below melt

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

below melt

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:19 pm

unbelievably, i was able to purchase a roll of 67 UNC's for BELOW melt, and a mixed roll, some 64D's and the rest 40's for way below melt...on Ebay,,,,,now i'm giving it a rest for the bit.

if the equities get weird to the downside, we MIGHT see a silver sell off....but if we dont, it means PM's are taking a dominant position as currency....d'ya think?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: below melt

Postby ffej » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:43 am

I think we are entering into a whole new world, silver is way undervauled and if there is a downturn it will be shallow and short lived. Of course I have nothing to base that on other than me pulling my head out of the sand ( referring to PM's ) and taking a good look around...... Below melt is always good !
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:36 am

Below melt is good! yes...but it kind of spooked me a bit. the seller imo, mistimed his auction end, which was a weekday, mid day, thats i might have gotten lucky (and/or) blessed....plus these were 40% Kenn's....a market i been hitting hard in the last month and a hay. Why, you might ask?.....coz it seemed to be a mkt intrinsic collectors been neglecting.
you can say, "well neil, there's a reason why its neglected"....but if a coin has .15 a toz silver (i call it a fifth an oz...lol) thats like a amped up double dime.
now a lot of guys, spend time going thru half box's sorting, right, and ya'll get excited, when you get Kenn 40's, right?...now i dont have a ryedale, and i dont have the bank's , gets and dumps, nor do i have the patience. (i do got me a beautiful Country living hand grain mill, that cost the same as ryedale...)

Now i got a real nice 90% collection, went for UNCIRC's on the last dip in 08-09, paying 12times to 16X, and i could go either way with them, instrinic or nusimatic. i will NOT slab, but i can tell you, i KNOW i got a bunch that would grade MS65 to 67....thats why i started bangin the 40's Kenn circ market hard, even the circ's arent worn that bad...at worst, they are 50's grade, but i just KNOW the market never 'gives" you anything...so i just am getting spooked a bit....what am i missing in the big picture, are guys just running out of money?...OR if we crater the Dow, stock market, will that crater the silver, if we have another "Lehman" moment?...i can feel a 1000 point down day on the Dow, right on the horizon, so........
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am

I'm keeping some powder dry... just in case.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:51 am

beauanderos wrote:I'm keeping some powder dry... just in case.

morning Obi wan....thats probably wise.....
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ffej » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 am

the coin shop I deal with buys everyone I have to sell at a fair price. 40% silver is way better than 0 %.... Neil I been reading your post and I understand where you head and hearts at. Been doing the same thing for the last18 years. 20 acres in Florida surround by woods, plenty for fresh meat all year round, grow the veggies, have my own water supply, have most of non electric kitchen tools I need...but I did get a RYEDALE....trying to get it to run off solar :-)
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:06 am

Understand being spooked, but gotta go back to fundamentals. Not enough silver left in the world. Economy is not just tanking - in the previously accepted sense - but is truly ready to collapse. Spot/melt is a ficticious number that is being manipulated (perhaps even by implicit government backing) low, as are the volatility, to scare people from buying it.

So ability to buy physical at below spot is going to be a crap-shoot. If people got them by box sorting, then it's all profit to them. If they got them years ago for half-dollar each, it's all profit to them. If they need the cash for some emergency, then they want to sell now. If they screwed up on ebay listings (which happens - I had been buying GOLD at below melt) then its their misfortune, but then again they probably still made money on them. Etc.

I'm personally concerned about a scenario where the ficticious spot number is still low to moderate, but coins cannot be had no matter the price, so I'm just buying stuff that is reasonable when I have the cash, no matter the timing. My price point is still down around $30, so I'm good for a bit, and would not cry even if price went into 20s or below and held for a time, as it is real money for the long-term. I would just be trying to buy more as more FRNs come in.

How do you like that mill? Have heard it's the one to have. People across the street have a mill but I haven't asked them which one. Have you tried grinding with it? I suppose you can get wheat locally (not here)? What do you pay for a 50 pound bag of hard red winter berries? I just had a bag shipped from Utah, came in fine and their shipping is incredibly cheap ($4.99 for orders under $50, and unlimited for $11.99), so I'm going to be putting in another order for more and some other stuff they have (augasonfarms.com).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ffej » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:17 am

To me spot is a joke, like a gun price guide during a firefight....I know spot is being manipulated, so is the price of toilet paper, still need both when shite happens. Stock up on both before you need em is my motto.
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 am

68Camaro wrote:
How do you like that mill? Have heard it's the one to have. People across the street have a mill but I haven't asked them which one. Have you tried grinding with it? I suppose you can get wheat locally (not here)? What do you pay for a 50 pound bag of hard red winter berries? I just had a bag shipped from Utah, came in fine and their shipping is incredibly cheap ($4.99 for orders under $50, and unlimited for $11.99), so I'm going to be putting in another order for more and some other stuff they have (augasonfarms.com).

the mill is great...buy it NOW!!! for pete sakes!! lol......i forgot what i paid for two buckets of berrys, hard red spring, and i got a bucket of flour..HOWEVER, since i'm STILL waiting for Yit to git up here and do the plumbing...i havent started baking bread....using my new well and hose, i set up an improv dish washing set up on the back porch, south, so the water heats up natural(and no! i dont stink, coz i set up a improv shower!), so i'm leary about getting flour all over the place...but these boys gonna be up here in a week or two....i like 'em, they're just busy, coz in this area, theres only one or two guys that are really GOOD at their craft, and if you start acting like a city boy and demanding?....you might as well urinate up a rope....but the mill, and i'll look for buckets for you...later, i been procrastinating too damn long! playing on the forum..hahhah, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 am

ffej wrote:To me spot is a joke, like a gun price guide during a firefight....I know spot is being manipulated, so is the price of toilet paper, still need both when shite happens. Stock up on both before you need em is my motto.

Roger that..so YOU stay away from Ebay tonight! i'm teasing ya! neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ffej » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 am

neilgin1 wrote:
ffej wrote:To me spot is a joke, like a gun price guide during a firefight....I know spot is being manipulated, so is the price of toilet paper, still need both when shite happens. Stock up on both before you need em is my motto.

Roger that..so YOU stay away from Ebay tonight! i'm teasing ya! neil

All yours tonight, running low on FRN's, gonna lay low till a re-supply, then I'll back in the fight ;)
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals