My favorite coin dealer is getting old

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My favorite coin dealer is getting old

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Last year I purchased about $3,000 in assorted coins from a coin dealer I have known since I was 19. That's going on 38 years now. He is getting up into his mid-70's. He is like a beloved uncle to me. I bought mostly silver dollars and halves with a small amount of other coins in the mix too.

Anyway, tonight I finally got around to looking at the 90% quarters, dimes, and pre-WW2 wheat pennies portion of the buy from last year.

Here is what I found in my buy of "90%" coins:

2 copper-clad quarters out of 30 and 71 copper-clad dimes out of 114. And I paid for 90% coins!! :shock: :oops:

Oh, well. :roll: He is just getting up in years and is entitled to make a few mistakes in my book. I have made plenty of good deals with him over the years and am richer (both in money and in life) for having him as my friend. :D He gets a pass.

Next time I will carefully look at all the coins before I walk out the door! ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: My favorite coin dealer is getting old

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 pm

You really need to make him aware of what happened. He may not know, or is confused.

Another dissatisfied customer might really give him a hard time for something like that.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Thogey wrote:You really need to make him aware of what happened. He may not know, or is confused.

Another dissatisfied customer might really give him a hard time for something like that.

You are so right. I can vouch for the man. I guarantee 100% that was an honest mistake. He probably got them from someone he trusted and then sold them in the same lot he bought them in. I will give him a call tomorrow and let him know.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ember » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 pm

I edge check everything I am purchasing just to be sure, then I go on to look at dates if they are Kennedy halves. Sucks you didn't notice before hand.
ember

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:50 pm

It took you a year to check your coins? :shock:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:22 am

I'm with Thogey on this one. The quarters are almost passable, but the dimes? No way, that's well over 50%.

Hopefully he believes you and/or doesn't get offended.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:34 am

A few of them can slip through. I found 2-3 clad dimes in a $500 bag from a well known and well respected dealer, which I just went through in detail. But it was close enough - I'm sure I got my weight in that bag, nonetheless. But the number you mention isn't acceptable - I suspect he got scammed himself, as noted above, and didn't check it before passing it on, as he should have.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 am

You lost a lot of money on those dimes. I would go back to him and let him know. Since you have a good relationship, he should know you're being truthful.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:32 am

68Camaro wrote:A few of them can slip through. I found 2-3 clad dimes in a $500 bag from a well known and well respected dealer, which I just went through in detail. But it was close enough - I'm sure I got my weight in that bag, nonetheless. But the number you mention isn't acceptable - I suspect he got scammed himself, as noted above, and didn't check it before passing it on, as he should have.

This happened to me with 90% JFK's. It was a $1000 face value bag. After sorting, I noticed there were ten 40% silvers. I took a picture of them, sent the pic to them via email. 3 days later and they sent me ten 90%s. They let me keep the ten 40%s to make up for the error. 8-)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 am

Sorry to hear about this experience. I think it behooves you to tell him what happened, even if it's just a friend to friend conversation and not a customer-to-business owner conversation. About 3 years ago, I bought $100 face 90% silver from mintproducts.com in New Hampshire. I found one clad Roosevelt and called them to tell them. They were courteous and 3 days later, a mercury dime arrived in the mail. That's good service and it sounds like this gentleman could offer you the same.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:23 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:It took you a year to check your coins? :shock:

I looked at all the big stuff (dollars & halves) before I left his store. The little stuff was like an after-thought to fill out the rest of the sale. I wanted to divest myself of as many FRN's as possible. I threw the bag of quarters, dimes, & and wheaties in the back of the closet and forgot about it. It really wasn't that much. And yes, all you guys are right... I should always look closely at all the coins before leaving the sale.

My relationship to this man is more than just a coin shop owner/ retail buyer scenario. We are almost family, and have worked on many projects together as business associates. He gave me my first real break into construction business management at the tender age of 27 and I will always owe him a debt of gratitude. (He was a full time Architect and part time coin & militaria dealer.)

And the $7.10 in post 1964 dimes? I have already converted them into Ike dollars this morning. I bought 41 Ikes and one 40% Kennedy at my favorite bank today.

I will talk to him, but I don't want anything in the way of compensation... I have already made out in Aces with the man. 8-)
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I still remember when I was a kid (waaaay back in the 80's) I bought a roll of wheats at a local shop. There were maybe 3 coins in the roll that were not wheats. I went back within a few days and mentioned it while shopping around for more stuff. The guy had a smallish box of wheats there, so he dug a handful out and gave them to me. "That oughtta cover it, eh kid?" He hadn't been trying to scam me in the first place, but he sure earned a good reputation that day.

Interesting PS, the guy still owns a shop, but is now QUITE crazy.
uthminsta

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals