Thoughts on selling silver dimes.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Thoughts on selling silver dimes.

Postby Josh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Here is the background: A friend I work with, his dad bought $500 in silver dimes back in the 80's, and is now wanting to sale them because of the price of silver is up. He asked me to help sale them because I already have an Ebay and PayPal account setup with good feedback. I have already sold several dime lot's for him and were getting about $2.75 a dime, so it's going pretty good. I'm just getting tired of all the Ebay fees. Have any of you all had luck moving coins outside of Ebay? I don't mind the PayPal fee, because I don't really have another way of taking money, so i'm just trying to get away from Ebay.
Be kind on the responses :) I don't really post alot, i'm just a BIG reader of the forums.

Josh
Josh

Re: Thoughts on selling silver dimes.

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Once you have 10 posts on the forum why don't you give our classifieds a try?

It's fee free, and most buyers will paypal "gift" you, so no fees there either. Of course, you can accept whatever type of payment suits you.

You aren't going to get $2.75 here (I don't think) given current spot, but you'll still make out better than ebay.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Neckro » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Make sure you keep the taxes associated with the sales, the IRS don't give a damn if you sold it for someone, the money went through your hands.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Josh wrote: i'm just trying to get away from Ebay.

Aren't we all!!! Seems like at the end of the month Ebay makes more than I do.

I agree you can try and sell some here. You can take less here than you get on Ebay and still end up with more in your pocket when you don't pay all those fees.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Josh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 pm

I'll look into the PayPal gift, that might be a good option to save on the fees.
I also haven't really thought about the taxes yet. I think for selling on Ebay, we just have to keep track of it ourselves, because they don't send us anything do they?

Also to get an idea, what would be a good asking price for fellow member of this forum for the dimes? We have both mercury & roosevelt dimes with different grades.
Some look really good, so I can for sure post alot of pics for the ones looking at buying some.

Josh
Josh

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 pm

List them at spot and leave the listing. Either someone will snap them up, or in a day or two when the price moves higher they'll but them then.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:59 am

People always ask me to sell things on Ebay for them.. I tell them 50%, they freak out.. I explain, 12% ebay and Paypal fees, 25 percent taxes, gas to and from them and the PO, my time, my risk (feedback and the whole post office thing).. its not worth it to me most of the time..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Josh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll get some pictures and start posting some Buy-it-Now items on this forum. This path will be alot better then on Fee-Bay. That site is making a killing with all the fees.
Josh

Postby myfundsarelow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:37 pm

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT PEACE!! WELCOME TO THE FORUM
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Neckro wrote:Make sure you keep the taxes associated with the sales, the IRS don't give a damn if you sold it for someone, the money went through your hands.

There is no tax on the sale of money...how you going to tax the exchange of legal tender? ;)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:
Neckro wrote:Make sure you keep the taxes associated with the sales, the IRS don't give a damn if you sold it for someone, the money went through your hands.

There is no tax on the sale of money...how you going to tax the exchange of legal tender? ;)

Wow! Good comment and this is worthy of a thread all it's own. How are they going to tax PM sales over $600 if all of it has USA $$$ on it???
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:55 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:

They tax the difference between the face value and what you pay?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 pm

I think it would be based on any capital gains , ex, you bought at 5 and are selling at 10
TXBullion

Postby fb101 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 pm

TXBullion wrote:I think it would be based on any capital gains , ex, you bought at 5 and are selling at 10

My accountant says no capital gains on PMs, full personal rate.
fb101

Postby Gipper1985 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm

I think they classify as a collectible, so it would be the lower of your personal federal rate or 28%. Now if you have the good fortune to live in NY you can add another 7% to that amount.

I think that ebay caps it's seller fees at $100? (I would have to look it up). In that case it would make more sense to sell in larger lots. For example three seperate lots of $1000 sold would cost you around $270 in ebay final value fees where one lot for $3000 would only cost $100 in ebay final value fees. There seems to be enough high rollers on ebay to sustain the larger lots.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals