Some noob questions

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Some noob questions

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Hello all!

Of course half of what I wanted to ask flew out of my head the moment I started to type. There have been a few things my wife has asked about as I was reading different posts on here.

One was what is "CDW"? is that it? or "CDW" I don't recall.
What is a "dump bank"?
EDIT what is a "MDA"?
What is a "CWR" am I confusing the 2? (CWR-CDW)?
What is the "SHTF"?

Man there about 5 other abbreviations I see all the time that I have yet to figure out what they mean by their context. I think a lot of those are probably just banks, which I already know what banks I have to deal with here 1 Chase, 1 Bank of America, 1 Key bank and one more I don't recall at the moment. We do have a Horizon credit union here. But the 2 times we have talked to them in the last 15 years they were pretty uppity and didn't care for the likes of us, not enough money I guess I dunno.

Anyway sorry for the question about nothin. I will go read for a bit and they will come to me and I will EDIT them in here, thanks again guys.

Sammy
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Some noob questions

Postby Economist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Welcome to Realcent.

Here's what I know:

A dump bank is where you take your zinc pennies, clad dimes/ quarters, etc., to turn them back into FRNs ("Federal Reserve Notes") with which to purchase more coins for sorting/ hoarding/ selling. Getting and keeping a good dump bank is one of the big hurdles in this game.

CWR means "customer wrapped roll"--i.e. a roll of coins that is brought in by a bank customer in a hand-folded paper wrapper, as opposed to BWR or "bank wrapped roll" that is processed by one of the armored car companies (or sometimes the bank itself) in a paper (e.g. N.F. String/ Garda) or plastic (e.g. Brinks), machine-sealed wrapper.

SHTF is what a lot of coin hoarders are preparing for: S[tuff] Hits The Fan

Keep the questions coming--you'll find that this is a very friendly, very tight community (although most of the guys on here are nuts ;-)
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Economist wrote:Welcome to Realcent.

Here's what I know:

A dump bank is where you take your zinc pennies, clad dimes/ quarters, etc., to turn them back into FRNs ("Federal Reserve Notes") with which to purchase more coins for sorting/ hoarding/ selling. Getting and keeping a good dump bank is one of the big hurdles in this game.

CWR means "customer wrapped roll"--i.e. a roll of coins that is brought in by a bank customer in a hand-folded paper wrapper, as opposed to BWR or "bank wrapped roll" that is processed by one of the armored car companies (or sometimes the bank itself) in a paper (e.g. N.F. String/ Garda) or plastic (e.g. Brinks), machine-sealed wrapper.

SHTF is what a lot of coin hoarders are preparing for: S[tuff] Hits The Fan

Keep the questions coming--you'll find that this is a very friendly, very tight community (although most of the guys on here are nuts ;-)

Hahaha thank you! Seeing them written out/ explained makes me feel like a goof. But I guess it always takes a little while to figure out the terms and phrases used in different circles.

We get mostly bank wrapped rolls (BWR) here say something with "string" on em. A few hand rolled which I usually hate because they are always so dirty compared to the , wait for it, BWR's! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I guess I am using MY bank as our dump bank then, They won't order any coins for us but we bank there so I can deposit my money into the account anyway I see fit. Thank you again for some of the explanations.
Sammy
Last edited by CoolRide on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby creshka46 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:46 pm

And to eloborate on SHTF if you're still not sure. It's the term that is synonamous with fiscal armageddon, the end of the USA as we know it, global economic collapse, etc. etc. Think like Mad Max or the Book of Eli. Although not everyone thinks it will be so extreme . :)
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:26 pm

CoolRide wrote:hand rolled which I usually hate
...those are the "CRW" you want those good chances they have abundant copper and the possibility to be loaded with dimes.

SCP = Super Cruddy Pennies, part of the Ugly Abe family of nasty looking cents.
ASE= American Silver Eagle
AGE= the gold version of the above

Ask away you can't learn if you dont ask....

Get some donuts and other "goodies" and stroke those tellers...with only 4 banks...your gonna have to work that.

Good luck
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Well we waited half an hour then decided to make an appointment for tomorrow. They knew we only had 12-1 and we called ahead today and they said to come in, of course.
However they came to us every 5 minutes apologizing as they remembered we were on limited time (aren't we all?) They did say someone had called in sick.

Some lady wrote up an appointment for tomorrow and sold me box of $25 pennies (thought it would be a good time to ask)

Will try again tomorrow, told them my mom is dying and IF something happens I wont make it but will call.

All the girls there, well and the one guy I have seen, all have been very polite and at least LOOK to me like they care and are trying. They know our interest is in pennies but we are also a NEW customer and they seem to want that.

Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing