Metal detector

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Metal detector

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:56 pm

My dad has some land that 50 years ago was an hotel with a small ski resort. I was thinking about buying a metal detector and try to find some silver coins.

Any recommandation? I am on a limited budget.

Thanks
balz
Penny Collector Member

Re: Metal detector

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Given your limited budget, why don't you borrow one before you go all in on a purchase? Know anybody who has one?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm

UNfortunately I know nobody who has one...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Would you have any recommandation as for what I should be looking for, even if it is trying to rent one? Thanks
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Where are you located?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Canada
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Garret Ace 250, just got myself one last week. Under $250 and a decent detector
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Yeah I did some research and those are the two that I think are interesting for a beginner:

1) Garret Ace 250
2) Bounty Hunter IV

The thing is that the second one is half the price...

From a stricly cash point of view, do you think there is any chance to recover the price of the metal detector in North America? In Europe, there is A LOT to search for, but not in North America...

250$, this is still 5 oz. of silver! :)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby gettin copper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm

metal detecting has a huge learning curve. Be ready to dig alot of junk, people spent months before finding one peice of silver. I've had both those machines you mention. You have to enjoy it has a hobby finding clad, pulltabs, and other junk or dont bother.

Your also gonna need a solid trowel and a good pinpointer, or your really gonna be a "blind squirel". I'd maybe put an add on craiglist looking to rent or borrow one in your area. Maybe someone has two, and you can hunt the property, or local park and split the finds or something. If you were in my area and wanted to borrow my bounty hunter 5, i'd giggle and gladly give it to you cause I'd know exactly what your in for.

goodluck!
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:08 pm

I have a tesoro lobo super trac. It's a badd ass MD.

My back is broken and all I find is CRAP, JUNK, DUNNAGE! I can detect a fragmant of a piece of tin foil 20 inches deep.

I hate this thing!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Thogey wrote:I have a tesoro lobo super trac. It's a badd ass MD.

My back is broken and all I find is CRAP, JUNK, DUNNAGE! I can detect a fragmant of a piece of tin foil 20 inches deep.

I hate this thing!

Somebody cue the violins! Wah...wah...wah. Thogey can outmoan (is that even a word?) anyone on this site. And we all enjoy it so much. :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Coppercrazy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 am

It sounds like you have a great location to search! I say go ahead and buy one,give it a go if you get fed up and want to sell the detector,you will be able to recover about 1/2 what you paid...in fact if youre okay with used check ebay and craigslist-you never know...but an old hotel/resort location sounds like a fun spot to detect that might just get you some nice finds.Also hit little swimming holes,beach type places(im assuming you have lakes and stuff nearby) good luck! no advice as to what detector to buy though...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby balz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm

gettin copper wrote:metal detecting has a huge learning curve. Be ready to dig alot of junk, people spent months before finding one peice of silver. I've had both those machines you mention. You have to enjoy it has a hobby finding clad, pulltabs, and other junk or dont bother.

Your also gonna need a solid trowel and a good pinpointer, or your really gonna be a "blind squirel". I'd maybe put an add on craiglist looking to rent or borrow one in your area. Maybe someone has two, and you can hunt the property, or local park and split the finds or something. If you were in my area and wanted to borrow my bounty hunter 5, i'd giggle and gladly give it to you cause I'd know exactly what your in for.

goodluck!

Thanks for the tips... So basically you're saying I won't get any revenue from that... I could break my back ... for nothing basically, right?

I'm not sure about spending 200$ on something that I may use only a handful of times and not been sure what I can find (that was a very small ski resort with like one or two trails and a small hotel)...

I thought it was pretty easy: you walk around a trail, you spot old silver quarters and voilà!

Hmm... not sure what to think about this now
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Coppercrazy wrote:It sounds like you have a great location to search! I say go ahead and buy one,give it a go if you get fed up and want to sell the detector,you will be able to recover about 1/2 what you paid...in fact if youre okay with used check ebay and craigslist-you never know...but an old hotel/resort location sounds like a fun spot to detect that might just get you some nice finds.Also hit little swimming holes,beach type places(im assuming you have lakes and stuff nearby) good luck! no advice as to what detector to buy though...

The problem is even if I can sell back my metal detector for 100$ (assuming I paid 200$) I'd need to find 100$ worth of stuff there... which is not sure...

Maybe I'll need to learn a bit more about how those metal detector works. It seems it's not that easy to find silver coins! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:51 pm

A ski resort? Its probably scattered like crazy but I bet there is more lost jewelry then silver coins...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Treetop wrote:A ski resort? Its probably scattered like crazy but I bet there is more lost jewelry then silver coins...

That's what I was thinking! I'd be all over that!
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:13 pm

That was a very small ski resort... one trail or two I think.. more of an hotel with some skiing... and a lake close to it.

I'd need to be able to rent the thing cause I won't need more than 2-3 days to cover the whole area.

Man, I just can't believe how difficult it is to find such metal detector to rent...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:32 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

I hate this thing!

Somebody cue the violins! Wah...wah...wah. Thogey can outmoan (is that even a word?) anyone on this site. And we all enjoy it so much. :lol:

If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:35 pm

Thogey wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

I hate this thing!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's hilarious. Speaking of violins, it looks like I am 2nd fiddle to Ray. You gotta go West to get him. If he stops posting then I'll know that you're coming for me. Don't forget that I've got a silent ninja of death on my side, and now I return this totally hijacked thread back to the scheduled programming.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:32 am

gettin copper wrote:metal detecting has a huge learning curve. Be ready to dig alot of junk, people spent months before finding one peice of silver. I've had both those machines you mention. You have to enjoy it has a hobby finding clad, pulltabs, and other junk or dont bother.

goodluck!

In 1985 I was living on the south coast of Australia, and bought a metal detector. I went to the beach and on my 1st sweep found an enamelled copper ring. All the rest of the day I found pull-tabs.

Later I went to the gold areas near Ballarat and found lots of lead bullets in the gold diggings areas. Later I learned that was a sign that the area had not been searched with detectors. Back in the day, black powder arms were unloaded by firing into a hill every night, to keep the damp from causing misfires of a two or three day old load. Dang, there was a good chance of finding gold nuggets there, if I had only stayed there camping a day or two.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:37 am

balz wrote:The problem is even if I can sell back my metal detector for 100$ (assuming I paid 200$) I'd need to find 100$ worth of stuff there... which is not sure...

Buy the metal detector not as an investment, but as a hobby. Hobbies will cost you money, so treat it as such.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:24 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
balz wrote:The problem is even if I can sell back my metal detector for 100$ (assuming I paid 200$) I'd need to find 100$ worth of stuff there... which is not sure...

Buy the metal detector not as an investment, but as a hobby. Hobbies will cost you money, so treat it as such.

Thanks. I think you may be right: not that much money to be made from this *hobby*.

Thanks to all
balz
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals