Fly for free thanks to the U.S. Mint

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fly for free thanks to the U.S. Mint

Postby thaler » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:40 pm

For some people, racking up frequent flier miles can border on obsession. Supermarket purchases, restaurant meals, clothing, entertainment -- if it can go on the frequent flier card, it does. But racking up thousands of frequent flier miles for free? That's a trick that all but the truly dedicated can only dream about.

But it's possible, and best of all, it's legal.

More from Forbes.com:

• Essential Gear for Smart Travel

• The Fastest Aircraft in History

• How to Complain to Customer Service and Win

Not exactly ethical, but it's not a crime -- at least not yet. The trick (it feels more like a scam) is to use a government program meant for promoting the circulation of dollar coins for everyday use. And it's not new: travel hackers have been doing it for years, and it's only recently that the federal government has caught on and done something about it.

It goes something like this: The U.S. Mint, through a 2005 act of Congress, is required to place $1 billion worth of the golden presidential and Sacagewea dollars into circulation in an effort to stimulate general use. The only problem is, the coins haven't really caught on with the general public. But there is one group of people that have enthusiastically embraced their use: travel hackers, so called because they aggressively look for loopholes in promotional programs and for tips on travel websites for ways in which to make the best use of their travel dollars. Much of this "hacking" involves taking advantage of frequent flier programs in unique and innovative ways.

[Click here to check savings products and rates in your area.]

The dollar coin trick involves purchasing large amounts of coins with a frequent flier card, waiting for the Mint to ship the coins (free shipping!), and then taking the coins to the bank, where they are deposited and the money is used to pay the credit card charges. No money is lost, the frequent flier miles rack up, and travelers can use them for upgrades or completely free flights whenever they want. According to NPR's Planet Money, which broadcast a story about the scheme on Wednesday morning, the Mint caught on when some customers started buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of free coins, so it has since limited purchases to $1,000 every ten days. But 3,000 free frequent fliers miles per month still isn't a bad deal. NPR quotes Mint spokesman Tom Jurkowsky about the ways in which the Mint has tried to curb the practice: "Do we feel a little bit violated? Yes, and that's why we aggressively sought measures to eliminate what we called an abuse."

One site, TravelHacking.org, promotes these methods as a way to gain money through membership through its website, but it's not really necessary to pay any money at all to learn some of the best ways to travel hack -- in fact, many of these methods are enthusiastically promoted on various travel sites. Popular travel website Gadling wrote about the tactic in April, discussing the trick's growing popularity, how it resembles a cash advance, and how the IRS doesn't consider it a cash advance for tax purposes. For many with the financial flexibility to have $3,000 a month in circulation, it seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. As stated above, it's not a new phenomenon: The Wall Street Journal wrote about the coin trick in 2009, which ultimately may have played a role in the Mint's crackdown.

Contrary to some reports, the practice hasn't ended since the Mint enacted the new rules; it's only slowed down. You can find the web page for the Mint's coin program here.

And until frequent flier miles card issuers catch on and do something about the practice, it seems likely to attract the sort of customers who are looking at the fine print of their rewards programs for any and all ways in which to maximize their mileage. 8-)

___
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Fly for free thanks to the U.S. Mint

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Yahoo has been running articles like this for a few years now. I get it that its still practiced but come on!
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jerry278 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Haha I was just about to post that article Thaler!
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Wall Street Journal had this in 2009.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 pm

HAHAHA,

I heard about this for the cash-back feature on some cards, but never for miles!

Almost makes me wish I had a CC lol
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thaler » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:19 pm

I call myself trying to relay "news" about coins & buillion and stuff, but I see Yahoo is making an ass out of me...lol oh well.. I tried.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:32 am

Forbes is way behind the times...this is old news. The mint put the max coin purchase some time ago. Yesterday i picked up all the hard dollars will cashing in zincs....the teller told me about the 1.2 billion gold dollars the FED is holding....and I told her about the 88 cents we the people make from each one the fed has to buy from the treasury....my score was 5 Ikes and 2 Suzie B's and 23 gold dollars and one clad half. :)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:43 am

This is pretty old newes.... You used to be able to buy unlimited amounts and than it was worth your time. Now you are limited to I think $500 a president and $1k for the others. Possible to make a small amount but no where near what your time is worth anymore.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:41 pm

occassionally these things work.

there was a dot.com magazine company called valumags that gave points (too many) for magazine subscriptions. there is a classic thread on this on flyertalk. people were getting flights on the Concorde (all first class) for about $200 bucks.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:55 pm

My best frequent flyer story....

In 2000 Kelloggs had a frequent flyer promotion with American Airlines on certain brands of Kelloggs products and Healthy Choice cereals. There were 100 mile certificates printed on cartons. You had to mail in five 100 mile AAdvantage certificates at the time.

Anyway, I scored big...I contact the local Boys and Girls Club and told them I wanted to feed all the kids breakfast and that I would donate boxes of Kellogg Waffles. I purchased cases and cases of waffles at Wal-Mart paying with AMEX and got reward points for the purchase, then I donated the waffles to the club and got tax deduction for the donation. Finally I clipped the certificates mailed them off the and got frequent flyer points. Everyone was happy and I booked two round trip flights to Las Vegas. ;)

Ah, those were the days!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby twentybux » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:My best frequent flyer story....

In 2000 Kelloggs had a frequent flyer promotion with American Airlines on certain brands of Kelloggs products and Healthy Choice cereals. There were 100 mile certificates printed on cartons. You had to mail in five 100 mile AAdvantage certificates at the time.

Anyway, I scored big...I contact the local Boys and Girls Club and told them I wanted to feed all the kids breakfast and that I would donate boxes of Kellogg Waffles. I purchased cases and cases of waffles at Wal-Mart paying with AMEX and got reward points for the purchase, then I donated the waffles to the club and got tax deduction for the donation. Finally I clipped the certificates mailed them off the and got frequent flyer points. Everyone was happy and I booked two round trip flights to Las Vegas. ;)

Ah, those were the days!

Heck- That's the best frequent flyer story I have ever heard. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:46 am

i bought about $100 in magazine subscriptions and took the wife to Italy in Business Class.

there were folks who bought a few hundred bucks in magazine subscriptions, donated them to libraries and hospitals, and got trips on the Concorde for about $250 that would have otherwise costs thousands.

but the all time record was pudding guy, who spent $3,000 gross for palets of pudding and converted that to over a million frequent flyer miles, good for 31 round trip tickets to Europe or 50 in the U.S. He also got an $850 tax deduction, so his net cost per Europe round trip ticket was $75.

http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pudding.asp
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:58 am

I remember reading about people buying those coins on credit cards for the rewards... really goes to show you how sick the money system is when credit card companies will basically pay you to borrow money in the hope that you'll have to carry a balance and pay them interest.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:04 am

Ah, those were the days!

It's a good thing the IRS has already closed your books for that year.

If you wrote off the waffles than you would have been required (i think) to declare the value of the tickets.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:43 pm

statue of limitations is 6 years.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:42 am

psi wrote:I remember reading about people buying those coins on credit cards for the rewards... really goes to show you how sick the money system is when credit card companies will basically pay you to borrow money in the hope that you'll have to carry a balance and pay them interest.

I think it's more that they are bribing you with a cut of their merchant fees. Even after
the cashback/air miles/other perk they are still ahead. So the merchant, in this case the
U.S. Government is paying for your perk plus whatever left over the bank keeps.

So the bank doesn't need you to pay interest to make money on the deal. Though I'm sure
they'll be even happier if you do that too. Makes me wish I lived closer to the border, I'm a
little too far to justify renting a P.O. Box in North Dakota.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby psi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:09 pm

I hadn't thought of it that way but that makes sense.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ardorlan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:38 am

How good this is going to work for you depends highly on your credit rating,
I got the 1% cash back rewards card from capital one, and they set my credit limit at 500$ a month, meaning I will make 5$ a month or 60$ a year, and there is a 40$ annual fee, so I will be making an awesome 20$ a year from this. That being said I have fair credit, I found much better cards you can get if you have excellent credit. I am hoping that I will be able to raise my limit to 1,000 soon (making a profit of $80/year), and I am also hoping this credit card will help to establish my credit.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:51 am

ardorlan wrote:How good this is going to work for you depends highly on your credit rating,
I got the 1% cash back rewards card from capital one, and they set my credit limit at 500$ a month, meaning I will make 5$ a month or 60$ a year, and there is a 40$ annual fee, so I will be making an awesome 20$ a year from this. That being said I have fair credit, I found much better cards you can get if you have excellent credit. I am hoping that I will be able to raise my limit to 1,000 soon (making a profit of $80/year), and I am also hoping this credit card will help to establish my credit.

If you are paying for a credit card (annual fee) that only has a credit limit of $500 than you need a differnt credit card!!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:01 am

I use a credit card that earns points that you can turn into hotel stays. We put everything on it and pay it off every month. If I bought $1000 worth of dollar coins every ten days for a year I would accumulate 36,000 points which is good for 5-12 free nights depending on hotel quality. Stays generally range from 3000 for average quality hotel to 10,000 per night for the resort types.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:I use a credit card that earns points that you can turn into hotel stays. We put everything on it and pay it off every month. If I bought $1000 worth of dollar coins every ten days for a year I would accumulate 36,000 points which is good for 5-12 free nights depending on hotel quality. Stays generally range from 3000 for average quality hotel to 10,000 per night for the resort types.

i used to do this on hilton and starwood. its difficult to make the points worth more than 2 cents each. so i just got a fidelity mastercard that pays 2% to my son's college fund (529 plan). also, you are at risk of them jacking up the number of points required, and at hilton spending points makes sense only if you buy 6 days at a time at the same place - otherwise the cost per night is very high. Fidelity has some cards that pay you cash directly but its only 1.5% that way.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

hobo finds

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Ah, those were the days!

You're my kind of guy. I used Safeway, a credit card, 1st Tuesday 10% of and massive purchases of soup, cat food, and other items to earn enough Canadian Airmiles to get a john deere riding lawn mower, pay for my wedding and honeymoon cruise + flights, exercise equipment, and a grand of free gas. Almost all was donated and I enjoyed the tax receipts. Value received way more than spent. Those were the days when I had time to burn and no family to worry about.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby ardorlan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:25 pm

This program from the mint has ended.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ifier=8100
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals