Why are base metal prices getting just destroyed?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Why are base metal prices getting just destroyed?

Postby merchoarder » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:23 am

Perhaps this is obvious to you sages so please do enlighten me. I can't be the only one a little confused. I kept waiting to see a post addressing this but haven't so here it is. My best guess is copper, nickel and zinc are considered more valuable in growing economies? Building houses, cars, infrastructure etc.? So in a clusterpoo like now they decline? In a booming economy they flourish? Is there a point where people realize the inherent value of metals such as copper and nickel as money? I suppose the poo REALLY has to hit the fan before this happens as silver barely gets any love now and its, well, its SILVER. Just a little confused as to why they are tanking so badly. Please educate me. Thanks all.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Why are base metal prices getting just destroyed?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:03 am

base metals are tied to the level of economic output and are sensitive to changes in that level. yesterday it became clear the worldwide depression is deepening. as US and Europe become poorer, china needs less copper, steel, etc.

base metals are not money the way gold and silver are.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:35 am

One thing I find weird.. is look at copper prices compaired to soybeans... really weird, you can almost call a copper fall based on soybeans.. lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 am

Base metals are a long-term play, and high leverage. Copper is still 2.5x face. Still a good play. It could go down further - if economy slows, copper falls.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby willy13 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 am

While copper is not money in the way that people think about gold, the cent is indeed backed by the value of copper. While the paper dollar is backed ONLY by our government. So thats why I like to think of these cents as armageddon coins....
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:42 pm

aev wrote:One thing I find weird.. is look at copper prices compaired to soybeans... really weird, you can almost call a copper fall based on soybeans.. lol

That sounds about right. People can do without copper a lot better than they can do without food.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Oil and silver took hits too. When stocks are tumbling, the big players are selling everything except gold and treasuries in order to get liquidity. If you are a hedge fund that is up 20% in copper/nickel/oil/etc, and your stocks fall 5%, you are going to sell the other stuff to cover those loses and keep your monthly income sheet looking decent.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby slow to learn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm

IMHO copper is a very valuable metal because of its versatility, it was one of the most versatal metel even before christ. There were hugh copper mines that have been discovered in the bible days! Silver and gold will be so exspencive that copper will become very popular and valueable! :geek: So hoared away my friends! :mrgreen:
slow to learn

Postby dpwozney » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:29 pm

If the long-term equilibrium market value, for the intrinsic metal content of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels, is the same as face value, then the price of copper and nickel would have to decline by about 17.3% from right now, relative to the stated value of “Federal” Reserve notes.

The current intrinsic metal value of these nickels is “$0.0586639” or 117.32% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:32 pm

IMHO all industrial commodities will take a hit during this panic. Not to worry, the world will keep turning and people will still need metals for their everday lives. The price will trend back up with time. Hang tuff.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Crescendo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:06 pm

As long as people continue to make babies, there will be more and more people to eat, buy homes, drink, be merry, buy transportation, and all sorts of fun little gizmos that require copper. Until there is, at minimum, a mass pandemic of people shutting down their cable television, I'm not worried in the slightest about the economy. People in the "richer" countries still pay premiums for services completely unnecessary. So stock market falling or not, things aren't that bad. Yet.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby dpwozney » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 am

dpwozney wrote:If the long-term equilibrium market value, for the intrinsic metal content of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels, is the same as face value, then the price of copper and nickel would have to decline by about 17.3% from right now, relative to the stated value of “Federal” Reserve notes.

The long-term equilibrium market value would depend upon the average percentage of face value that people, on average, would choose to no longer save or spend nickels.

For example, people, on average, might choose to no longer save nickels, but rather spend nickels, when the market value, for the intrinsic metal content of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels, falls below face value. If this is the case, then the price of copper and nickel would have to decline by about 6.61% from right now, relative to the stated value of “Federal” Reserve notes.

The current intrinsic metal value of these nickels is “$0.0533067” or 106.61% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:25 pm

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby iluc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Copper Pennies, at least, enjoy a huge "margin of safety" in the sense that something worse than 2008 would have to grip us before their melt value fell below face. In the meantime, the cents themselves would be gaining immense purchasing power relative to other assets that were were falling by 50% or more. And the value relative to gold relative to the paper/digital currency supply will only have increased because the policymakers will surely respond with more stimulus than ever. These coins (and, Nickels, too) are interesting in that their investment properties are so unusual: no downside, some potential opportunity cost, and quite a bit of upside if/when they eventually change hands for metal value. Just watch this situation with interest, not fright: you're making net gains as other assets cheapen.
Ian Lucas
Co-Author, Treasure Hunt in the Enchanted Forest (The Search for Good Money)
www.treasurehuntkidsbook.com
iluc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 pm

and hopefully we will all be able to pull serious amounts of copper longer because of the dip.bring it on! Im a hand sorter,so i need more time!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:19 pm

iluc wrote:Copper Pennies, at least, enjoy a huge "margin of safety" in the sense that something worse than 2008 would have to grip us before their melt value fell below face. In the meantime, the cents themselves would be gaining immense purchasing power relative to other assets that were were falling by 50% or more. And the value relative to gold relative to the paper/digital currency supply will only have increased because the policymakers will surely respond with more stimulus than ever. These coins (and, Nickels, too) are interesting in that their investment properties are so unusual: no downside, some potential opportunity cost, and quite a bit of upside if/when they eventually change hands for metal value. Just watch this situation with interest, not fright: you're making net gains as other assets cheapen.

Copper hit the face point briefly in '08, but it didn't last long. And, of course, it bounced back. Would have been a great time to get in.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing