1965: Don't Hoard Your Silver, President Says of Coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

1965: Don't Hoard Your Silver, President Says of Coins

Postby ardorlan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 am

ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 1965: Don't Hoard Your Silver, President Says of Coins

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:56 am

Yeah, hoarding them wont be profitable. Right...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 am

Its only gone up 2910.92%
That is a yearly compound return of 7.44%

Which is pretty good as I consider Silver (and other PMs for that matter) pretty much risk free since unlike GM it can't go BK
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for posting. It's neat to go back and read old newspaper articles like that one. Especially anything having to do with PM's.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Surprised we don't see the same article about copper soon.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 pm

What was silver worth per pound back in 1965?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Really neat article- thanks for posting.
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeah, Lyndon Baines Johnson is the same guy who fraudulently won his US Senate seat way back when. An investigator of said fraud was found dead, shot in the back several times with a .22 rifle. The local constabulary declared it a suicide. So you can trust Johnson on silver.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:22 pm

ardorlan wrote:What was silver worth per pound back in 1965?

It took 14 silver dimes to make an troy ounce of pure silver. That means silver was worth $1.40 per ozt in 1963. Do you want Troy pounds? Or, English pounds?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
ardorlan wrote:What was silver worth per pound back in 1965?

It took 14 silver dimes to make an troy ounce of pure silver. That means silver was worth $1.40 per ozt in 1963. Do you want Troy pounds? Or, English pounds?

I've heard $1.29 an ounce more than a few times.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby didou » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Tourney64 wrote:Surprised we don't see the same article about copper soon.

Not sure they will, most people are completely unaware and uninterested in knowing that, or in hoarding.

When Canada change from cupro-nickel to steel it was a very silent event, along with the facts that they are recovering the nickels from the circulation.
There is already ads on Coinstar and in many bank asking Canadian to turn their old pig bank full of cents for "recycling" and be "environment friendly".
http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/coi ... ng-1200014

And they don't recover the metal in penny yet nor did they make a decision to eliminate it, even if most of them are make of Zinc today (some of them are steel but they seem to have switched to only Zinc in the recent year).
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby RR GUY » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 pm

For a while, this was indeed true, it didn't make economic sense to hoard coins. If you use the rule of 72, a 1965 quarter (less silver) was worth abour $4 in 2000 dollars. In 2000 silver was trading for $5.20 an ounce thus making a silver quarter worth about $1.10 or so in melt value. For those 35 annual periods, you would have earned a better return in treasuries or income producing real estate. Things haven't indeed changed all that much. $4 in 2000 is worth about $8 today which is just a little more than the value of one silver quarter. Silver has basically just about kept up with inflation. We all believe that intrinsically silver is worth more, and that is why we continue to invest in and hold silver coins.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Interesting story and it's from my home town newspaper, the Toledo Blade. That's extra coolness for me.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby njoElec » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Don't worry - we'll all have our shining moment when we are told not to hoard our nickels and pre-82 pennies!! :D
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 am

RR GUY wrote:For a while, this was indeed true, it didn't make economic sense to hoard coins. If you use the rule of 72, a 1965 quarter (less silver) was worth abour $4 in 2000 dollars. In 2000 silver was trading for $5.20 an ounce thus making a silver quarter worth about $1.10 or so in melt value. For those 35 annual periods, you would have earned a better return in treasuries or income producing real estate. Things haven't indeed changed all that much. $4 in 2000 is worth about $8 today which is just a little more than the value of one silver quarter. Silver has basically just about kept up with inflation. We all believe that intrinsically silver is worth more, and that is why we continue to invest in and hold silver coins.

RR Guy, I don't quite follow you. As far as I know, a 1965 quarter has never been worth $4 because 1965 quarters had no silver in them. Last silver quarter was in 1964 until the 40% bicentennial silver proof quarter of 1976. Did you mean 1964?
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

With the release of the clad coinage in 1965-66, many prices didn't immediately jump. It was articles like this that tried to lull the public into thinking that all was well and why should anyone mind that their circulating coinage had no intrinsic value.

With each passing month, though, it was quite apparent that the percentage of silver coins in circulation was falling and there were more and more clads in their place. More and more people began hoarding them. I really think the release of the 1964 Kennedy halves was responsible for the big change in awareness of the value of silver. If you had one of the new Kennedys when they were first issued, you were a neighborhood rockstar until your friends got one, too.

Gas prices were still low until the oil embargo in 1972. Average gas price per gallon in the late 1960s was about $0.35. Possible to even pay less when competing stations were having their "gas wars." Lowest I ever paid was $0.20/gal. Clad quarters worked nicely for that. During the oil embargo time, though, many station owners were offering to sell gasoline for US 90% silver. Gas jumped to $0.70/gal and everyone (including me) knew things would never be the same.

The price of silver had been stable at $1.29 per ounce for what, 100 years or more? Inflation and the loss of public confidence was inevitable. Both of those things are on an undeniable upward trajectory. Sad to witness the great times for so many years and now this.......................

My first job out of high school was working at a summer camp for the princely sum of $50 per week. That included room and board, but at the end of the week, I still had lots of money left over for abundant glasses of draft beer (at $0.15 each) and an occasional pack of smokes (at $0.42 each). Too young to legally do both at the time, but the small town people and Barney Fife police officer didn't care as long as no violence and no drunk driving happened.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals