Turkish Delight

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Turkish Delight

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Going to Turkey with Mrs. shinnosuke next week, a long-term dream of hers and a country of interest of late for me. She likes the art. I am fascinated with the struggles between the Ottoman Empire and Western Europe, and any similarities to current events. We both like the food.

We will spend almost all of our time in Istanbul. Have any of you been there? We will also swing through Bucharest, Romania, on the way back.

More to the point of this forum, are there any good coins to look for while in Turkey or Romania?

My 18-year old is stoked with the idea that it's him and a 12 gauge holding off all the zombies while I'm away.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Turkish Delight

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm

see if you can score a tour of Altin Refinery
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Market Harmony wrote:see if you can score a tour of Altin Refinery

Looking at their website now. Since Istanbul is 8 hours ahead of us, I will call them later about a tour.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Going to Turkey with Mrs. shinnosuke next week, I am fascinated with the struggles between the Ottoman Empire and Western Europe, and any similarities to current events.

My 18-year old is stoked with the idea that it's him and a 12 gauge holding off all the zombies while I'm away.

I, too, was fascinated by the Ottoman/European struggles. Studied it for quite a while and taught a SS class on it 5 yrs. ago. Poor Constantinople, with friends like their Western European brethren, they didn't need any enemies.

On a side note: Where you aware that disciples of Saint Thomas spread the Gospel all the way to Japan by 900 AD?

I almost feel sorry for any zombies that come your son's way. ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm sure someone has told you this, but I've heard from a few different people that it is prudent to hire a driver rather than rent a car on your own while in Istanbul. Getting into an accident or even being cited for a traffic violation can cause all sorts of problems.

Hope you have a good time.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:58 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Going to Turkey with Mrs. shinnosuke next week, a long-term dream of hers and a country of interest of late for me. She likes the art. I am fascinated with the struggles between the Ottoman Empire and Western Europe, and any similarities to current events. We both like the food.

We will spend almost all of our time in Istanbul. Have any of you been there? We will also swing through Bucharest, Romania, on the way back.

More to the point of this forum, are there any good coins to look for while in Turkey or Romania?

12 gauge?...for Zombies?...thats child neglect, lad needs a FN-FAL with four magazines loaded with green dot NATO .308 armor piercing rounds..or are the orange dots armor piercing?...i think the red dots are incendiary...oh heck, just get the poor lad a mix of NATO .308 green, orange, blue and red dot rounds...tell him to mix and match, when he packs the mags, its the only right way to take out Zombies...maximum firepower and definitely head shots...the lad knows.

safe travels, stay black and keep it on the DL.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 pm

reading the replies, ....this forum is very cool, there are some really interesting folk here.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Going to Turkey with Mrs. shinnosuke next week, I am fascinated with the struggles between the Ottoman Empire and Western Europe, and any similarities to current events.

I, too, was fascinated by the Ottoman/European struggles. Studied it for quite a while and taught a SS class on it 5 yrs. ago. Poor Constantinople, with friends like their Western European brethren, they didn't need any enemies.

On a side note: Where you aware that disciples of Saint Thomas spread the Gospel all the way to Japan by 900 AD?

Your side note is news to me. Got a good online source for that?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:31 pm

theo wrote:I'm sure someone has told you this, but I've heard from a few different people that it is prudent to hire a driver rather than rent a car on your own while in Istanbul. Getting into an accident or even being cited for a traffic violation can cause all sorts of problems.

Hope you have a good time.

We've already hired a tour guide through the hotel. I refuse to drive in NYC and other foreign countries (well, except for Japan).
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 pm

:D
neilgin1 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Going to Turkey with Mrs. shinnosuke next week, a long-term dream of hers and a country of interest of late for me. She likes the art. I am fascinated with the struggles between the Ottoman Empire and Western Europe, and any similarities to current events. We both like the food.

12 gauge?...for Zombies?...thats child neglect, lad needs a FN-FAL with four magazines loaded with green dot NATO .308 armor piercing rounds..or are the orange dots armor piercing?...i think the red dots are incendiary...oh heck, just get the poor lad a mix of NATO .308 green, orange, blue and red dot rounds...tell him to mix and match, when he packs the mags, its the only right way to take out Zombies...maximum firepower and definitely head shots...the lad knows.

Neil, I knew I could count on you for a recommendation of the right weapon. Yes, he's all about head shots and firing while diving through open doorways. I wish I was 18 again.... Nah, I really don't. :D
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 pm

shinnosuke wrote::D
neilgin1 wrote:

Neil, I knew I could count on you for a recommendation of the right weapon. Yes, he's all about head shots and firing while diving through open doorways. I wish I was 18 again.... Nah, I really don't. :D

heck i wish i was 18 in 1937..i kid you not...fly Corsairs in the Pacific, and stay in the Navy, to fly them again in Korea...then camp out at Edwards test range with Chuck Yeager and those mad monks of the air, maybe have "The Right Stuff", instead of watching the country i love go down like this, run into the ground by a gaggle of limp wristed greedy screwheads that got no balls...im sorry man....you have lots of good time in Ottoman, i send my love and my prayers, neil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE2t6Sg_H74&NR=1 these were MEN.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:33 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Going to Turkey with Mrs. shinnosuke next week...

There is a hoarding opportunity in Turkey :!: Reform Decimal Coinage started in 2005.

Current exchange is US $1.00 = Turkey 1.68 New Lira.
100 New Kurus = 1 New Lira

The New 1 Kurus coin is made of brass.
1 Kurus = 2.7g x 168 = 453.6g = 1 lb of brass at an exchange rate of 1.68 Lira to US $1.00.
Thats one pound of brass for US $1.00 :ugeek:

I wonder if there is a Turkish Realcent equivalent? The relationship between the US exchange rate and the weight of the 1 Kurus/pound is interesting...
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 am

Verbane wrote:

There is a hoarding opportunity in Turkey :!: Reform Decimal Coinage started in 2005.

1 Kurus = 2.7g x 168 = 453.6g = 1 lb of brass at an exchange rate of 1.68 Lira to US $1.00.

I wonder if there is a Turkish Realcent equivalent? The relationship between the US exchange rate and the weight of the 1 Kurus/pound is interesting...

But the freight costs/additional baggage charges would make it cost prohibitive, wouldn't they? I doubt I can melt their coinage while in Turkey so I have to get it out of the country. Ideas?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Verbane wrote:

But the freight costs/additional baggage charges would make it cost prohibitive, wouldn't they? I doubt I can melt their coinage while in Turkey so I have to get it out of the country. Ideas?

Lol. Freight is a downside. You may only be able to find/fit a couple pounds worth in your luggage, I'm thinking more for oddity than massive hoarding. More research required...

Side note, from what I can see, Romania is a bust as far as current circulation.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:56 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Your side note is news to me. Got a good online source for that?

It has been five years since I last studied the subject. I will need a little time to review my sources. Here is a quick blurb from Wikipedia about the Church of the East. (It doesn't mention Japan directly) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_East

Here is a better site: http://www.nestorian.org/christianity_a ... apan_.html

Let me know if you want more.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:36 am

We've been to Istanbul twice. Thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The Topkapi (I hope I'm spelling these at least reasonably close) Palace is worth seeing (they made a movie "Topkapi" back in the 60s you might want to watch ahead of time). Next to the Palace is Gulhane Park which is a nice cool place to rest and relax. The Hagia Sophia, built by Justinian in the sixth century, is a must-see.

There are two cisterns in town - one is a few blocks from the Hagia Sophia, and was shown in "From Russia with Love". The other is smaller, and was undergoing renovation when we were there. It may be a restaurant now. Also, don't miss the Hippodrome (though there really isn't much left) and the Grand Bazaar (the views while walking to the Grand Bazaar are worth seeing. Towards the Asian side is the Spice Bazaar - much smaller than the Grand Bazaar, but still worth seeing. If you do make it to the Asian side, don't miss the Galata Tower.

The only thing I didn't care for was the numbers of hawkers. You couldn't walk down the street, especially in tourist-trap areas, without people trying to sell you things are entice you into their shops. I never saw any coins for sale.
Mike
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cerulean » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:05 am

Both Turkey and Romania revalued their currencies in 2005. Pre-2005 coins have been demonetized.

1 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 70%, Zn 30%, melt = 1.8 cents USD
1 kurus, 2009-present, copper-plated steel, melt = 0.1 cents USD
5 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 65%, Ni 18%, Zn 17%, melt = 2.8 cents USD
5 kurus, 2009-present, brass, melt = 2.6 cents USD
10 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 65%, Ni 18%, Zn 17%, melt = 3.6 cents USD
10 kurus, 2009-present, brass, melt = 2.8 cents USD
25 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 65%, Ni 18%, Zn 17%, melt = 5.0 cents USD
25 kurus, 2009-present, copper-nickel, melt = 4.6 cents USD
50 kurus and 1 lira coins are bimetallic.

The only Romanian coins worth noting for metal value are the 50-bani coins. All others are plated steel.
50 bani, 2005-present, Cu 80%, Zn 15%, Ni 5%, melt = 4.9 cents USD
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Cerulean wrote:Both Turkey and Romania revalued their currencies in 2005. Pre-2005 coins have been demonetized.

1 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 70%, Zn 30%, melt = 1.8 cents USD
1 kurus, 2009-present, copper-plated steel, melt = 0.1 cents USD
5 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 65%, Ni 18%, Zn 17%, melt = 2.8 cents USD
5 kurus, 2009-present, brass, melt = 2.6 cents USD
10 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 65%, Ni 18%, Zn 17%, melt = 3.6 cents USD
10 kurus, 2009-present, brass, melt = 2.8 cents USD
25 kurus, 2005-2008, Cu 65%, Ni 18%, Zn 17%, melt = 5.0 cents USD
25 kurus, 2009-present, copper-nickel, melt = 4.6 cents USD
50 kurus and 1 lira coins are bimetallic.

The only Romanian coins worth noting for metal value are the 50-bani coins. All others are plated steel.
50 bani, 2005-present, Cu 80%, Zn 15%, Ni 5%, melt = 4.9 cents USD

Thanks for the info. This is such a helpful forum.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 pm

shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 pm

shinnosuke wrote:How's my timing? Anyone care to join us?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/turkeys-entire-armed-forces-resign-en-masse

Oh man, seems like there is always something.

I am sure you and the Mrs be fine still.

Have a good time and take plenty of photos. :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:47 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:see if you can score a tour of Altin Refinery

Looking at their website now. Since Istanbul is 8 hours ahead of us, I will call them later about a tour.

I called the Altin Refinery and had an interesting attempt at a conversation in English. Turns out they don't allow tours of the actual plant, but they have a nifty little showroom where they are happy to sell me their product. May try to swing by there just to see if the average Turkish chap is interested in PMs.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Subby » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:11 am

I've always wanted an FN-FAL, "the right arm of the free world." They used to be dirt cheap back in the day, wish I had bought a few dozen instead of wasting my money on college and women. Magazines used to be about six bucks(not all that long ago.)

Sub
Subby

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:11 am

Subby wrote:I've always wanted an FN-FAL, "the right arm of the free world." They used to be dirt cheap back in the day, wish I had bought a few dozen instead of wasting my money on college and women. Magazines used to be about six bucks(not all that long ago.)

Sub

Subby, you've obviously got a good head on your shoulders and experience seems to have blessed you with more than the average helping of wisdom. What I'm trying to say is please post more often and share what you know. Just saying because I noticed that this was only your 4th post since joining.

right arm.jpg
right arm.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 563 times
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Subby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Thank you for the kind words. Weapons happen to my first love(S&W revolvers, 1911s, Winchester 70s, Mauser 98s and the worthy derivatives.) I'm pretty new to the coin game, I started putting away silver when I started my current job last August. I've just been stopping by the shop on the main drag and spending some of my would-be beer money on our lovely precious.

Sub
P.S. Dig the stilettos.
Subby

Postby uthminsta » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:04 pm

I would be very interested and much appreciative if you could get the different denominations of the circulating coins from Turkey (or any country) from the years 2003 and 2005, for my daughters' worldwide birth year sets. I would gladly pay you face value, plus postage, plus a premium for your time... in PayPal or FRNs or maybe some 90% silver?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals