Throwing the Kitchen at this.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Throwing the Kitchen at this.

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 am

Just did a scan, and mark of Ebay...and i'm telling you, guys are just throwing the kitchen sink at this silver market.

i concentrate on the "rolls' market...US coins only, and i'm telling you, there are some great rolls around, you find a lot of Franklins, and Washingtons, BU's all fetching 30 times plus....but i also see a LOT of mixed date rolls, which means to me, POSSIBLY that folks are emptying out collections, bundling rolls and selling.

AND, i've also seen a whole LOT of ASE rolls been offered and trading in the $850 plus range....LOTS and lots, but ALL of it is being met by great demand.

What i'm not seeing are the great number of Morgan rolls and Peace rolls, i was seeing about a month ago...there's some, but not the solid date gem BU rolls i saw before.

so two forces could be at play, either "weak" hands are just raising FRN's.......or strong hands are lightening up for a dip in the market....what do you all think?

honestly i dont know. (i do KNOW that lil Fran has opened the township garbage dump, and i gotta haul garbage down...hee hee, that dear woman has told me shes saved plastic planting pots for me)

my gut tells me, we go higher..BUT.....if equities get slammed becoz of these haircuts masquerading as legislators in DC, could silver get slammed like it did in the 08-09 meltdown?

this is going to be a very interesting week, God save the USA.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Throwing the Kitchen at this.

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 am

I think it just see-saws back and forth. There seem to be good weeks and then it dries up. I haven't looked at the bay in a week or two, and I'm probably bad in that, as I miss deal weeks like is apparently going on right now. But no time today. Maybe I'll have a look tonight.

I think at the moment some people (traders) are thinking this is as panicked as it is going to get, guessing some kind of debt deal will quiet the market - they're betting on a price drop, so they want to sell now. Then there are the people that are thinking - this ain't getting better, buy while I can. So I think I'm agreeing with you - two forces working.

I would not rule out a short-term slam at any point, but that will all be temporary, if so.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Hopefully we dip hard for a few weeks!

Because the rise back up is inevitable...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:14 pm

IF USA Inc gets notched down to AA, silver's trading higher.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:14 pm

"Wait one more paycheck. Just one more paycheck. One more?"
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for the update neilgin1. I've been doing penny roll sorting lately instead of searching for silver coins on eBay. But when I saw your post this afternoon I switched over to eBay to see what deals I could find. Picked up 8 silver quarters for $45.68 which works out to less than $32/ounce. I could have picked up a whole lot of other stuff closer to the current spot price but I think I'll pass on those for now.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RR GUY » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:51 am

There's a lot of coin on ebay at the moment. Perhaps the most I've ever seen. It's going to take some time for the market to clear, so prices should stay in check for some time. I've been buying for 15-20% below melt for the past week (about 25x face). Loads of listings end tomorrow so I advise you all to bid early and often.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby RR GUY » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:08 pm

You all should be looking at the ebay today. I've been buying all day at 21-24X with very little competitiion. Beautiful weekend in the North East, I presume everybody is at the beach. Could also be too much product for the market to absorb. The number of junk listings ending today was incredible. Add in Credit Card rebates/points, ebucks and combined shipping and this is working out to be far better than you could do with any dealer.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 pm

i just looked at my "watches", most closed at 29-31X, and thought, 'what the heck is RR talking about?' then i realized, you might be doing individual coins?....yeh? I look at and trade in rolls....and i just layed off, after banging on Kenn 40's for a month, and the odd IKE 40's rolls, i could find. 90's rolls are fricking boiling...i just felt that was a sharp move back in 08 and 09 at 12-16X's...now i sit, i dont even take stuff out to look at, thats how i crazy i am...got o2 desiccator's in there.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby RR GUY » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:28 pm

True, quarters and halves seem to be bringing close to 30X. Dimes are a whole different story. There was something like 1500 lots of silver dimes ending today, so I knew that a bunch would fall between the cracks. Yes, I bid both rolls and individual coins. Sometimes you can snag better deals with individual coins as the shipping really changes the price and there is a lot of work to do in bidding individual coins. However, when you win a bunch of lots with one seller, the combined shippping really changes the price. I had to do a bit of work, as I placed bids on over 300 lots yesterday at 25X including shipping. I managed to win about 40 lots with many going way below my high bid. I snagged 9 lots with one seller, and the $18 of shipping was reduced to $5.00 thus making the deal really good at 20.75X. Most of the winners were for circulated Roosies, but I got a nice roll of Mercs for 24X (including shipping and I just won a lot of uncirculated Roosies for 25X.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 pm

SWEET!...roll of Merc's for 25X...what more can a guy ask for?....besides a 115 lb pound honey with a morally casual attitude, and an ardent passion for you?...even a 140 pound's sounds good to me.

nice day for ya though, bravo!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals