A Little Caution Might be in Order

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A Little Caution Might be in Order

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 am

Another member (of another forum I belong to) told me a HORROR story :o yesterday. A friend of his has gotten into deep doodoo with the IRS and is being audited... because of a 1099 form that was filed by Paypal for his receiving too many payments via Paypal "gift." I don't know what their limit is, but why draw undue attention to yourselves? Just another instance of govt entities developing too much info on what someone might or might not own.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: A Little Caution Might be in Order

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:46 am

Are you sure that's why a 1099 was issued?

Check this out.

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main. ... tance=9020
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am

May he was audited for sending more that 13K as gift. That's the IRS limit for how much you may give.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby abc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 am

Also if have have more than 20K in payments coming in per year, paypal is reporting it to the IRS.
abc
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:45 pm

If you're trying to avoid the IRS, don't buy or sell anything online.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:If you're trying to avoid the IRS, don't buy or sell anything online.

:lol:

Cash is king in sliding under the radar ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby franklin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 am

I've been frustrated at times with members who will only take PP as payment, understanding it is the easiest and fastest for them but it's not for me. When you let someone else do your bookkeeping for you and have never met them (PP), unfortunate things can happen. I'm not in complete agreement with Doc Cadmium's statement but my level of paranoia probably isn't as high as it needs to be.
Gun show dealer was selling at 30x this weekend and you got to pick 'em.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't want to sound like a buzzkill. But profit is profit. Either report it or run the risk of having something like this happen to you. It gets even more confusing when you sell PM's, because the profit is sometimes hard to determine over the cost of the lot.

Accepting large amounts of payments through PP gift may avoid fees, but clearly can land you in another kind of trouble. Also wasn't PP cutting down on the gift option already?

My friend works for the Treasury and has raided homes of tax evaders and confiscated among other things, bags and bags of copper cents... I say to each their own, and hope no one here gets audited or raided...

JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 pm

course, there's always the option of reporting the income and keeping the IRS off your back...
I'm just sayin'....
fb101

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals