World Silver coin Auction

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

World Silver coin Auction

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:37 pm

What do you guys think of this ebay auction
its out of my price range and looks really risky.

http://cgi.ebay.com/World-ALL-SILVER-Co ... 595wt_1304
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Re: World Silver coin Auction

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 pm

25K would be a safe bid.

That would be melt at .500 average purity.

That would be a fun lot.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:50 pm

I'd want to have and idea of what's in it. If the picture is an accurate representation of the lot it would be a steal at 25k

But maybe there is a pile of .10-.30 mexican. I would be interested in it for the right deal.

But I don't have 25K laying around either.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 pm

The guy said he would take phone calls.

I feel after talking to the guy maybe I would go 15k on it, IF I had that kind of money which I don't
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 pm

I definitely don't have that kind of money laying around, but if I did, that would be very fun to go through. I am very curious as to the actual value of that pile and it would make a great project for a few cold winter evenings. Anybody have a pile of FRNs they want to give away?
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Group buy?
Thogey

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:35 pm

ardorlan wrote:The guy said he would take phone calls.

I feel after talking to the guy maybe I would go 15k on it, IF I had that kind of money which I don't

So you actually talked to him on the phone? What made you comfortable with the 15k?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Pennysaved wrote:
ardorlan wrote:The guy said he would take phone calls.

So you actually talked to him on the phone? What made you comfortable with the 15k?

I have not talked to him on the phone, but after the phone call if I liked what I heard and based on the pictures, I would feel comfortable with 15k due to the Weight of the items and more importantly the pictures.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Yeah looking at the pics looks like a lot of nice coins; I love all those Thalers :)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 pm

I am seriously contemplating bidding. It is a stretch on my funds though and I would be reselling a large portion of it. I think that if anyone else on here plans on bidding they should speak up so that real centers are not driving up the price on each other. I would be willing to talk about a group buy or even just standing down on the bidding if someone on here really had their heart set on this one.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Id be hesitant myself. it says the 90 pounds includes the boxes. Thats a lot of weight by itself. without knowledge of the purity? well besides what you can see in the pics... the pics are good enough someone who knows all those coins by sight might be able to get a rough idea on just what the value is...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:25 am

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:57 am

Not sure how Daisy Duck fits in.

by Thogey » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Group buy?

I'd be down for that.... One of you guys can discuss it with my wife. :?
Attachments
Daisy 2.png
Daisy 2.png (148.73 KiB) Viewed 542 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:34 am

This ended up with a $13,500 bid which did not meet the Reserve. I emailed the seller to ask what the reserve was and he said 42K !!! I have not replied back yet to tell him that he is nuts, but I plan to.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 am

NHsorter wrote:This ended up with a $13,500 bid which did not meet the Reserve. I emailed the seller to ask what the reserve was and he said 42K !!! I have not replied back yet to tell him that he is nuts, but I plan to.

It could be worth 42k if it was all pieced out, but the guy hasn't even taken the time to inventory it.
Piecing it out and doing 100's of auctions is allot of work.

I understand some people deal in bulk and that is what this is, As such its worth a ton less.
I wouldn't pay more then 15,000 (if I had the money) unless this guy had a complete inventory.

You could pay someone 6$/hr to take one good front and back photo of each coin.
they should be able to do 20 coins per hour.

It would be well worth the time, you could then upload the photo and provide a link,
Anything else and the buyer is taking a big risk and has to keep there margins tight so they don't get burned.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:12 am

I emailed the guy to tell him that he was nuts to think that he could get 43K for this stuff the way that he has it listed. Here is his reply:

Considering there is almost 1500 ounces of silver coins in this lot, a smelter would pay me well over your doubtful 20k.

Additionally, these are not ‘junk silver’ lots and therefore there is plenty of collectible silver and non-silver coins with premium value beyond the metal alone.. Probably 5-10k in this kind of value, if not more.

If you’re looking for junk silver lots, this one isn’t for you.

I don't think he even understands how many troy ounces are in a pound. I also don't think he understands that silver coins are not 100% silver. Oh well, I kinda feel bad for the guy if he truly thinks he's gonna get 42K for this with such a lousy bulk listing. I hope he did not pay too much for these!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NiBullionCu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

He's back....

Looks like none of the lots sold in august... and silver is lower now. Wonder if he lowered his reserve?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-ALL-SILVE ... 0724710142?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/brianhowardart/ ... 4340.l2562
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wagsthadog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:He's back....

Looks like none of the lots sold in august... and silver is lower now. Wonder if he lowered his reserve?

Hi there-

definition of insanity... same thing over and over....

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 am

wagsthadog wrote:
NiBullionCu wrote:He's back....

I asked what the reserves were this time around. Good luck selling any of them!!!!

Israel collection – 17k

World Antique coin collection – 35.5k

World All Silver Coin collection – 41k

Us silver dollar collection – 45k

US franklin half collection - 20k
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals