All of you that search for halves.....

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

All of you that search for halves.....

Postby John_doe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm thinking about starting to search for silver halves, but I have a few questions.

About how many silver halves do you find per 500 dollar box?
Do you find any thing from outside the united states?
Are there sorting machines?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Re: All of you that search for halves.....

Postby BlackOut » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 am

good luck, pickins are slim from my recent experience.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:15 am

you'd be better off buying these. Look how many HE found :o
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-BANK-ROLLS-HALF- ... 2c5b123448

Oh, but wait. You wanted a serious answer?
1. None
2. Yes
3. Do you have $20,000?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 am

beauanderos wrote:you'd be better off buying these. Look how many HE found :o

Yeah, that's the ticket. :roll:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:21 am

beauanderos wrote:you'd be better off buying these. Look how many HE found :o

Oh, but wait. You wanted a serious answer?
1. None
2. Yes
3. Do you have $20,000?

:lol:

You make it seem not very fun. I'm going to do a few searches to see if I can get lucky.

What about 40% halves? How many of those are in circulation?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 am

Oh.... it's fun when you find something, but don't get your hopes up. From personal experience, and reading the discoveries of other diligent searchers in Country's Half Tracking Thread, your best opportunity would seem to be venturing to as many banks as possible and asking each for any rolls customers had turned in. However, when I tried that myself, I always got the teller replying either "Oh, nobody ever turns in rolls of halves, we might get one or two from a merchant once in awhile," or "You know, you're about the twentieth person who does this." So I stuck to ordering boxes from the banks, and averaged over half of them being skunks. Depending upon what area you are in... you already have LOTS of competition and will be searching their rejects if you order boxes. Not to say that you can't get lucky... but that's all it is. Plain luck. If you think you're gonna hit some big fortune, you'll be disillusioned. I sorted for 18 months, as much as $9500 a week in halves... and my biggest payday was less than $300. Most of the time I averaged $40 to $80. If that's worth it to you to find that much in twelve hours of unwrapping rolls, and another two or three doing multiple bank returns... then go for it. And now most banks are beginning to charge you to either order the coin rolls or return them.
beauanderos

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 am

Your best bet is to look at the Half tracking thread. I can tell you for me it isn't profitable for me if I don't find several halves. My credit union has a minimum order quantity of 4 boxes ($2,000). My last order had 2 40% halves. Several of the bank wrapped rolls only had 19 halves in them. I took them to my dump credit union and I knew how much I had and was shorted $44.50. I tell them their machine shorted me and they opened it up and didn't see any coins in the inside reject bin. They said there was no way they could verify and it was my word against the machine.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:20 am

Tourney64 wrote:Your best bet is to look at the Half tracking thread. I can tell you for me it isn't profitable for me if I don't find several halves. My credit union has a minimum order quantity of 4 boxes ($2,000). My last order had 2 40% halves. Several of the bank wrapped rolls only had 19 halves in them. I took them to my dump credit union and I knew how much I had and was shorted $44.50. I tell them their machine shorted me and they opened it up and didn't see any coins in the inside reject bin. They said there was no way they could verify and it was my word against the machine.

And Bank of America is now sourcing boxes directly from the Fed. I just went thru one box and four rolls were short. That's it. I'm hanging it up with the halves. :evil:
beauanderos

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 am

The Fed is where my credit union is getting it's coin also.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 am

John_doe wrote:I'm thinking about starting to search for silver halves, but I have a few questions.

About how many silver halves do you find per 500 dollar box?
Do you find any thing from outside the united states?
Are there sorting machines?

I just started searching halves, I've only found 40% silver from the teller and from Customer Wrapped Rolls, but now all the banks in my area reject me on sight knowing that I don't have an account. 5 Silvers Deep after about 14 banks, but like I said now unless I open an account they wont talk to me.

I did open an account at a credit union and setup a weekly order of halve dollars, I've searched 3 totals boxes, and nothing. I plan to continue to search one or two boxes a week just for fun but when I do find something I know it wont be worth the time I put into it.

And this last week, I went to my pick-up bank and they didn't have my weekly box of halves so, I might be done, its really annoying just to get coins ordered.

I don't enjoy going into the bank to dump, or really into the banks at all, but there is just something about the whole lotto physiology of unwrapping those rolls, getting more then what you paid for. I mean actually unwrapping a roll and seeing silver is a pretty bad ass feeling over something worth $6, doesn't make any logical sense.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 am

if you buy bags, you often get extra coins because the machines routinely short people.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm

beauanderos wrote:Oh.... it's fun when you find something, but don't get your hopes up. From personal experience, and reading the discoveries of other diligent searchers in Country's Half Tracking Thread, your best opportunity would seem to be venturing to as many banks as possible and asking each for any rolls customers had turned in. However, when I tried that myself, I always got the teller replying either "Oh, nobody ever turns in rolls of halves, we might get one or two from a merchant once in awhile," or "You know, you're about the twentieth person who does this." So I stuck to ordering boxes from the banks, and averaged over half of them being skunks. Depending upon what area you are in... you already have LOTS of competition and will be searching their rejects if you order boxes. Not to say that you can't get lucky... but that's all it is. Plain luck. If you think you're gonna hit some big fortune, you'll be disillusioned. I sorted for 18 months, as much as $9500 a week in halves... and my biggest payday was less than $300. Most of the time I averaged $40 to $80. If that's worth it to you to find that much in twelve hours of unwrapping rolls, and another two or three doing multiple bank returns... then go for it. And now most banks are beginning to charge you to either order the coin rolls or return them.

It seems that the best approach is to only search CWR; the Fed's are usually sorted through- although there is always exceptions to this rule. This approach is very much like fishing. If you find a good fishin hole, stick with it. If you usually get skunked, don't go back!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals