Liquidation Sale blues

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Liquidation Sale blues

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:03 pm

So one of the Borders near me is closing, and they've started to haul out many of the fixtures. I decided to go in one day and check it out.

Overpriced [shucks]. I ask abit about other bits, or maybe see if they're dumping junk that i could buy for a song. I find out they threw out numerous wire racks and old electronics to the dumpster just the day before.

my reaction:
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Liquidation Sale blues

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:15 pm

aren't all the borders closing?

Edit to add: That's a shame you couldn't do the scrap thing.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:aren't all the borders closing?

Yeah, all of them were going kaput.

I know, it was crazy. I'd figured that the liquidation company would entertain any offers if it means money in their pocket, no matter how small. But no, I find out that they were sorting out the backroom and they were throwing out stuff they thought had little to no value. Metal shelving that was junk or had no use, nails, bolts, etc.

Some of the prices on some of the stuff is abit outrageous. $25 bucks for a 3 ft wire shelf displayer with barely $2 in scrap metal on it??
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:23 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:aren't all the borders closing?

Yeah, all of them were going kaput.

I know, it was crazy. I'd figured that the liquidation company would entertain any offers if it means money in their pocket, no matter how small. But no, I find out that they were sorting out the backroom and they were throwing out stuff they thought had little to no value. Metal shelving that was junk or had no use, nails, bolts, etc.

Some of the prices on some of the stuff is abit outrageous. $25 bucks for a 3 ft wire shelf displayer with barely $2 in scrap metal on it??

Yeah, but look up the price of a new one. They aren't thinking in terms of scrap, they're thinking in terms of usable fixtures.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 pm

It's ironic that they threw out the stuff you were most willing to pay for. The same thing happens to me at estate sales and moving sales, so I always check out the dumpster first. Routinely that's where the best stuff is, plus I don't have to pay for it.

Normally liquidations are announced in advance, so try to get in on the action earlier next time and you might be able to score some scrap. Also, you may still be able to get some at the end of the liquidation if they have fixtures they' couldn't sell.

I deal in used books, and if you want to talk about a dying business, bookselling would be a topic for much conversation - both retail brick & mortar and online models.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:It's ironic that they threw out the stuff you were most willing to pay for. The same thing happens to me at estate sales and moving sales, so I always check out the dumpster first. Routinely that's where the best stuff is, plus I don't have to pay for it.

Normally liquidations are announced in advance, so try to get in on the action earlier next time and you might be able to score some scrap. Also, you may still be able to get some at the end of the liquidation if they have fixtures they' couldn't sell.

I deal in used books, and if you want to talk about a dying business, bookselling would be a topic for much conversation - both retail brick & mortar and online models.

This is because Americans are becoming illiterate!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 am

Dr. Cadmium wrote:It's ironic that they threw out the stuff you were most willing to pay for. The same thing happens to me at estate sales and moving sales, so I always check out the dumpster first. Routinely that's where the best stuff is, plus I don't have to pay for it.

A friend did go in on the first day and asked to buy some of the fixtures. Got put onto a list as the first request and he waited. It took them about 2 weeks to get back to him to even tell him the prices of the items. By then, he was kinda pissed about it.

Thogey wrote:
Dr. Cadmium wrote:I deal in used books, and if you want to talk about a dying business, bookselling would be a topic for much conversation - both retail brick & mortar and online models.

This is because Americans are becoming illiterate!

Blame e-readers as well. I prefer dead tree corpses than some souless automaton.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Okay, so I decided to try again, maybe see if they uncovered something else. Plus final 2 weeks, so I figured the prices would be slashed.

Nothing of value.....some buggered CCTV unit (offered $1 since they said it didn't work.....nope, they wanted $2000 ("bundled" with the still working CCTV unit and stuff) and I said "[fluff] it.") Postal scale (the "bathroom" scale type) was $20 (Won't haggle after I offered to buy both for $30....bitches).

Ugh, you think in the final weeks, they'd be trying to clear out......nope.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage