Found a good bank

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Found a good bank

Postby texcollex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:52 pm

I had a good experience the other day in a TD bank about 40 miles from where I'm staying. I entered and told the teller that my kids and I liked to sort through pennies and look for collectibles (the truth, and I had my 7 year old son come in the bank with me on purpose). :mrgreen: I asked her if they had surplus pennies that I could buy. She smiled and gladly gave my $30 worth (dumb me, that's all the cash I brought in). She also proceeded to ask the manager about boxes in the vault, and they gladly offered me multiple boxes at any time.

I didn't ask about ordering boxes, I'm living on the road right now and can't handle too much volume. I did ask about the coin counter that they had in the lobby. The manager was willing to let me buy the coins, but she couldn't figure out how to handle the situation. The coin counter keeps track of the count and the manager has to send in that exact amount of coin. I'll check in with them in another day or two, maybe take some sweets with me. They were very accomodating and nice to me. Not sure if having my son come in with me did any good, but I've not had much luck picking up pennies lately and was glad for the "change".

I've sorted through a bit over half of them. I'm sorting with a coin comparitor that I have clamped to my TV table, hand feeding. I still like to look through them by hand, too, and pick out wheats and such. I got 3 US dimes in the rolls so far, and one Canadian dime. I also had six of the rolls that were basically 96% Canadian pennies (I'm staying 3 miles from Canada). I've collected up $3 fv of canadian coppers so far out of all the pennies I've sorted. Got to decide what to do with those and the cull Canadian cents I've sorted out.

Tex
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Re: Found a good bank

Postby balz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Nice!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 pm

TD has been good to me so far (fingers crossed). There are so many branches here in central CT that there are still a few within reasonable driving distance I haven't even been to yet.

I got to open the vault door today at my main dump branch...the wheel was stuck and the lady manager asked if I could turn it unloose. Always wanted to do that :D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby balz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Morsecode wrote:TD has been good to me so far (fingers crossed). There are so many branches here in central CT that there are still a few within reasonable driving distance I haven't even been to yet.

I got to open the vault door today at my main dump branch...the wheel was stuck and the lady manager asked if I could turn it unloose. Always wanted to do that :D

My experience with TD is that they are cool at first and more than willing to order some boxes of pennies for you. But if you ask on a regular basis they will do everything to get rid of you.

One of the branch wanted to charge me 10$ fees every 4 boxes ordered AND money going through my account (which mean more fees).
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 pm

I find most TDs good for a drive by one or two box. Never tried ordering, always got the feeling that wouldn't fly. ALL TDs refuse to sell bags.
fb101

Postby Morsecode » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm getting bags at TD. So far, only one branch will give them up, and that's one that doesn't have a penny arcade in the lobby. Problem is, most TD's have the arcade, and those are the ones that can't/won't sell bags.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing