Def'n of "slick" by weight

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Def'n of "slick" by weight

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Views/Positions on where to draw the line on weight limits for slicks? What would be your definition of the minimum weight of $10 face to not be called "slick"?

Mint nominal weight is 250 g
"accepted" nominal circulating weight is 247.2 g

Coins are approaching "slickness", to my mind, in the 243-244 range. Maybe not QUITE slicks, but not an acceptable weight, and at that point I believe they need to be sold by weight, or extra coin added as make-up.

What about the 244-247 range? I start asking myself if I should keep or smelt these, but they still usally have decent definition, and the weight is not far off of circulated. Thoughts?

Between 241 and 244 I get even more twitchy. I want to send these to the smelter. Opinions?

Coins in the 237-240 range are definitely slicks, in my view. That's ~5% below nominal weight. No question in my mind as to if they are fodder for the smelter.
(As would be anything else below this weight.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Def'n of "slick" by weight

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:54 pm

If you are selling quarters, as an example, I would say that an unaltered mix of Washington's, with a few Standing Liberties thrown in, should still hit about 715 (the conventional "standard")... as perhaps as many as half of a roll of quarters could be 64's (which should go 723) and will compensate for lighter coins. Draw a bell curve with your divisions with 715 being peak and 723 to right shoulder, 707 to left. Anything lower than 707 (244.47 grams) would start to become suspect. Ask yourself "if I paid for something in good faith... and THESE were the coins I received... would I feel ripped off?" If the answer is yes, then offer such listings by weight, and let the buyer have the option of the decision. Anyone buying Barber bags off of any online source that states they are avg circ condition needs to realize they are purchasing them as numies, not as bullion as their true wt is only 89 to 93% of their advertised 715. Buy a thousand dollar face bag and you will face a significant shortage in what you might have thought you were getting. Gresham's Law (or a variant thereof) would lead us to believe that even among silver stacker's... all other things being equal... we will likely tend to smelt/sell the most heavily worn coins with indistinguishable features, or otherwise some shape of culls (scratched, bent, abraded, holed, etc)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Country » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I have seen some small bags, $100 of 90%, that have extra SILVER quarters in them to compensate if the bag is slickish. Others, I have seen chuck full of slick 20's and 30's.

Slick halves will be generally 95% of standard weight. However, slick dimes can be 10% or more worn. I guess that is one reason why 90% halves have a little more premium.

I think the honest fair way to do it as SILVER goes ever higher is to add more coins if needed. Sell/Buy the bag by weight according to the 715 standard. If the bag contains coins that have more wear than average, add a reasonable number of coins so that the buyer is getting his/her money's worth.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I sell all my stuff by weight (full disclosure).

I've learned that's the fair way
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Good responses all, but... :) you're mostly not answering my question. Well Ray sort of did. He proposed that 715 be the new "circulated" nominal and that we should use the delta between that and mint to get down to 707 as a minimum point for circulated coin. Which would put the minimum weight for $10 face at 244. Which suggests that I would want to pull out coin that can't meet that standard. I can buy that - and it fits my street sense of the types of coins that are marginal. I just sorted out about $150 face of Washingtons earlier this afternoon, by year, and (as one might expect) there is a strong correlation between weight and mint year. Depression era coin were the most worn. Early 30s were 237.8. Late 30s were 239.3. And by look and feel I would call these all slicks (except for a few I pulled out that weren't). By the early 40s the weight was up to the upper 243s. Marginal coins, not fully slicks, but more slicks than not. By mid 40s they well over 244 and climbing. By late 40s weights were up to 247s.

As to mixing coin to get the average up, I've not been found of people selling me half slicks and half virgin coin to yield an average weight for the roll, when half the coin in the roll are still slicks.

I agree weight is the best way to sell any coin that can't meet the standard.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:55 pm

a $10 roll needs to weigh 247.1 grams to be the equivalent of 715. I would be concerned if a roll didn't weigh 247.1 unless i was told they were worn or slick and had a compensating discount. I'm not saying you need specific rules, but average circulated to me means at least 247.1.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I thought ya'll had different names for me depending on how much I weigh
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm

That too, but that's for another time... ;)
68Camaro

Postby justj2k78 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:04 pm

I've found that in dealing with several different members here, "circulated" can mean anything from AU to slick. 5% is the number in my head, after which I get irritated. However, when you buy site unseen, you really are at the mercy of the seller's veracity.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:07 pm

The thing to be cognizant of is this. Say you buy a $1000 face bag of quarters from an online dealer who represents them as weighing 715 oz. You go to the trouble of weighing them upon receipt only to learn that you got 690 oz. The dealer isn't going to refund you the difference, but they will (at present) buy them at face value (not gram weight). You are out 25 oz through no fault of your own. We are brothers here, so I say it's unfair to pass your "problems" to another forum member, unless you sell by gram wt as Thogey does. Cull the lightweights out of your purchase. Next time there's a price jump, sell them back to where you bought them from... while you can still receive face value for them. You are not doing anything disingenuous, you are merely returning the coins to them which you decided you didn't want. The original price disparity has been remedied. When the price goes high enough, the industry standard may change, inclusive of either or both sales by gram wt and purchases by same.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:10 pm

justj2k78 wrote:I've found that in dealing with several different members here, "circulated" can mean anything from AU to slick. 5% is the number in my head, after which I get irritated. However, when you buy site unseen, you really are at the mercy of the seller's veracity.

Problem solved: Buy listings with pics ......or sweet videos :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Im pretty sure I always described my lots well and honestly. Ive sold some slicks but listed them as such. I dont have a scale though so I just go by appearance.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm

BTW - not being critical of anyone here. This was all a thought exercise for me to decide what I should consider a cull, to be turned back for smelting....
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals