How many pennies are you sorting per week?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How many pennies are you sorting per week?

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

I am currently sorting 30,000 - 50,000 per week with a ryedale. I am not working right now and still find it tedious when I go above 30K pennies per week.

If I plan on doing 50,000, I spread it out over 3-5 days. Still, I am very fatigued after sorting though that many pennies. It's mainly the neck and eye strain that takes it's toll on me. I don't know how some of you guys have to energy to look for error coins or other oddities. I would appreciate any tips you may have.

Thanks.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: How many pennies are you sorting per week?

Postby fasteddy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:17 pm

sort now and look later.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:53 pm

I do about 25,000 a week (10 boxes) I'm doing the "sort now and look later" as well. I scan the clad before I dump (and I am glad I do because 2 IHC's popped up last night). But the coppers are just getting boxed up for now. As I have spare time I pull the wheats out of the coppers and mark those as searched in case I find a buyer.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby adagirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:52 pm

I work full-time and I have a part-time private practice. I sort 20,000 a week, and I know that is low when compared to others on here like HCBTT. I have no idea how folks have time to sort for error coins. I gave it a try and I felt like I wasted a lot of time. I also have a two year old, so I have to wait until she is not in the house to sort for wheats, and to run through the zincs for oddities and possible wheats that the ryedale may have missed. I am really backed up on getting the zincs back to my dump bank as I currently have about 60,000 zincs just sitting in boxes on the floor. I'm not sure that I gave any insightful help, but you are not alone! Perhaps some experts will chime in....
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby mishra142 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:11 pm

I currently hand sort about 4 boxes per week. As well as about 4-5 boxes of halves per week. Trying to talk myself into getting a ryedale.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bartender » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Over the summer I was sorting $150/week minimum. Now that school has started again I'm down to a trickle... $10/week if I'm lucky
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Wow. I need to step it up! I only hand sort $20-30 a week. But I suppose that a little is better than none.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Wow. I need to step it up! I only hand sort $20-30 a week. But I suppose that a little is better than none.

some is better than none!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bartender » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 pm

A little is absolutely better than none. Even though I'm only able to sort less than 1/10 of what I was a month ago, I (and I'm sure everyone here)
would gladly take that over sorting 100% less!
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Franklin sorts $250-$350 FV a week.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby adagirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:45 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Franklin sorts $250-$350 FV a week.

Is Franklin doing this by hand or using a Ryedale? EIther way that is a good amount to be sorting!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:57 pm

adagirl wrote:

Is Franklin doing this by hand or using a Ryedale? EIther way that is a good amount to be sorting!

As you may know Franklin has autism so I keep him busy hand sorting as Franklin can not read he pulls out what he thinks is odd and then into the Ryedale.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby adagirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:17 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
adagirl wrote:

As you may know Franklin has autism so I keep him busy hand sorting as Franklin can not read he pulls out what he thinks is odd and then into the Ryedale.

I don't post frequently but I've been on RC for about a year now. Yes, I do know Franklin has Autism and that is why I asked. As a clinical psychologist I think it is wonderful that you are engaging him in this activity.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm

adagirl wrote:I work full-time and I have a part-time private practice. I sort 20,000 a week, and I know that is low when compared to others on here like HCBTT. I have no idea how folks have time to sort for error coins. I gave it a try and I felt like I wasted a lot of time. I also have a two year old, so I have to wait until she is not in the house to sort for wheats, and to run through the zincs for oddities and possible wheats that the ryedale may have missed. I am really backed up on getting the zincs back to my dump bank as I currently have about 60,000 zincs just sitting in boxes on the floor. I'm not sure that I gave any insightful help, but you are not alone! Perhaps some experts will chime in....

20,000 is a very respectable considering your profession and having a young child. I am not married, I do not have kids and I cannot imagine doing more than 50,000 per week. Like you, I feel searching for error coins is not worth the time. Breaking the all the rolls open is more tedious than anything else, and I am pretty good at it. The Brinks rolls are plastic and take a little longer to release. I would love to find a penny source where I can get bags instead of boxes.

Regarding my zincs, I dump them and collect them during the same trip. I have 3 accounts at different banks. Thankfully, there are 15 different branches within a 5 mile radius for me to pillage. I feel bad for Cu hoarders that live in small towns... it must take forever to accumulate a decent stash.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXTim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Average 60K here- no fatigue.
Also search nickels, dimes & halves - work 50 - 60 hours a week and get at least 8 hours of sleep and have time to do chores, hunt, fish and garden.
Still feel a little guilty for being so lazy.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 pm

You're a monster Tim! Just curious, how old are you?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 am

TXTim wrote:Average 60K here- no fatigue.
Also search nickels, dimes & halves - work 50 - 60 hours a week and get at least 8 hours of sleep and have time to do chores, hunt, fish and garden.

I do the nickels, dimes, quarters, and halves also.. plus work 60 plus hours per week and have a 50 mile commute to work. I peaked at 100 boxes (250,000 coins) per week with no neck or eye strain.. but maybe a little back strain and some sore thumbs. Had to back off that pace a bit because of the challenge of zinc disposal when you play at that level and to devote more time to the day job. I also go to several coin clubs during the month. I haven't mastered that 8 hours of sleep thing yet. I try not to feel guilty about being so lazy. Maybe if I ramp back up I can assauge those feelings of guilt.

Imagine how many pennies I could sort if I didn't spend so much time posting here. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:09 am

Not enough....

Edit: I do buy boxes when I can, and just sit on them. One day I'll feed them in to a Ryedale.
Last edited by PennyBoy on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby JobIII » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:08 am

I don't really know how much i process a week. I think it's up around the higher numbers in this post. I've found a couple really helpful supply and return locations.

At the moment though, i'm only sorting for copper, and checking the zinc pile for the usual suspects (IHC, wheats, copper, etc.). If i see an zinc "S" mint, or a mistrike i'll hold it but I don't have time to sort for error dates. However, I may be willing to switch to error hunting once i reach my copper goal. But it's a lot of work to look for a couple examples of errors. And there is no telling if these errors will amount to any value in the future...

It may be easier for you to just look for silver dimes, and then trade them for the errors you want :)

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 am

JobIII wrote:
It may be easier for you to just look for silver dimes, and then trade them for the errors you want :)

~JobIII

No, you have it backwards, I want to find the errors that are passing through my copper operation so that I can trade them for silver :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:

I do the nickels, dimes, quarters, and halves also.. plus work 60 plus hours per week and have a 50 mile commute to work. I peaked at 100 boxes (250,000 coins) per week with no neck or eye strain.. but maybe a little back strain and some sore thumbs. Had to back off that pace a bit because of the challenge of zinc disposal when you play at that level and to devote more time to the day job. I also go to several coin clubs during the month. I haven't mastered that 8 hours of sleep thing yet. I try not to feel guilty about being so lazy. Maybe if I ramp back up I can assauge those feelings of guilt.

Imagine how many pennies I could sort if I didn't spend so much time posting here. :mrgreen:

100 boxes per week??? Holy sh*t ! :o :shock: :o :shock:

I'm a penny-ante operator compared to some of you guys.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 am

I try to do 20000 but usually 15000.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby balz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

More than that is too difficult to dump and too much time find source. I order from two different banks 5 boxes each time, twice a week.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:26 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:

clearly you are not married and do not have any children! :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
adagirl wrote:I work full-time and I have a part-time private practice. I sort 20,000 a week, and I know that is low when compared to others on here like HCBTT. I have no idea how folks have time to sort for error coins. I gave it a try and I felt like I wasted a lot of time. I also have a two year old, so I have to wait until she is not in the house to sort for wheats, and to run through the zincs for oddities and possible wheats that the ryedale may have missed. I am really backed up on getting the zincs back to my dump bank as I currently have about 60,000 zincs just sitting in boxes on the floor. I'm not sure that I gave any insightful help, but you are not alone! Perhaps some experts will chime in....

20,000 is a very respectable considering your profession and having a young child. I am not married, I do not have kids and I cannot imagine doing more than 50,000 per week. Like you, I feel searching for error coins is not worth the time. Breaking the all the rolls open is more tedious than anything else, and I am pretty good at it. The Brinks rolls are plastic and take a little longer to release. I would love to find a penny source where I can get bags instead of boxes.

Regarding my zincs, I dump them and collect them during the same trip. I have 3 accounts at different banks. Thankfully, there are 15 different branches within a 5 mile radius for me to pillage. I feel bad for Cu hoarders that live in small towns... it must take forever to accumulate a decent stash.

Thanks! :D I would still like to sort more, but reality gets in the way. Breaking the rolls is the most time consuming part. You are fortunate to have so many banks in your area. I am currently in small town Georgia (not originally from the South) and while I can get my hands on a good amount of Cu, in small towns people want to know your business so I get the questions from tellers and customers alike, not to mention the looks I get when carting the boxes out. And to top it off, GA has a much lower Cu yield than say WI or CA.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing