A Confession to make

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A Confession to make

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 am

Hello realcent members

I just wanted to say that although most members here are adults, I am only 10 years old.

Yes, this is no joke. I am only 10 years old. That is the major reason that my collection of silver is so small - 21 toz. and is unable to grow at a constant rate. Please do not make fun of my age and treat me like any other individual.

Thanks.
realmoneyHOARDER

Re: A Confession to make

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 am

good for you. this is a great sight to learn about a lot of things.

my son is only 8 and he has been sorting pennies since he was 5.

he doesn't post but he stacks silver.

his best find was an 1892-S half dollar.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 am

Oh and one more thing. Im located in Canada, so I cant really Crh for silver. Just copper, .999 nickel, and us+candian cuni (cupronickel). I have been sorting and stacking "actively" for about 2 months and just a week ago I hit the $50 copper mark (of Canadian cu)!

IMO junk 90% and 80% is the best. I have about 18 onces stored in that and 2 maples and Im saving up for a Lunar year of the rabbit as ive seen premiums sky high on those.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 am

That's cool. As I'm sure you already know, there is a ton of information to be learned here and I'm sure you can teach some of the old dogs a few tricks, so keep the posts coming.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:23 am

No problem here... I wish there were many more like you.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 am

68Camaro wrote:No problem here... I wish there were many more like you.

Sorry, I dont get what you mean by that.
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 am

realmoneyHOARDER wrote:
68Camaro wrote:No problem here... I wish there were many more like you.

Sorry, I dont get what you mean by that.

I mean that you being 10 years old doesn't bother me. What I care about with regard to forum posting is how people behave. There are adults that act like they are 3. Any 10 year-old who can be mature, polite, respectful will - I am sure - generally be well-received.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 am

[/quote/]I mean that you being 10 years old doesn't bother me. What I care about with regard to forum posting is how people behave. There are adults that act like they are 3. Any 10 year-old who can be mature, polite, respectful will - I am sure - generally be well-received.[/quote/]

Oh! Thanks.
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby Treetop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:34 am

I wish i was looking at silver and gold instead of baseball cards when I was 10. I must of "invested" 4-5k into baseball cards from childhood to my early teens....

Im curious realmoneyhoarder.... Is one of your parents or grandparents an advocate of sound money? did you realize this yourself?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 am

Treetop wrote:I wish i was looking at silver and gold instead of baseball cards when I was 10. I must of "invested" 4-5k into baseball cards from childhood to my early teens....

Im curious realmoneyhoarder.... Is one of your parents or grandparents an advocate of sound money? did you realize this yourself?

As a matter of fact, I came across this forum myself around October of 2010 when searching up lincoln cents as I was into coin collecting at the time and I liked the forum so I joined as a very inactive member in December. And no my parents or grandparents do not really stack silver &/or gold, however my mother is a "collector" of jewellery of all sorts though.

Hope that clears up your question.
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:01 am

i started in coins when i was 10 or 11. i would go to the bank and buy 4 or 5 rolls of cents at a time and search them. it never amounted to much. I bough a few silver proof sets too. this was when silver spiked in 1980. I did OK but then prices crashed for more than 2 decades.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 am

Dude, you have your act together better than most 5 times your age and 21 ounces is pretty good, and better than most adults.

Hang in there, and stay away from drugs and booze. (I know a lot of people who were the kind most people respect and listen to, until they got hooked on one or the other, and turned into stupid babies in adult bodies, to be regarded with contempt.)

:( The "Canada" part, though. Hmmmm. (teasing)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 pm

First of all, welcome. I was quite heavily involved in stamp collecting at your age, and had the internet been available then, would have probably been posting. Question. You say you can't roll hunt in Canada? Why not? Do you mean the returns would be terrible? Not worth the effort? Or that you can't afford to ask for rolls because of the cost? Just curious, because now that I think of it, I don't recall anyone posting in the halves tracking thread that has reported on Canadian finds on any kind of regular basis.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby coppertone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 pm

beauanderos wrote: I don't recall anyone posting in the halves tracking thread that has reported on Canadian finds on any kind of regular basis.

Canadian halves made of nickel(1968) are not the same diameter as the earlier silver halves and could not be rolled up together. The only silver I come across is the occasional dime 50% or 80% dime.
Last edited by coppertone on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:53 pm

beauanderos wrote:First of all, welcome. I was quite heavily involved in stamp collecting at your age, and had the internet been available then, would have probably been posting. Question. You say you can't roll hunt in Canada? Why not? Do you mean the returns would be terrible? Not worth the effort? Or that you can't afford to ask for rolls because of the cost? Just curious, because now that I think of it, I don't recall anyone posting in the halves tracking thread that has reported on Canadian finds on any kind of regular basis.

No. I CAN roll hunt in Canada. Its just that the only denominations worth searching are pennies and nickels. Pennies I usually get around a percentage of 40% - 50%.
For nickels I don't really keep track of percentages. The percentage of silvers is very low, half dollars are never at any bank and I think the government is obligated to remove silver from circulation. Even if halves were available what coppertone said comes into effect. Whatever slips by the government is very low and reported averages and about 2 dimes per 5 boxes and I have not seen any quarter reports. This paired with the fact that I am a 10 year old child, therefore I cannot afford buying quarters or dimes except in amounts too small to have any silver.

Hope this helps.
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

your penny percentage is well above the u.s., but the dime and quarter is about the same.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 pm

You have already demonstrated that you have the ability. Never start thinking you cannot do something because you are "only" so many years old. There are other, perfectly valid, reasons. Age isn't.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Mossy wrote:You have already demonstrated that you have the ability. Never start thinking you cannot do something because you are "only" so many years old. There are other, perfectly valid, reasons. Age isn't.

I'll second that! I almost don't believe that you are 10! You seem well spoken and OBVIOUSLY wise beyond your years. I'll take you at your word though :D As Mossy mentioned... don't let your age hold you back. I graduated college with an 87 year old man! I also knew a 16 year old kid there as well.

Heck... I'd like to find one... JUST ONE... other 10 year old who reads things that you are reading and acting upon that. MOST kids... HECK... MOST PEOPLE... don't know what coins are made of! I hear it ALL the time! People see rolls of halves and think they've hit the JACKPOT cause I just handed them a roll of silver cause in their minds ALL halves are silver. I'm TRYING to get my nephew into coins... but he's just WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY to caught up in video games (and I can't blame him... I was too at his age!). Continue on your path of seeking wisdom 1st and you WILL have a NICE life I ASSURE YOU!

FYI... I was into baseball cards. I sold almost all of them last week for $150. After researching them... They were worth MORE in the 80's when I collected them then they are now. That's the power the internet and e-bay has wielded over collectable items. Silver (and 21 toz AIN'T CHUMP CHANGE)... will ALWAYS be worth SOMETHING!.. And my bet is each oz will NEVER be worth less than $10/oz.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 pm

realmoneyHOARDER wrote:Hello realcent members

I just wanted to say that although most members here are adults, I am only 10 years old.

Yes, this is no joke. I am only 10 years old. That is the major reason that my collection of silver is so small - 21 toz. and is unable to grow at a constant rate. Please do not make fun of my age and treat me like any other individual.

Thanks.

Welcome to the fun!! :)

My father started me on the coin and stamp path at 8 years old! 21 ozt at your age is terrific!!! Keep it up. I wish I could find all those pure nickel Canadian five cent pieces you have up there. Lucky you!

I look forward to your comments. Good luck!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 pm

10 years old hummm, your grammer and writing skills surpasses your age by many years.......Either your very very well advanced for your age or you FOS :) My daughter is 9 and makes all A's there is no way she could even come close to writing up something like that, I would be absolutely amazed if your were and I know its possible, just very rare.... How old are you really now??
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aristobolus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:09 am

I grew up in the Detroit area, and at your age I was collecting Canadian Coins (which freely travelled across the Ambassador Bridge). I wish you the best in this hobby!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 am

realmoneyHOARDER wrote:Hello realcent members

Thanks.

Dear Hoarder,
i would NEVER make fun of you, in fact, i'm PROUD of you as i'm a father also of a 15 year old boy, who was my "push" to start buying silver as currency insurance. We had been talking a few years back, and then one day, he begged his mother to start buying silver, and she laughed and said, you been talking to your dad", so i took that as a sign to start REALLY buying silver coins!

so i'm proud of you, you're on the right path. (i'm gonna call you Junior, as you got to be VERY careful on the internet, and never ever give people you're real name, town etc. its that talking to strangers thing....so how does "Jr" sound?)

Jr, coin collecting is great, a swell hobby, but what you might want to think about doing, is to start putting away rolls of nickels. as you probably know, the nickel is the only US coin, that is worth its real metal value, and soon the government is going to change it and make it kess.

far as silver, i dont know your allowance, but when grandparents, uncles, aunts and even your parents ask you what you want for your brithday, or Christmas, you tell them, "I would like a couple of American Silver Eagles"....sure Xbox games are great, and continue to play that, but see if you can get silver coins as gifts, get a little lockbox, and make your own bank. Grandparents, if they have money are the easiest touch.....and Jr. 21 oz is a very nice collection!

what silver coins you like? i like to collect rolls of 90% US silver dimes, quarters and half dollars.

Your "confession" is a good thing to do, because the truth is always the way to go...you know that.

Proud of you, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:05 am

When I've asked about halves/'large' dollars at banks here, I've been told that they do get deposited occasionally and can be purchased if you catch them before they get sent away in about a week. I guess you need to be asking all the time at a few places to catch any.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:19 am

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all your nice comments. But now to answer some questions!

ScottyTX wrote:10 years old hummm, your grammer and writing skills surpasses your age by many years.......Either your very very well advanced for your age or you FOS :) My daughter is 9 and makes all A's there is no way she could even come close to writing up something like that, I would be absolutely amazed if your were and I know its possible, just very rare.... How old are you really now??

Yes ScottyTX, I am 10 yrs. old!

[\quote]what silver coins you like? i like to collect rolls of 90% US silver dimes, quarters and half dollars.[\quote]

I like junk silver 80% and 90% the most. I almost have a roll of mixed (US&CA) silver halves full! Im also buying a 2011 Year of the Rabbit and getting maybe a Phillharmonic or an ASE or a Panda maybe even an ASE or GRizzly for my b-day in JUly!

[\quote]When I've asked about halves/'large' dollars at banks here, I've been told that they do get deposited occasionally and can be purchased if you catch them before they get sent away in about a week. I guess you need to be asking all the time at a few places to catch any.[\quote]

psi, what banks do you ask at? From what ive heard, silver halves are a greater diameter than
normal stell/nickel halves.
realmoneyHOARDER

Postby psi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 am

I have an account with TD so I do all my coin dealings with them pretty much. The silver halves are larger than the 1968-date ones as you say, so ordering a box here might be pointless but I'm not sure if any banks here will do that anyway (for halves). If it's a customer deposit it could well all be silver though. If a bank had nickel 'large dollars' I would probably take those too, their bullion value is less than face but I like the heft of the coins and I think people pay some premium over face for them.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals