country wrote:What happened on Friday? It appears that PM money managers were allocating away from SILVER and buying GOLD with the proceeds. Could this be start of a trend whereby GOLD outperforms SILVER? I do believe as long as GOLD moves higher, SILVER will not fall, but will follow along like it used to when GOLD outperformed prior to the fall of 2010.

They probably felt, as do many, that silver has made a significant rise in the past several months and is overdue for a pullback. They are locking in profits, and parking them in gold, which is "safe" and which may be due to rally itself as silver corrects and/or consolidates. I also think that gold, being a vastly larger market than silver, is not as easy to cap price rises. As the public perception fastens on gold it may be the next beneficiary of depreciating dollar dismay, but silver will have it's turn again.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brian0918 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 pm

CME Group and MF Global have both been raising their margin requirements for silver these last few days, which puts downward pressure on the price. Here's an article from November 2010 showing what happened to the silver price when CME raised their margin requirements by 30%.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXTim » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 pm

I believe that the ratio of 32:1 is as good as it will get for now and gold is cheap right now compared to silver.
Many, including me probably believe that gold will remain more stable than silver in the next couple of months.
Sell some silver and convert it to gold. Buy the silver back when it tanks.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals