Dumped $1000 in a single dime bag; got the talk

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Dumped $1000 in a single dime bag; got the talk

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:38 am

Ummm, so I usually do $500-600 in a single dime bag, but I had a huge amount of dimes to dump this time (lots of CWR's) and thought I would spread it out over two days at $1000 each bag. So I took in a single (very heavy) dime bag and sure enough, while I'm sweating profusely, the teller said that we can't lift it too easily and could you please split it over two bags (right then and there). I said sure, but if I split it for you right now, the two bags won't be exact count and they'll charge the bank a fee, of which will then be passed on to me. She consulted with another, wheeled out the cart and said that we'll let it go this time, but in the future, please do half a bag. No problem, I said. Of course, then she asked me how often would I be bringing in coin. Thinking fast, I politely said, 'just once or twice a week.' Ok, that will be fine then. Of course, what I didn't tell her was that I was dumping at other branches too on different days. :lol:

OK, not 'the full talk' yet, but still...

Stupid me. A man's got to know his limitations.

On another note....I obtained another dump bank a while back, but I haven't been using them nearly as often. I will make sure that I spread the wealth around a little more. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Dumped $1000 in a single dime bag; got the talk

Postby Country » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:30 am

The teller ladies really don't like to carry around big bags of coins. One lady once told me, "Wouldn't it be nice if all the coins were plastic?" While I don't have any dumping fees, when I bring coins into my dump bank branches, I try to limit my canvas bag size to no more than $250 of coins in a bag. My penny bags run a little larger, but I try to keep them to about $35. I spread my dumps around, and never visit any one dump branch more than once a week. I try to make it easier for them because they are doing a free service for me.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 am

Country wrote:The teller ladies really don't like to carry around big bags of coins. One lady once told me, "Wouldn't it be nice if all the coins were plastic?" While I don't have any dumping fees, when I bring coins into my dump bank branches, I try to limit my canvas bag size to no more than $250 of coins in a bag. My penny bags run a little larger, but I try to keep them to about $35. I spread my dumps around, and never visit any one dump branch more than once a week. I try to make it easier for them because they are doing a free service for me.

Well said!!! :)

Although I sort on a much, much smaller scale than the vast majority of you and for primarily different reasons, being a tiny bit selfish I would hate to see this hobby ruined to where no one could get coins to sort. Sitting home 24/5 is boring and sorting coins gives me some relief as I can only do my other hobbies in limited amounts and I can almost always sort with my eye patched when I am feeling too poorly to do anything else.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:36 am

HPMBTT wrote:Ummm, so I usually do $500-600 in a single dime bag, but I had a huge amount of dimes to dump this time (lots of CWR's) and thought I would spread it out over two days at $1000 each bag. So I took in a single (very heavy) dime bag and sure enough, while I'm sweating profusely, the teller said that we can't lift it too easily and could you please split it over two bags (right then and there). I said sure, but if I split it for you right now, the two bags won't be exact count and they'll charge the bank a fee, of which will then be passed on to me. She consulted with another, wheeled out the cart and said that we'll let it go this time, but in the future, please do half a bag. No problem, I said. Of course, then she asked me how often would I be bringing in coin. Thinking fast, I politely said, 'just once or twice a week.' Ok, that will be fine then. Of course, what I didn't tell her was that I was dumping at other branches too on different days. :lol:

OK, not 'the full talk' yet, but still...

Stupid me. A man's got to know his limitations.

On another note....I obtained another dump bank a while back, but I haven't been using them nearly as often. I will make sure that I spread the wealth around a little more. :)

Whats "funny" is that the bank will get charged the same by the armored to process 1 full bag as one half bag so the bank is actually getting charged more because of their request.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals