First time hoarder

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First time hoarder

Postby Trey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi guys I've been browsing through these forums for awhile, and have decided to jump on the bandwagon and give hoarding a shot. I have been a coin collector for many years and, one day, while browsing a coin forum, someone posted a link to this site. After reading about what all of you were doing and fiat vs real money, I had a "why didn't I think of that" moment and immediately scrambled down to my bank to pick up a few boxes. Teller had no issues with handing over $100 dollars worth of pennies without a second thought and I rushed home and began sorting. A few hours later here's what I came up with :D .

Indian head and steelie
P1060976.jpg
P1060976.jpg (234.45 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Weird/altered cents
87.jpg
87.jpg (247.63 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Wheaties Galore
54325.jpg
54325.jpg (222.83 KiB) Viewed 544 times

& of course, plenty of coppers (around 2000)

As far as I can tell it was a pretty successful haul, can't wait to pick up my order of 15 boxes later this week :D
-Trey
Trey

Re: First time hoarder

Postby Corsair » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Welcome to the madness, Trey. Good to have you aboard. Although, I have to give you a little bit of a hard time - did you take that last picture with a toaster? Pixel-licious! Just kidding, again, welcome, and nice finds.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Nice score on your first 4 boxes. I don't think I found an IHC until I had gone through about 100 boxes and I have not found one since. Welcome!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey Trey,

Welcome to the forum. Very nice first 4 boxes. Apparently you didn't read that special rule in the other thread about Indians found by members with less than 10 posts. I'll PM you my address. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Trey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks guys. Sounds like I did pretty well 8-)

Corsair wrote:Welcome to the madness, Trey. Good to have you aboard. Although, I have to give you a little bit of a hard time - did you take that last picture with a toaster? Pixel-licious! Just kidding, again, welcome, and nice finds.

Had to decrease the quality of the pics to upload, didn't realise it was that bad until now.
Trey

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:56 am

Found an Indian in your first four boxes? You're hooked now. Welcome.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby gizmosinglee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:17 am

Welcome to the forum!
gizmosinglee

Postby csb3tennessee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:47 pm

I just don't get it- I've hand-sorted roughly 1/4 million cents- no IH to date. :( Great find and welcome!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Welcome. Quick to find an Indian. Congratulations on the finds and keep up the searches.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:27 pm

I must have gone through about 1 million pennies this year and I have not seen one indian. I'm jealous!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:40 am

csb3tennessee wrote:I just don't get it- I've hand-sorted roughly 1/4 million cents- no IH to date. :( Great find and welcome!

You just aren't sorting enough. Or you are in the wrong place. Any state that starts with T generally has virtually no Indians in circulation. TexasCattleRancher.. aka TenBears formed a cult of non believers on the old RealCent. It was his contention that any realcenter claiming to have found an Indian head cent in the wild was dilusional and had possibly inhaled some sort of wild Indian pathogen. Members who claimed multiple Indian finds were rumoured to have covered their naked bodies with feathers and engaged in a special wild Indian dance to summon the feathered liberties to their penny piles.

If you just crank up a few Ryedales you can sort through millions of cents and then just pluck those Indians out of the zinc bucket. I just found another one this week! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Gipper1985 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:40 pm

After I read this board for a while I bought my first box of cents, I found my first Indian. I have not seen another in two years. The sad thing is that I don't even remember the date because I tossed it in a pile of Indians that I had inherited. I just figured I was going to be finding a bunch more so it was no big deal...
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing