Rolling or not rolling for after SHTF

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Rolling or not rolling for after SHTF

Postby Common Cents » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:01 pm

I don't roll- can always do that later. I prefer to put all my efforts toward accumulation at this point. As far as storage, think about plastic juice bottles. One quart bottles hold ten pounds worth of CU, and half gallon bottles hold 20 lbs. These are light enough to move around without getting a hernia, and are airtight (deters corrosion), and durable, and free!
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 am

I roll them and label the rolls: 59-81, 82 Copper, 70-96 Canadian, Canada 60's, 50's, 40's, Wheat 50's, 40's, 30's, 20's, 10's, Cleaned & Ugly & Nice Copper.
I have a manual Kloop coin counter and with a few hand cranks I can fill a roll tube. I stack then on edge in my safe to bulk up the weight a bit more. I am not a big time sorter but devote 20-30 minutes a day to it. When a sorting bin fills up I roll that bin and return the extra's. Everyday some progess is made and my goal is a dollar a day in coppers. I am taking a break right now as I am 32 days ahead of my goal schedule and just loading up on fresh rolls to sort.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 am

balz wrote:However for investing purpose I like the fact that I know one box of 50 rolls is about 14 to 15.5 pounds; it's easy then to know how much penny weight I have.

If your boxes weigh 14 to 15.5 pounds you better resort those puppies and take out all those zincs. A box of copper with paper wrappers and box should weigh appoximately 17.1 pounds.

On rolling.. Let's put it this way.. I have 3 automatic rolling machines and I rarely roll my copper. I have a few boxes of custom rolled copper for marketing purposes, but most folks prefer to buy thier copper loose in bags. If somebody wants it machine rolled it is an easy matter to fire up a couple machines and roll it to order. I roll a lot of zinc cause that makes it much easier to dispose of at my banks.

Take the time you would spend rolling your copper and.. just sort more! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing