Missed opportunity. Perhaps an opportunity for other members

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Missed opportunity. Perhaps an opportunity for other members

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:03 pm

So I'm at my local Chase branch picking up a bunch of pennies and other denominations today when I found out I shouldn't have skipped them a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any regular orders there so I don't always stop there every Saturday to pick up coins. It depends on time and funds availability. They are generally later in my Saturday rotation since they are open till 4. I couple of weeks ago I had something else to do in the afternoon so I skipped my regular visit.

Today as I'm picking up $55 in pennies and a few hundred in dimes and quarters I get to talking with the vault manager about coin racks. Seems they are only using the single layer plastic trays now. Something about new audit procedures so that the auditor can see there is no open space in the trays. They were told to get rid of all their aluminum trays and all those wonderful portacounts that hold $25 in pennies, $100 in nickels, $200 in dimes and $300 in quarters. He said they threw them all in the trash 2 weeks ago. He would have just given them to me, but I didn't stop by that week and his branch manager wanted them gone.

It may not be too late for some of you. Be sure to tell your branches.. especially Chase bank branches.. that you would be more than happy to recycle any coin trays they would like to throw out. Sometimes you can get a stack of canvas bank bags this way also.. when they decide they are only going to use the plastic coin shipment bags.

I almost got a teller coin return this way when they did some remodeling at one of my Wells Fargo branches. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: Missed opportunity. Perhaps an opportunity for other mem

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 am

I guess I missed out too. This afternoon I was going around to a few Chase branches to pick up pennies. The 4pm closing time is really convenient. Didn't know to ask about excess trays. None of the banks had any boxes available which was strange. I assumed it had something to do with it being Saturday afternoon and that they probably gave out all they had because of the holiday on Monday. The tellers I talked to were all willing to offer what little they had in CWRs. One of them brought a stack of those single layer trays from the vault filled with all the rolls they had available - only $25 worth.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Missed opportunity. Perhaps an opportunity for other mem

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 am

I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask if they have any obsolete trays or portacounts they want to get rid of. Some branches may have just set them aside and not thrown them out yet. If anybody gets a bunch more than they need.. I'm a buyer! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing