Adventures in pickup bank shopping.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Adventures in pickup bank shopping.

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Decided to use this morning to find new pickup banks. After three strikeouts with midsized local/regional banks I walked into a small credit union. Turns out that they roll their own coins from customer turn in and send the rest they get back to the Fed. When I asked about if I could buy the bags they have to send out if I opened an account I was told, "Oh sure, we'll just set them aside for you. Do you want to take any home today?"

It was a night and day difference from the banks that wanted to charge me .10-.25 PER ROLL for coin. Going back Monday to open an acc't. (Didn't have my SS card on me.) Also, I have something to keep me buy for the next hour or so.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Adventures in pickup bank shopping.

Postby tinhorn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:14 pm

That's good news! And a good lesson.

Some of the biggest jerks and some of my greatest tellers work for the same bank (different branches). Some of my most awesome tellers are at a bank where I don't even have an account! For those of us who live near tons of banks, it's easy to just do business with people who like us. I kinda feel sorry for those who live in small towns with few options.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Great story Ed. I think I'm slipping a little. I went to a CU today that I had never been in before.. I needed to pick up some fiat to pay for my half dollar order at another bank and this CU has a sharing arangement with my #2 CU (Not the one that pays me $75 every month to dump a few coins in their Coinstar) can't remember if I even asked if they had any coin. I am so used to the CU's I go to never having coin. I know I asked for coin at every bank I went to today, but now I can't remember if I asked at the CU. I will definately hit them up next week. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah - most of the CUs seem to be coin poor, but I've found one branch of one here (not mine) that (like you noted) has a sharing agreement with mine, and they are usually relatlvely flush with CWRs. I think when I started asking for them they had a backlog in their vault, they seemed to be happy to get rid of them and I was getting a hundred at a time for several weeks in a row with no problem, but I must've worked them down. However, I can still usually get $50 bucks there when I happen to be in their area.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 pm

My CU relies completely on customer deposits for coin. The only denomination they order are the Presidential dollars. So it's hit or miss...some days they're out, some days they want to sell me more than I can afford.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:44 pm

If they rely on customers for coin be a nice guy and supply them. Bring them whatever they want.. and swap for whatever they get in. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby JobIII » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:35 am

nice find. I second what hoard just said.

I hope you're CU doesn't have a RC member dumping zinc already.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Got 4 bags so far. 30% Cu. Not a lot of wheats, but that's not what I do this for. The vault teller said they usually have 3-5 bags per week and will be happy to let me get them all.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing