"NO SILVER" written on Brinks boxes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"NO SILVER" written on Brinks boxes

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Today my son picked up two boxes of halves from a bank and both boxes had NO SILVER written on them. He asked the teller if the bank was mining for silver and the teller said "no, the boxes came from Brinks like that". Both boxes were skunks. I'm wondering if that particular bank he picks up halves from is just trying to discourage him or maybe Brinks really is mining coins for silver now?

Has anyone else encountered that yet? My apologies if this has already been a topic. I've been out of action for a while and after a quick search, I haven't been able to find this particular topic. Thanks!

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Re: "NO SILVER" written on Brinks boxes

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Not a good sign at all...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Obviously someone had to mine them to write their happy message. Why they would bother...?

Maybe they were the scribblings of another sorter who turned back his discards in the original boxes and Brinks just resealed them.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Why would Brinks care if someone gets a skunk box. Ordering boxes of halves keeps Brinks in business so to speak. Maybe the opposite is true. They are tired of supplying halves? Anyway, hard to imagine they sort out silver by weight IMHO. Take note of the weight of a 40% half dollar and compare to clad half-dollar weights. The 90% silver coins may not weigh close to a clad however. So, if they separate silver, it would have to be by some kind of electromagnetic method? Is that possible with coins this heavy ? Crazy that they waited until now to separate the silver. It is telling if they are finally doing it. Tells me not to sell and keep searching halves, quarters, dimes, etc.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 pm

maybe brinks realized they can pay a guy minimum wage to pull the silver and come out ahead... and to discourage competition write such messages on the boxes? If thats the case everyone will see it soon.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Treetop wrote:maybe brinks realized they can pay a guy minimum wage to pull the silver and come out ahead... and to discourage competition write such messages on the boxes? If thats the case everyone will see it soon.

That guy will be out of a job then soon after the turnover of halves drops fast. Plan B says to keep asking banks for CWRs thus. Everyone do it. Screw Brinks, lol.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 am

My opinion is that it's just another sorter who hand-wrote the message on the box themselves and then the box was re-used. I seriously doubt if Brinks (or any other coin carrier) would have any time at all to do something like that, let alone have any machines set up to mine any type of silver (or other metal) from the actual (huge) volume of coins that they process daily. Don't worry about it and keep sorting.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:30 am

DirtyFingers wrote:Today my son picked up two boxes of halves from a bank and both boxes had NO SILVER written on them. He asked the teller if the bank was mining for silver and the teller said "no, the boxes came from Brinks like that". Both boxes were skunks. I'm wondering if that particular bank he picks up halves from is just trying to discourage him or maybe Brinks really is mining coins for silver now?

Has anyone else encountered that yet? My apologies if this has already been a topic. I've been out of action for a while and after a quick search, I haven't been able to find this particular topic. Thanks!

DF

You think THIS is bad? Mine all say No Gold! :oops: :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:23 am

HPMBTT wrote:My opinion is that it's just another sorter who hand-wrote the message on the box themselves and then the box was re-used. I seriously doubt if Brinks (or any other coin carrier) would have any time at all to do something like that, let alone have any machines set up to mine any type of silver (or other metal) from the actual (huge) volume of coins that they process daily. Don't worry about it and keep sorting.

Yup you are correct! Brinks's machines have the capablity to sort out the silver but they don't.

You got a box that another sorter wrote on.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am

highroller4321 wrote:
HPMBTT wrote:My opinion is that it's just another sorter who hand-wrote the message on the box themselves and then the box was re-used. I seriously doubt if Brinks (or any other coin carrier) would have any time at all to do something like that, let alone have any machines set up to mine any type of silver (or other metal) from the actual (huge) volume of coins that they process daily. Don't worry about it and keep sorting.

Yup you are correct! Brinks's machines have the capablity to sort out the silver but they don't.

You got a box that another sorter wrote on.

I think you guys are right. Another sorter with the capability of weighing full boxes took them back to their dump bank unopened and they may or may not have gone back to Brinks. My son has done alot of business with this particular teller and as of yet has no reason to disbelieve anything he says. I just found it odd that if the boxes did indeed go back to Brinks that they didn't take the time to open the boxes and check the contents.

I figured if anyone had any experience along these lines, the pros on this forum would know. I talked to my son this morning and adviced him not to be discouraged from ordering again and maybe switch banks also.

DF
Last edited by DirtyFingers on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:21 am

beauanderos wrote:
DirtyFingers wrote:Today my son picked up two boxes of halves from a bank and both boxes had NO SILVER written on them. He asked the teller if the bank was mining for silver and the teller said "no, the boxes came from Brinks like that". Both boxes were skunks. I'm wondering if that particular bank he picks up halves from is just trying to discourage him or maybe Brinks really is mining coins for silver now?

DF

You think THIS is bad? Mine all say No Gold! :oops: :lol:

Gotta love that yellow metal!

Haven't you found some in the wild before?
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:23 am

What this hand written or printed text?
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:26 am

JobIII wrote:What this hand written or printed text?

It was hand written, in very small long hand according to my son. Not printed by hand or stamped. Which makes me think it was either another sorter or the bank, althought the teller sticks to the story that he saw it come off the truck like that.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:31 am

DF

Would love to get a photo of this
Thanks
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:40 am

ardorlan wrote:

DF

Would love to get a photo of this
Thanks

I'll talk to my son and see if he can send me a picture. I think he still has the boxes. If I get one, I'll post it just for giggles.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:52 am

The only reason I ask. Is i've bought boxes of brinks Halves, with hand written notes tallying silver finds and No Silver (No Ag). And found silver and skunks in these types of boxes. People can miss coins.

If however the message was machine typed...That's a different and much more problematic scenario.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby ZenOps » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:27 pm

You are lucky. Here in Canada, this year I'm finding bundles of nickels machine rolled that have no pure or 25% nickel (they are all nickel plated steel)

Its easy enough to weigh the roll to know that they are all nickel (Pure Canadian nickels are 4.54 grams and iron plated nickels are 3.95 grams)

ARP Alloy recovery program is in full swing. Which scares me a bit because here in Canada at the one nickel mine - we produce 30% of the worlds supply... And if we are actively culling circulation nickels, that can only mean that there is not enough to go around anymore.

I'd actually like it if the would print "No Nickel" on the nickel boxes to save me a wasted trip to the bank.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals