Silver Claim, 1st Assay Results

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Claim, 1st Assay Results

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 pm

I brought a sample back from one of my silver mining claims here in Idaho. The rock looked very similar to a sample of ore I have from the Comstock Lode in Virginia City, Nevada; so I had hopes it contained silver. It was from an outcropping reef, near one of my marker posts.

The results of the $60 assay were interesting, but disappointing.

8/1000th of an ounce of Palladium per ton of ore
4/1000th of an ounce of Gold per ton of ore
1/1000th of an ounce of Silver per ton of ore
1/1000th of an ounce of Platinum per ton of ore
1/1000th of an ounce of Rhodium per ton of ore
Trace of Osmium

The fact that Palladium was detected is quite interesting, there is not much of that being mined in North America.

When I go up there again, I'll look on some other areas that I've claimed, perhaps I'll have better luck next time.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Silver Claim, 1st Assay Results

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 pm

For the uninitiated, how much (?/1000th) of any of those metals would it take at current prices to make mining profitable?

I am surprised at the trace of Osmium. Although they were extremely popular in the 1970's, you just don't see Donny and Marie that much lately.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

"I am surprised at the trace of Osmium. Although they were extremely popular in the 1970's, you just don't see Donny and Marie that much lately."

Marie Osman did those Weight Watchers commericials a few years back. Maybe thats it. :)

Idaho?

Did they also test for Nickel, Copper and Zinc? I thought I read somewhere that silver is very often a byproduct of copper mining.

Good Luck
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:37 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:I brought a sample back from one of my silver mining claims here in Idaho. The rock looked very similar to a sample of ore I have from the Comstock Lode in Virginia City, Nevada; so I had hopes it contained silver. It was from an outcropping reef, near one of my marker posts.

The results of the $60 assay were interesting, but disappointing.

8/1000th of an ounce of Palladium per ton of ore
4/1000th of an ounce of Gold per ton of ore
1/1000th of an ounce of Silver per ton of ore
1/1000th of an ounce of Platinum per ton of ore
1/1000th of an ounce of Rhodium per ton of ore
Trace of Osmium

The fact that Palladium was detected is quite interesting, there is not much of that being mined in North America.

When I go up there again, I'll look on some other areas that I've claimed, perhaps I'll have better luck next time.

What would good numbers be per ton of ore?
What numbers would be worth processing?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm

It depends on the scale of mining and the size of the ore body.

A small lode of ore might be worth digging up if it yielded 1/2 oz/ton of gold, or 10 oz/ton of silver.

A larger operation on a large lode might work for .15 oz/ton of gold or 2 oz/ton of silver.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:56 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:It depends on the scale of mining and the size of the ore body.

A small lode of ore might be worth digging up if it yielded 1/2 oz/ton of gold, or 10 oz/ton of silver.

A larger operation on a large lode might work for .15 oz/ton of gold or 2 oz/ton of silver.

I can see how that is disappointing, But your getting these Assay on land you already own? in any-case at least you know.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:34 pm

They would be great numbers if you claim was right next to an interstate highway and you were able to grease the palms of your local EPA administrator.

Mining is a very tough business.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 pm

ardorlan wrote:
IdahoCopper wrote:It depends on the scale of mining and the size of the ore body.

I can see how that is disappointing, But your getting these Assay on land you already own? in any-case at least you know.

I own the mineral rights, not the land itself. Each of the 3 claims are about 5 acres, at 600' x 1500'. So there is plenty of room to find other outcrops or interesting rocks. I think I need to study some mining geology books as the next step.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:
ardorlan wrote:

I own the mineral rights, not the land itself. Each of the 3 claims are about 5 acres, at 600' x 1500'. So there is plenty of room to find other outcrops or interesting rocks. I think I need to study some mining geology books as the next step.

Test for copper and other base metals. If you have that much Ag & Au, you may have enough copper to mine. If there is enough copper to mine, you can remove the Ag & Au via electrolysis. Pure copper goes to the electrode and the PM's fall to the bottom. You capture the PM's from the sludge later. The copper pays for the mining and you keep the PM's for yourself.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals