Trading/Investment Thread

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Trading/Investment Thread

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:47 pm

68Camaro wrote:I was like... what the *heck* is he talking about...

Finally just saw the headline.

So you think this is a good thing? Job leaving i mean. Why else would you buy it after he announces his resignation?

Rodebaugh wrote:Talk about a loss of Jobs....Look for this to be heavily oversold........I'm Buying AAPL with both hands 8-)

I think it's a non issue that will cause the stock to be oversold short term. He will still be on the BOG with his hands in everything. Heck he has already been out on medical leave for months and apple is still knocking it out of the park.

My wife dosen't care who the CEO is/was.......she will still demand itunes cards from the local coinstar dumps.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Just saw the job resignation as well...

Thats a pretty good gap down this morning! Definitely a good buy, too bad I barely have enough for 2 shares in my portfolio :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 am

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 am

DYODD... picked up 1000 shares of SVM at $7.99, more than 50% off it's peak. There's some rumors there is a huge short position against it, and someone is trying to "discredit" the stock. This stock has one of the lowest costs for mining silver, and has at times been a big mover. A value play at this time. Paper play it and see how she does 8-)
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:08 pm

beauanderos wrote:DYODD... picked up 1000 shares of SVM at $7.99, more than 50% off it's peak. There's some rumors there is a huge short position against it, and someone is trying to "discredit" the stock. This stock has one of the lowest costs for mining silver, and has at times been a big mover. A value play at this time. Paper play it and see how she does 8-)

Bought another 1000 of SVM at $7.20 :D Expect this baby to explode in a few days
beauanderos

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Any idea why it is dropping while silver is popping?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:13 pm

NHsorter wrote:Any idea why it is dropping while silver is popping?

SILVERCORP METALS (SVM-TSX; SVM-NYSE) ANDREW KAIP, P.GEO.
Brief Research Note
Rating: Outperform
Price: $8.23
Target: $17.50

Title: Proactively Defends Itself Against Short Seller
Impact: Positive
Details & Analysis: Silvercorp announced that it has received an anonymous letter accusing it of a $1.3 billion accounting fraud. The letter was forwarded to SVM late yesterday afternoon by its auditors. The central allegations are that: 1) SVM misrepresented its 2010 calendar year profit of US$66 million, 2) the company’s cash position is grossly overstated, and 3) grades at the Ying mine are “too good to be true.” SVM has denied the allegations and provided supporting documentation on its website to support its position. The press release provides links to Chinese government websites, which demonstrate that the company declared a RMB502 million (~US$73 million) profit over calendar year 2010. SVM provides bank statements from Canadian and Chinese institutions outlining total cash holdings and short-term investments of ~US$221 million. As at the June 30, 2011 quarter end, SVM reported cash and short-term investments of US$230.5 million, with the difference explained through ongoing operating profits offset by the ~$US17 million the company has recently spent repurchasing its own common shares. Current cash on hand exceeds the total amount of equity funding raised by SVM (US$202.5 million) since 2004. Over this timeframe, SVM has paid shareholders ~US$40 million in dividends and has spent US$31 million repurchasing shares. BMO views the company’s proactive approach toward disclosure to repudiate allegations of fraud as a positive step. BMO reiterates SVM’s Outperform rating and views weakness in the share price as a rare buying opportunity.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am

A huge short position and allegations of fraud? That is one I would avoid.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby coincrazy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm

In at 8.50 and 7.50.
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:19 am

SoFa wrote:A huge short position and allegations of fraud? That is one I would avoid.

This is not another Bre-X, and if the price continues to drop I will dollar cost avg in for a few thousand more shares. Actually, I'm hoping that happens. This is a rare opportunity, in a quality stock (much the same as the engineered physical silver sell-offs) to buy in at a manipulated false low cost. Of course, you should be well-represented with quality silver miners if you are playing this market (SLW, AG, EXK, AXU, HL, PAAS)... but SVM was recently (prior to these allegations and shorting) part of that select group. When silver explodes this puppy will be barking LOUD. Buy the dips! Who is to say the same game JPM plays with physical doesn't occur in the mining equities? You can be sure that it DOES. :o :shock: :?
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 am

Swiss Franc got pegged to the Euro yesterday by their central bank! How bizarre is that, that a country should desire that their currency be equally debased as everyone elses? I understand the reasoning - to be "strong" means that you can't trade - and I'm sure they can also undo this later as they choose, but it highlights the risk of getting too involved in any one currency.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 am

Bought another 1000 shares SVM at $7.80. Stock seems to have bottomed and is gaining upward momentum once more. Broad market in a downdraft, will have to see how this effects the mining equities. You guys should check out NUGT as well. Bought in at $34 about a week ago, up past $43 this morning. :mrgreen:
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 pm

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... stock.aspx

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... etals.aspx

Silvercorp closed at $8.22 today, up 4% on a day when carnage was wreaked on many of the miners. :shock:
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 am

beauanderos wrote:http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/09/07/is-silvercorp-metals-the-perfect-stock.aspx

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... etals.aspx

Silvercorp closed at $8.22 today, up 4% on a day when carnage was wreaked on many of the miners. :shock:

Silvercorp now up another 8.25% to $8.89 :D May pull some off the table at $11.00... or may just ride this stallion into the sunset until it breaks it's previous high of $16.32 :mrgreen:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/292389- ... urce=yahoo
beauanderos

Postby fasteddy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:01 am

i was looking for something different, thanks for the info, beauanderos. I am in @7.99...it was 7.90 when I was getting in but then shot to 7.99 when the order went through...A great ride so far.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 am

bought another 1000 shares SVM at $7.96
beauanderos

Postby coincrazy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:42 am

Feeling like a sucker yet?
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:29 pm

coincrazy wrote:Feeling like a sucker yet?

Nope. Bought another 2000 at $6.53. This is a good company.
beauanderos

Postby fasteddy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 pm

yep I am in again @$6.50.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:59 pm

I hope you guys are right, I doubled down at 6.45 - come on rally!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm

no pain no gain...I watched go down to $6.26 and bought in again on the way back up...we'll see.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 pm

six times the normal trading volume today. I find it hard to believe that this company could appear sound for as long as it has, then suddenly, after allegations that have been refuted... it's suddenly shaky. I'm willing to take my chances, but then again, most of my purchases are within my 401k, and Obama was gonna take that away from us anyway, sometime down the road. So I might as well try and hit homers and pull it out before he gets his mitts on it. If I'm wrong... it's just numbers, and he gets zilch.
beauanderos

Postby SoFa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 pm

It's interesting to watch this unfold.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby coincrazy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:23 pm

I've got some cash on the sidelines. I'm concerned at this point that they haven't made any type of public statement like the anon letter. I did read the new report and they said they were picking up rocks along the side of the road that fell off trucks to have tested. Still seems shaky to me. And all the reports of fraud are coming from people that clearly state they are shorting the stock. That's legal for someone actively trading on a stock to be dropping reports like that?
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

PreviousNext

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions