what is the etiquette for searching rolled coins?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

what is the etiquette for searching rolled coins?

Postby kidman232 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:05 pm

I guess I never really thought about searching bank rolls for silver coins in circulation and was looking for some tips from those who do so.

1. do you call the bank before hand and ask them to hold a set amount of rolls for you (my bank is by a lot of restaurants who use them for change/deposits)

2. how many rolls can you get within one trip thats resonable to the staff?

3. how quickly do you redeposit the coin rolls back to your bank?

4. do you mark the rolls in anyway so you don't keep searching the same rolls?

any other tips or items I missed?

thanks
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: what is the etiquette for searching rolled coins?

Postby Morsecode » Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 pm

1. You won't know that until you first go in person and ask what is most convenient for them.

2. Again, you'll find out as you go. Generally, start with one box (or bag)...after a while, you can just ask what the max might be at that branch. Usually at the manager's discretion.

3. Never redeposit coins at your pickup branch.

4. If you follow rule #3 you won't have to worry about tracing your own returnables.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:23 pm

I order by the box,you want to start out small just ask for a box of nickels dimes or quarters.Quarters seem to be the hardest to find any silver in.Halves they will have to special order....As for returning coin,Never return to the same bank you buy from! The preferred method is to find a bank that has self serve coin counters in the lobby.open a no fees account with them,use them to dump coin.I recycle my money from paper to coin to paper fast because I dont have enough to keep it all tied up in coin...How banks accept and sell coin varies so you should just start out by going to some banks! Good Luck
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby brian0918 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:29 pm

I couldn't find any banks that have coin counters around here, but there is one that accepts bagged coins - they provide the bags, I just fill them up. The turn-around time is slow though - a couple weeks before I see the deposit available in my bank account.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby psi » Tue May 03, 2011 4:20 am

I do pretty low volume but several nearby branches of my bank are able to supply a box each of pennies, nickels and dimes with no advance notice, which I don't ask for more than every week. A standing order would probably allow me to do more volume but I never got around to setting up, and the banks here don't drop hints that it would be a good idea as has happened in other places I have lived.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:44 pm

any other tips guys? plan on hitting up my bank when I get off work tomorrow
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennysaved » Tue May 03, 2011 4:52 pm

If the tellers offer to order you coin, throw in a box of candy from time to time.

Many branches are trying to charge for boxes of coin. If you find a branch willing to order for free and they are nice about it, consider yourself fortunate and give them a little reward.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Tue May 03, 2011 7:04 pm

kidman232 wrote:any other tips guys? plan on hitting up my bank when I get off work tomorrow

YES!!!! I've learned that my time is better spent finding other banks rather than by going through massive amounts of halves. To each his own... but I've found over $25 in 90% halves because I DON'T keep going to the same banks (or even my bank). I do have a good rapor with a few tellers at a few banks... and I have found silver at all three... but my best scores have come by going to banks all over the place that I don't bank with and simply ask them for rolls of halves. So far... it's paid off!

Just my .50 cents worth... happy hunting! Post your finds for tomorrow!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals