going long protein

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

going long protein

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:56 am

Code: Select all
ZAc, that is very cool, you're definitely 'going long' protein..nice play...protein will trade high...the feed must be a corn/soy mix?,,,isnt fish oil a really good food supp? can you extract fish oil yet?...nice walking the talk brother, neil

dont want to divert rodebaughs thread more then i already did... I dont TRY to do it. It just happens... :lol: i always end up making someone mad. although doubtful I would here, might as well make a new thread anyway....

One of the cool thing about these two types of fish neil is they are omnivores, they eat anything... Im working out a set up of least resistance. Like the "greenwater" feeding the tilapia as it cleans the water. Growing lots of other fast growing water plants for them to. They eat table scraps or most anything really especially the carp. Ive been feeding them dry corn grew right off the cob. store bought food for them is CHEAP, but Im working on doing it myself. Its from $7-25 a 50 pound bag depending on quality. they are very efficient at turning food into their growth, much more so then most animals by a wide margin.

not intending to harvest any fish oils beyond eating them, but looking into processing scraps might be a good idea. the tilapia need to be fed omegas 3s to have them. the carp though are loaded naturally as are most fish.

Im recently into rabbits, guinea pigs (hey dont laugh they were bred for food for thousands of years!!! pretty dang tasty to) and chickens. chickens are just for eggs.... when i get to the new place im either getting some sheep or a goat for milk and lot maintenance... Id rather have the sheep because of the wool but they arent as efficient at lot maintenance so might go with goats anyway.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: going long protein

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Treetop wrote:
Code: Select all
ZAc, that is very cool, you're definitely 'going long' protein..nice play...protein will trade high...the feed must be a corn/soy mix?,,,isnt fish oil a really good food supp? can you extract fish oil yet?...nice walking the talk brother, neil

dont want to divert rodebaughs thread more then i already did... I dont TRY to do it. It just happens... :lol: i always end up making someone mad. although doubtful I would here, might as well make a new thread anyway....

One of the cool thing about these two types of fish neil is they are omnivores, they eat anything... Im working out a set up of least resistance. Like the "greenwater" feeding the tilapia as it cleans the water. Growing lots of other fast growing water plants for them to. They eat table scraps or most anything really especially the carp. Ive been feeding them dry corn grew right off the cob. store bought food for them is CHEAP, but Im working on doing it myself. Its from $7-25 a 50 pound bag depending on quality. they are very efficient at turning food into their growth, much more so then most animals by a wide margin.

not intending to harvest any fish oils beyond eating them, but looking into processing scraps might be a good idea. the tilapia need to be fed omegas 3s to have them. the carp though are loaded naturally as are most fish.

Im recently into rabbits, guinea pigs (hey dont laugh they were bred for food for thousands of years!!! pretty dang tasty to) and chickens. chickens are just for eggs.... when i get to the new place im either getting some sheep or a goat for milk and lot maintenance... Id rather have the sheep because of the wool but they arent as efficient at lot maintenance so might go with goats anyway.

nice!!! sweet plan, and hey, i dont laugh at guinea pig raising...not at all, i just took advantage of a farm supply store that was offering TWO "hav-a-heart" traps for $25...one large, one smaller, and yeh, i'll "relocate" the critters...you betcha...right into the stew pot. So its a good deal you got going Zac. i'm not live stocked up yet, still in the process of lifting the cabin onto a concrete basemnt/bunker/foundation...(it'll be a combo of root cellar, "Al Bundy" memorial hideout, tornado shelter, etc) i got the benefit of having inumerable shagbark hickories, which as you know, kick off an intense amount of high protein mast(nuts) fit for both human and wildlife consumption. i'm not harvesting them this year except for seed to restock what i cut down, and in that spirit, dear brother, let me play you some Minnesota Nice...yah, thats how we roll up here, you betcha!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy2HfixB9_8
neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I dont have any hickories... yet.... I do have some pinon trees though! (if you or anyone wants any seed let me know, slow getting to produce like any nut tree but are the most drought tolerant nut tree that exists!! and yeah they will survive in fact thrive where it is wetter)

I need to get a few live traps myself actually. Rabbit size to protect my gardens a bit, and mouse sized to help feed the chickens. chickens love mice, going to cook them though, so there are not disease issues.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Do you know if those Pinion trees would be able to handle New England winters? I would be interested in swapping some seed if you want some of my Hickory. The nuts are not falling here yet, but it should not be too much longer. That's about when I break out the 20gauge and Big LED flashlight and start dropping as many Flying Squirrels as I can find. Barn wrecking bastards that they are!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Yep, the ones I have should be able to handle zone 4..... they survive just fine on the mountains I got them from. Ive read of people who grew them in much wetter regions then here and they did great. which is kinda counter intuitive. But your more then welcome to try them. gonna ask you to cover postage though. I am tight on cash with this move. I do have some hickory to plant just didnt do it yet.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:23 pm

NHsorter wrote:That's about when I break out the 20gauge and Big LED flashlight and start dropping as many Flying Squirrels as I can find. Barn wrecking bastards that they are!

I had a red ball in the bottom of a garbage can half full of water that collected many flying squirrels. I guess they jumped in after the "apple".

Perpetual mouse trap: Quarter full 5 gal bucket, run wire or stout cord across the top with can or plastic bottle strung on it (in the center of top and bottom is best), smear peanut butter or bacon grease on the can or bottle. Put in corner. You may need to empty every night to start.

Same idea should work for squirrels, rats, and pack rats, just get a deeper bucket.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Mossy wrote:
NHsorter wrote:That's about when I break out the 20gauge and Big LED flashlight and start dropping as many Flying Squirrels as I can find. Barn wrecking bastards that they are!

I had a red ball in the bottom of a garbage can half full of water that collected many flying squirrels. I guess they jumped in after the "apple".

Perpetual mouse trap: Quarter full 5 gal bucket, run wire or stout cord across the top with can or plastic bottle strung on it (in the center of top and bottom is best), smear peanut butter or bacon grease on the can or bottle. Put in corner. You may need to empty every night to start.

Same idea should work for squirrels, rats, and pack rats, just get a deeper bucket.

NICE trap idea! no anticougalants, no spring sets...you know what, Mossy?...you might have bailed me out, i have a terrible ridge top field mole problem, was groping for ideas to kill them. i have two years of soil amendments to do anyway on those pieces, but if i use plastic coffee cans, with old pill vials, same principle, i might have them...THANK YOU!...much appreciated, its worth the try for sure.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:51 am

Mossy wrote:

I LOVE IT. I will be setting these up tonight! Thank you. I have tried tons of traps with varying rates of success. One stand out trap that I continue to use is this rat trap pictured below. Good for Flyers, mice, chipmunks, rats. Super easy reset & it is rarely sprung without nabbing something.

I have used the 5-gallon pail drowning method and you really can rack up some huge numbers! Your idea is much more refined than mine. I would take a 5-gallon plastic pail and fill it 1/2 to 2/3 full with water and then throw in a few handfulls of sunflower seeds (with shells) on the top. The seeds float and cover the evidence of water. Place it at the base of the squirrels favorite tree and in the morning you'll have a few. Also gets mice and chipmunks and rats. A couple times I set up 30 gallon drum and caught me a few red and grey squirrels too. The major problem with this system is that the seeds end up sinking so you have to keep restocking the bait. Even worse than that is that the seeds start to ferment in there and they work up a really rancid stench in just a few days. So I have to constantly dump them out and refill them. I scoop out the animals twice a day to try to keep the water from getting real nasty, but just the seeds alone in there can really generate a nasty nasty odor. I'll have to set up a perpetual mouse trap tracking thread :lol:
Attachments
rat trap.jpg
rat trap.jpg (5.64 KiB) Viewed 382 times
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:36 am

Both quite welcome.

About the sunflower seeds, maybe rub some shelled seeds around the inside brim of the barrel so they can smell seeds, and toss some styrofoam peanuts on top the water?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:00 pm

We had mice in the house for the first time ever last year. None of the traditional traps worked, but this worked wonders. Sat this up on the kitchen counter with bird seed in the tube and a trash can underneath. I ended up taping a dead battery to the one end as a counterweight so I could hang it over the edge more.

natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Good artwork. Trouble with that sort is it needs resetting, unless you can hinge the tube so it resets it's self, somehow.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:30 pm

natsb88 wrote:We had mice in the house for the first time ever last year. None of the traditional traps worked, but this worked wonders. Sat this up on the kitchen counter with bird seed in the tube and a trash can underneath. I ended up taping a dead battery to the one end as a counterweight so I could hang it over the edge more.

Another good thing about this method is that it provides the opportunity for some great close quarters blow gun training. :lol:
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Don't use Water in the bucket, Use motor oil. They go to the bottom and never stink, Every time I emptied the Buckets at the shop there is two or three in the bottom.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Oil, nice, I like it. Some good ideas here guys. I'm gonna rack up some kills this weekend for sure.

Sorry about hijacking the thread Zac!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Ha! Im the worst thread hi jacker around.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Don't worry about the hijacking, NH. These rat-killing devices are excellent bits of info. Will the admins please thumbtack this to the top of some forum?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals