Invested in 100 grams of the good stuff today

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Invested in 100 grams of the good stuff today

Postby needler420 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Around the corner from my house someone has starting dumping trash in the woods scumbags.

Anyway I grabbed the cable wires today and extracted approximately 100 grams from about a 12 foot cable. So about 1/4 pound at 2 hours labor. I have more cables to do later. Due to how noob I am stripping wires it was very tedious and took me a long time but was easy and watched TV while doing it.

Image :D
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Invested in 100 grams of the good stuff today

Postby balz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 pm

What about a good old fire?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby myfundsarelow » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 am

let your coated wire in the sun for about 15 min, strip with a sharp box cutter blade just tie one end to a fence or chain link fence draw blade at angle pull tight this works fine with # 14 wire and up watch your fingers PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby schockergd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:15 am

$4lb * 1/4th pound / 2hrs= .50 cents a hour

I'm a bit unsure what I'd be willing to do for 50c a hour, but stripping copper wouldn't be on that list.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby needler420 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 am

schockergd wrote:$4lb * 1/4th pound / 2hrs= .50 cents a hour

I'm a bit unsure what I'd be willing to do for 50c a hour, but stripping copper wouldn't be on that list.

Well yeah I wouldn't make a 9to5 out of it. It also would have taken 1/4 the time if i knew how to use wire strippers good enough.

Also this was from one cable of course before bringing it to the scrap ill add more.

Of all the base metals copper is pretty profitable since its spike. Currently just 250 pounds of copper would net you over 1k at the scrapyard.

250 pounds could fill three five gallon buckets.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 am

needler420 wrote:
schockergd wrote:$4lb * 1/4th pound / 2hrs= .50 cents a hour

Well yeah I wouldn't make a 9to5 out of it. It also would have taken 1/4 the time if i knew how to use wire strippers good enough.

Also this was from one cable of course before bringing it to the scrap ill add more.

Of all the base metals copper is pretty profitable since its spike. Currently just 250 pounds of copper would net you over 1k at the scrapyard.

250 pounds could fill three five gallon buckets.

Scrap yards do not pay the full spot price for scrap copper. With spot at $4.00, I would expect to get $3.00 - $3.25 for #1 copper scrap, so you'd need more like 300 - 335 pounds to net $1000.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby schockergd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:54 pm

With a ryedale, I would generate the same amount of copper with no effort in a couple of minutes.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby needler420 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm

schockergd wrote:With a ryedale, I would generate the same amount of copper with no effort in a couple of minutes.

And stare at it waiting for the melt ban to lift. This is cash cash right now almost got a pound now and can strip wire really fast now.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm

That haul sounds good to me. I sat here watching TV most of the evening and I didn't get paid nuthin'!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 pm

needler420 wrote:
schockergd wrote:With a ryedale, I would generate the same amount of copper with no effort in a couple of minutes.

And stare at it waiting for the melt ban to lift. This is cash cash right now almost got a pound now and can strip wire really fast now.

Hey... any way that someone can earn money in this economy... my hat's off to you. AND you're recycling. Both commendable ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SteelCityCopper » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 pm

beauanderos wrote:
needler420 wrote:

Hey... any way that someone can earn money in this economy... my hat's off to you. AND you're recycling. Both commendable ;)

Agreed. Less trash = ok in my book. If you really wanted to get into this rather than relying on trash heaps in the woods, perhaps call around to local construction / mom and pop handyman businesses and ask them what they do with their stuff. They may get excited that someone will remove their garbage wire, cables, etc for free. Obviously I haven't thought through this completely as this isn't the copper we deal with, but just some food for thought. Good luck.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:26 pm

A few years ago (2006) I got to see real scrappers in action. The factory I worked at was going out of business. It was a huge building 100 years old and loaded with equipment that served a purposes applicable to nobody else. So at the auction the scrappers decended on it. These guy look like West Virginia mountain men, but they made some sweet loot. The could cut anything apart fast and knew right away where the stainless and copper were. I saw once old guy with moles and a 2 foot beard that had a skinny blond young wife. The next day I found out why, he had bought an old vapor degreaser for a couple grand and after him and his friend spent one day tearing it apart they had a semi full of high grade stainless. I later heard the guy was a millionaire. Tearing down the ruins of what used to be the greatest county in the world is a profitable business.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing