Turkish Delight

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Turkish Delight

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:55 pm

uthminsta wrote:I would be very interested and much appreciative if you could get the different denominations of the circulating coins from Turkey (or any country) from the years 2003 and 2005, for my daughters' worldwide birth year sets. I would gladly pay you face value, plus postage, plus a premium for your time... in PayPal or FRNs or maybe some 90% silver?

Mr. uthminsta, I'd be glad to look for some coins for you. Mrs. shinnosuke and I just arrived in Istanbul this evening. Yesterday Ramadan (they call it Ramazan in Turkish) started in the Moslem world. It was fascinating to see hundreds of people of people on picnic tarps or in outdoor restaurants with food and drink in front of them, but nobody eating until 8:30 when the sun set. Then they all dug in with gusto. We are in the Blue House Hotel and we look out our windows on the Blue Mosque. Hagia Sophia is just around the corner. Fascinating place, Istanbul -- at least what we've seen so far. There is still a festival going on outside. Music loudly blaring, dervishes whirling, people strolling and chatting. No alcohol in sight and everybody well-behaved. Lots of other tourists here, but we feel completely safe. People approach and engage. Very open city.

This puppy is jet-lagged and hoping the music goes silent soon. Need...sleep...can't...hold...on...much...longer.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:14 pm

God speed John Glenn....enjoy kiddo, enjoy.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

neilgin1 wrote:God speed John Glenn....enjoy kiddo, enjoy.

Thanks Neil. We plan to have a big time. In my mind it's the last big hurrah, a trip I owed my wife. Now I will focus even more intensely on setting aside the preps.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:50 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Yesterday Ramadan (they call it Ramazan in Turkish) started in the Moslem world. It was fascinating...

Did you plan your trip around Ramadan?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby uthminsta » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Oops, I feel rather foolish. I just noticed I have all the 2005 Turkish coins except for 5 kurus... Here's a link to the 2005 five kurus pic/info: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3041.html

And the 2003 coins would be demonetized, but if they are available, I don't have any of those at all.

Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.
uthminsta

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 am

uthminsta wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Yesterday Ramadan (they call it Ramazan in Turkish) started in the Moslem world. It was fascinating...

Did you plan your trip around Ramadan?

No, we just sort of randomly chose August 1st as our departure date when we made reservations last year in October. I am glad we did though. Even though the chanting over the loudspeakers began at 4:10 this morning, everywhere we look is something new and unusual. Great to be here.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am

uthminsta wrote:Oops, I feel rather foolish. I just noticed I have all the 2005 Turkish coins except for 5 kurus... Here's a link to the 2005 five kurus pic/info: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3041.html

And the 2003 coins would be demonetized, but if they are available, I don't have any of those at all.

Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.

No problem; just getting going this morning so the chase had not even begun. I will see what I can find.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I tried a few times to get a tour of the Istanbul Altin Au/Ag refinery, but no deal. They just wanted me to look at their product being sold at the Grand Bazaar. So Mrs. shinnosuke and I went there today after a boat ride on the Bosphorus Strait to the Black Sea and back. Miles and miles of multi-million dollar mansions line the shores on both the European and Asian sides. The place is impressive.

The Mrs. was totally into haggling over prices of silver jewelry she liked at the bazaar. I was proud. She would get the shop owner to agree to a price 30% lower than what he originally asked and then as soon as he held out his hand for the cash she picked out something else she wanted all at the same price. She closed on that deal, too. (We also looked at scarves. One she liked started at 225 Turkish Lira. When she said no, it suddenly dropped to 150...no...100...no...ok, for you my friend, 50...no...25...no...15...no. That the shop owner started so high for something that would eventually be offered at 15 TL made the Mrs. mad and we left.)

I bought two grams of gold in the form of a thin wafers that are each lodged within a plastic rectangle the size of a credit card. Over here, gold bars are being sold as "emergency money" for carrying in any country. The sales pitch is: "You can just sell your gold and not have to worry about coming up with cash in an emergency." Pretty good idea because when the power is out the ATMs don't work...and that's the least of any kind of emergncy you might run into in this part fo the world. And if there is a currency crisis on either side of a transaction, gold is golden. So to facilitate easy portage while traveling, they put various size bars, up to 1 toz, inside the cards that fit just right in the slots in your wallet.

The first gram I bought for 95 Turkish Liras. In USD they wanted $55. Good deal? If anybody wants me to get something for them, send me a PM.

At the 2nd shop, they wanted 94 TL for the same 1 gram. I offered to pay in Euros and they asked for 38. I paid 40 Euro and got back 5.5 TL in change.

The Grand Bazaar has dozens of shops filled with gold and silver, mostly jewelry. I saw a several gold coins with Ataturk's image on the face. No AGEs, or Maples, or Krugs, or Pandas.

This was the kind of shopping I could enjoy.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tn-dave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:50 pm

shinnosuke wrote:The first gram I bought for 95 Turkish Liras. In USD they wanted $55. Good deal?

The best price I could find on the bay for a buyitnow on a 1 gram bar was $68 so you got a good deal I think.

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime - Keep us updated
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Yep - $55/gram is a great deal, that's near melt, and for small pieces that's a great price. Feel free to bring back all you can afford of those - they will sell if you don't want them yourself.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Verbane » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Glad to hear you're having a good time. As Rich stated, anything you bring back is sure to sell here. Credit card size 1 gram "bars" sound interesting :!:
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Verbane wrote:Glad to hear you're having a good time. As Rich stated, anything you bring back is sure to sell here. Credit card size 1 gram "bars" sound interesting :!:

I have to add a picture later. Just woke up and was reading the news about S&P's lowering of the US credit rating (and then immediately to Realcent for everyone's comment on that). Now going to breakfast. Then we're off to dip our toes in the Black Sea.

The gram bar is not the size of a credit card. It fits in a niche in the credit card and is about 1 cm by 2 cm in size. The depth of the niche is therefore less than the thickness of a credit card because the bar only shows on one side.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:39 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Verbane wrote:Glad to hear you're having a good time. As Rich stated, anything you bring back is sure to sell here. Credit card size 1 gram "bars" sound interesting :!:

I have to add a picture later. Just woke up and was reading the news about S&P's lowering of the US credit rating (and then immediately to Realcent for everyone's comment on that). Now going to breakfast. Then we're off to dip our toes in the Black Sea.

The gram bar is not the size of a credit card. It fits in a niche in the credit card and is about 1 cm by 2 cm in size. The depth of the niche is therefore less than the thickness of a credit card because the bar only shows on one side.

I've seen pictures of them somewhere. Maybe it was a coinflation linked article? But, I'd buy a number of them personally, and I'm sure they would go fast here, so I think it would be impossible for you to bring back too many of them. You'll be cash limited before that happens. Anyway, if you can bring back any, that would be cool. If not and regardless, enjoy your trip while you can; your timing was perfect. It may not be easy to do that trip in the near future.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:54 am

68Camaro wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

I've seen pictures of them somewhere. Maybe it was a coinflation linked article? But, I'd buy a number of them personally, and I'm sure they would go fast here, so I think it would be impossible for you to bring back too many of them. You'll be cash limited before that happens. Anyway, if you can bring back any, that would be cool. If not and regardless, enjoy your trip while you can; your timing was perfect. It may not be easy to do that trip in the near future.

Thanks for your input, 68. Just back from the Black Sea. I waded in it only up to mid-calf because it was so cold. It was not the kind of water into which one would want the family PMs to be dunked.

With all the news about US credit rating dip and now Germany's comments about Italy...I think I need to use this time during the weekend to buy before gold rises. Really appreciate your advice.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/it-just-went-bad-far-far-worse-germany-says-italy-too-big-efsf-save-refuses-carry-euro-bailout-
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:52 pm

oh no. i just read the German refusal article. oh shite. We are in big trouble now. Monday is going to be hell. i'm not even going to turn on the computer monday, just going to head down to the CU and get out folding money, head into the woods, knock down some sticks, skid and split 'em...turn on the computer after 8 pm on Monday and hope i'm surprised. this feels like the world is ending.

remember that i said before?, "the world wont end, it'll just FEEL like that"...sure does.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm

1:30am in Turkey now and I'm watching Kitco. My plans to buy cheap(er) bullion over here are getting messed up. What a time to be out of the country.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 pm

shinnosuke wrote:1:30am in Turkey now and I'm watching Kitco. My plans to buy cheap(er) bullion over here are getting messed up. What a time to be out of the country.

Well, it's only up 1% so far, not a biggie. People get excited over deltas, but its the percentage that matters, and 1% isn't very exciting (yet). Makes your $55 grams $55.50, unless people are getting greedy over there.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Yeah, you're right. Just spacing out as I thought about how high it might be when I wake up. G'nite all.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I'd be in for a few of the gram bars too :)
natsb88

Postby uthminsta » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 am

I would like one, if you can afford it that many...
uthminsta

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:58 am

I'm in Bucharest, Romania, now. I got a few extra 1 gram bars attached to the plastic cards, but I noticed that the ones I have been buying are actually .995 fine. The gold price was up from last Friday, but just a buck or so.

uthminsta, sorry but I never came across the regular Turkish coin you were looking for. Do you need anything from Romania? I am glad to keep looking for you.

I think I want to wait to see what happens to the price of gold before I sell any of these Turkish bars. Need some stability....yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:09 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I'm in Bucharest, Romania...
uthminsta, sorry but I never came across the regular Turkish coin you were looking for. Do you need anything from Romania? I am glad to keep looking for you.

Thanks! Romania... let's see... I have the 2005 coins of the 10 and 50 bani denominations. I don't have any 2003. And thanks again!
uthminsta

Postby uthminsta » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:09 pm

There are certainly a lot of countries within a few hours of you... and I don't mean to cause any extra work for you, but this list is up to date, if you care to look it over before you go down the road into another country!!!
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7416
I hope you are having a wonderful time.
uthminsta

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

uthminsta wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:I'm in Bucharest, Romania...

Thanks! Romania... let's see... I have the 2005 coins of the 10 and 50 bani denominations. I don't have any 2003. And thanks again!

Checked with the hotel and a bank. There are no 2003 coins left in circulation. They made new coins starting in mid-2005. Since the Romanian Lei is worth about US $0.33, a lot of places don't even bother with the bani coins. It's a massive round up here. The hotel has no coins and neither did the bank in the lobby! The grocery store we tried had only newer coins. Sorry about that. I feel bad for not finding anything for you here or in Turkey.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Dont feel bad, just get back home safe and sound...by the by, you back yet? i KNOW that once you touch down on AMERICAN soil, a renewed appreciation of our beautiful home will flood your heart and soul.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals