How many rolls do you search before giving up on a bank???

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How many rolls do you search before giving up on a bank???

Postby kidman232 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 pm

found a new bank today and think sadly I might have stumbled onto someones dump bank. This bank readily had halves ready to go in customer wrapped rolls (the ones you can just re-roll after you search). I got 10 rolls and all were skunked. I noticed every roll also had a few kennedys that seemed like they were sand blasted on one side or the other. They were really rough and faded. How many rolls with no hits from a non new box before you call it quits normally?
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: How many rolls do you search before giving up on a bank?

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:04 pm

If it were that few rolls, I would keep buying them. I have been lucky and found silver in a bank where I was consistently picking up skunks. With that low amount of halves, you can spend the money on gas, groceries, etc.

If someone was turning in boxes of halves and I knew they were sorted, I would pass on them.

Sometimes the tellers self roll halves that trickel in so you might get lucky and find silver.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dan53 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 pm

I buy both customer rolls and rolls in boxes from the fed. I have been buying halves every week for a year now. There have been some lean times to be sure but if I had stopped, I would have missed that box that had 10 rolls filled with silver coins. That along with 4 or 5 rolls that were at least half filled with silver coins. I made $1200 off that one box. That was a rare event and my usual scores are more moderate. The day before yesterday I bought $490.00 of customer wrapped rolls and found 17 forty percent halves. I made $80.00. I was sorting 8 boxes a week but I had to cut back to 4. I was having trouble dumping that many. I like the thrill of the hunt. I couldn't stop if I tried.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby galenrog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 pm

How long?? I have trouble just getting someone to order them for me. The bank I use now is being good, but I have just started and pick up my second order on Tuesday. The day I picked up my first order a caster on their cart was loose, so I fixed that and had some very happy tellers. The tellers at my two primary dump sites know exactly what I am doing, but since I also look for errors and search coins of every denomination they take turns guessing what I have. I always have mixed coin in my dump bucket and for a reason I can only guess, they like that better. One of the branches I deposit cash at likes the way I bring in finds whenever I visit. Today I showed them the two clipped nickels found last night (1946 and 1960. Very minor clipping, but a cool find nonetheless). I suppose as long as I can get boxed halves and pennies, along with bagged, loose and cwr I would stay with them. Not only that, as long as I can find more sources, I will use them too. The big thing I look for is ensuring that the dumps use an armored service whose coin service center is different from my source bank.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby rainsonme » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:08 pm

10 rolls? You expect to find a silver coin in every 10 rolls? A box is 50 rolls. I would be happy at this point to find 1 silver half in every other box. 1 per 100 rolls. I'd say sample 100 rolls at least. Also, ask the teller where the rolls come from. I used to be a bit shy about what I was doing, but asking for all the half dollars in a bank is kinda a hint as to what you are up to anyway. So I always tell the tellers I am a coin collector. I emphasize looking for older coins over looking for silver so I sound a little less like the greedy SOB that I am. All the tellers I deal with at all the branches happily tell me how the halfs arrived at their bank, and how many others are looking for or dumping halfs there. They won't give out names, of course. I usually leave my name to be passed on to anyone else interested in halfs.

Anyway, ask the teller where those halfs are coming from. If you are considering abandoning that branch, you have nothing to loose.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:39 pm

5 rolls from a bank that yielded me 3 silver 40% not long ago and got skunked today.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:03 pm

rainsonme wrote:10 rolls? You expect to find a silver coin in every 10 rolls? A box is 50 rolls. I would be happy at this point to find 1 silver half in every other box. 1 per 100 rolls. I'd say sample 100 rolls at least. Also, ask the teller where the rolls come from. I used to be a bit shy about what I was doing, but asking for all the half dollars in a bank is kinda a hint as to what you are up to anyway. So I always tell the tellers I am a coin collector. I emphasize looking for older coins over looking for silver so I sound a little less like the greedy SOB that I am. All the tellers I deal with at all the branches happily tell me how the halfs arrived at their bank, and how many others are looking for or dumping halfs there. They won't give out names, of course. I usually leave my name to be passed on to anyone else interested in halfs.

Anyway, ask the teller where those halfs are coming from. If you are considering abandoning that branch, you have nothing to loose.

Heck I get skunked routinely on boxes upon boxes. Tenacity is the key.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Skunk on 3 boxes yesterday. Ain't life tough. next pickup in 2 weeks
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am

It seems to go in streaks. I can usually count on half skunk boxes, with the remainder containing one to three 40%. I seem to find about one 90% for every ten or twelve 40's. I've never had a HUGE box find like some others here (though I did have a teller innocently remark about the rolls the old woman brought in... which turned into six solid rolls of 90%), nevertheless it's still worthwhile to plug away and slowly stack, week after week. After all, you won't find ANY silver if you don't search.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 pm

twentybux wrote:Heck I get skunked routinely on boxes upon boxes. Tenacity is the key.

Boy, isn't THAT the truth! Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby kidman232 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:49 pm

6 rolls today from the my new location, all customer wrapped again, all 6 were skunks. makes me 0/11 or 0/15 at this spot on all customer wrapped rolls
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals