Yard Sale Find - 2 bullion bars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Yard Sale Find - 2 bullion bars

Postby ZigMeister » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Mossy wrote:
ZigMeister wrote:
Mossy wrote:Ingot wts would be nice.

Look at the pic...Weights are shown under each bar.
Those photos are blocked on this network and I'm having trouble finding a wireless ISP locally that is accessible using Linux (my personal computers).

One bar weighs 1.396 lbs (634 grams); the other weighs 1.246 lbs (566 grams).
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 pm

ZigMeister wrote: One bar weighs 1.396 lbs (634 grams); the other weighs 1.246 lbs (566 grams).
Thanks.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Works out close to 6500Kg per cubic meter. That's between a lot of things, but if the corners of the bricks are rounded, then either tin or zinc sounds likely. (I've tried to melt zinc, it evaporates if it's not under a flux.)

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/volume

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal ... -d_50.html

Could be zirconium, but that would be an odd thing to find like that.

But, then again, so would a 1,000 ounce "doorstop".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 pm

This is so exciting! I keep coming back to the post cause I want to know what they are!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby gojomoso » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:26 pm

cant wait to read what you (hopefully) find out tomorrow!
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ZigMeister » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:35 pm

brian0918 wrote:Based on your rough dimensions, and the average weight of the two, they are not dense enough to be silver. Silver has a density over 10000 kg/m^3, but this stuff is approximately 6000 kg/m^3 (though it could be a higher because of the depressions in the middle). To get a more accurate density, you need to put them in a measuring cup full of water and see how much volume the water rises by. Based on the color and approximate density it is probably tin.

I placed the bar that weighs 1.246 lbs. (566 grams) in a beaker containing 8 oz of water...the water level rose to 11 oz for a displacement of 3 oz. ???
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm

A displacement of 3 fluid ounces, which is a volume measure, or 0.00008872 cubic meters (use above conversion link). Divide the .566Kg by that and get 6380 Kg per cubic meter.

I don't know what it can be. Babbit or "white metal" looks closest, but that's just what I see on the chart.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Gamecock » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:29 pm

ZigMeister wrote:
Approx. size is 3 1/2 inches long x 1 3/4 inches wide and 1 inch thick.

that's what she said
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm

If they float in a pond, they're witches, and you should burn them! If they sink, they're silver...
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:12 pm

It could be a combination of multiple metals - one that is higher density, and one lower - e.g. tin and aluminum.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby psi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 pm

So was it 3 fluid oz on the dot or a bit off from that? The more accurate you can get on the volume the better, if there are ml gradations that would be perfect for working out density as g/cc. 1 g/cc (1 g/ml) is the same as 1000 kg/m3 I believe.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZigMeister » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:32 am

psi wrote:So was it 3 fluid oz on the dot or a bit off from that? The more accurate you can get on the volume the better, if there are ml gradations that would be perfect for working out density as g/cc. 1 g/cc (1 g/ml) is the same as 1000 kg/m3 I believe.

It was a very small amount over 3 oz...that's as close as I can get.
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Take them to the local college chem lab and offer lunch to whoever can solve the mystery! :)
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Take them to the local college chem lab and offer lunch to whoever can solve the mystery! :)

LOL

That'd work.

I was going to suggest "free beer", but alcohol makes some chemicals have a stronger effect, and smart chem students avoid it.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

You guys are making the poor guy clean his bars over and over... the test of displacement of water is to only be used to verify pure metal for which you already know the specific gravity. Getting volumetric data on a bar of unknown purity will not give you any kind of actionable information.

I have an idea. Send it off to this guy:

Market Harmony LLC
PO Box 13
Natrona Heights, PA 15065-0013

Include $25 for an assay to be done, plus $5 return shipping. A nice hello note might be good, too. That way you will get a complete breakdown of the alloy.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:12 pm

OK let me take a stab at this.

Silver has a density of about 10.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

1 ml = 1 cubic centimeter.

You have 1200 grams so if it is silver it should displace (1200/10.49) ml, or 114.4 ml.

You say it displaced 3 fluid ounces, 88.71 ml (recognizing that you did mot measure exactly). It displaced less than it should have, so the metal you have is more dense - about 30% more dense – than silver based on your rough measurement.

Just as a comparison, lead has a density of 11.3 grams per cm3, which gets you to 106.2 ml or about 3.6 fluid ounces.

So its more dense than lead.

If you set up an algebraic equation 1200 grams / ( X – the mystery metal density) = 3 fluid ounces = 3*(29.57 ml per fluid ounce), you can solve for the mystery metal’s density to be approximately 13.5.

Looking at known densities of metals, I’d say its very close to mercury!

Some densities are published here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density

of course, mercury is a liquid at room temperature so I must have made a mistake somewhere.

as a side note, someone (who might be better at math than me) suggested it might be zinc. Zinc is at $1/lb, so if its zinc you overpaid and I withdraw my offer to buy these for $3! lol
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm

That'd be a lot of amalgam!!!

Doc care to weigh in with your expertise on this alloy, lol?
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby brian0918 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:You have 1200 grams so if it is silver it should displace (1200/10.49) ml, or 114.4 ml.

You say it displaced 3 fluid ounces, 88.71 ml (recognizing that you did mot measure exactly).

This is where you made your mistake. He said that the 566 gram bar displaced 3 ounces, not that both bars combined displaced that amount.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:56 pm

The estimated density of 6.3-6-5 (both calcuated and roughly measured) is well below the densities of silver, lead, gold. It only correlates well with two types of alloys: zinc/aluminum alloys and zirconium alloys. Zirconium is unusual, and when found, it would largely available in wrought plate, not cast bar; as previously noted (while I happen to have a piece of a type of it), the odds of these being cast zirconium are slim to none.

A materials database I have access to suggests it to be one of several zinc/aluminum alloys. As an example:

ASTM Standard B791-88: Alloy ZA-8 (UNS Z35636)
Composition: Zn/8-8.8Al/.8-1.3Cu/.015-.03Mg/<.075Fe/<.006Pb/<.006Cd/<.003Sn
Density: 6250 to 6350 kg/m^3
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 pm

brian0918 wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:You have 1200 grams so if it is silver it should displace (1200/10.49) ml, or 114.4 ml.

You say it displaced 3 fluid ounces, 88.71 ml (recognizing that you did mot measure exactly).

This is where you made your mistake. He said that the 566 gram bar displaced 3 ounces, not that both bars combined displaced that amount.

Thanks! that was bugging me.

if it was pure zinc, it should have displaced 2.74 fluid ounces, which is within 10% of his rough estimate so that's my guess.

how funny would that be if it turns out that someone sold their pure zinc bullion to a copper hoarder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm

My yard can shoot it. see if yours can.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Like all the other people here, I have done the research, and narrowed it down to one of the following:

Silver, aluminum, zinc, iron, platinum, nickel, gallium, steel, Iridium, Tantulum, Tungsten, Rhenium, Zirconium, Palladium, Lithium, Molybdenum, Cadmium, Caesium, Rubidium, Cobalt, Beryllium, Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium, Barium, Radium, Scandium, Titanium, Vanadium, Chromium, Manganese, yttrium, Niobium, Technetium, Ruthenium, Rhodium, Hafnium, Osmium,

It could also be some combination of the above (educated) guesses.

I think there's a small, unlikely chance it is mercury or copper (white copper of course), maybe even white gold. :D
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm

A friend just got a submission rejected from a refiner. They melted his stuff down and returned to him a lump of metal that looks like the 'bars' pictured.

He also received and assay report saying the metal chunk was 14% Ag and the rest Cu.

Yours could be somthing like that. The water displacement test won't work if it's an alloy. But you can rule out if it's .99999.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:25 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Like all the other people here, I have done the research, and narrowed it down to one of the following:

Silver, aluminum, zinc, iron, platinum, nickel, gallium, steel, Iridium, Tantulum, Tungsten, Rhenium, Zirconium, Palladium, Lithium, Molybdenum, Cadmium, Caesium, Rubidium, Cobalt, Beryllium, Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium, Barium, Radium, Scandium, Titanium, Vanadium, Chromium, Manganese, yttrium, Niobium, Technetium, Ruthenium, Rhodium, Hafnium, Osmium,

I think there's a small, unlikely chance it is mercury or copper (white copper of course), maybe even white gold. :D

Oh come on, with CSI-like results nowadays, that list should be down to like 5 metals, a full complete metallurgical breakdown, with a clear blow-up of the license plate of the serial killer involved in melting down the jewelry of the prostitutes he's been killing.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:02 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
avidbrandy wrote:Like all the other people here, I have done the research, and narrowed it down to one of the following:

Oh come on, with CSI-like results nowadays, that list should be down to like 5 metals, a full complete metallurgical breakdown, with a clear blow-up of the license plate of the serial killer involved in melting down the jewelry of the prostitutes he's been killing.

I like that last bit that's good stuff.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals