Dimes in CWRs

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dimes in CWRs

Postby merchoarder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 am

So we all find the occasional dime in customer wrapped rolls. I've never really understood how they got in there. My best bet is older people with poor vision? Anyway, I just found 11 dimes in one roll. What the heck? How does that happen? That's got to some kind of record. All clad of course but still rather strange.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Dimes in CWRs

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:38 am

Eleven dimes in one roll is a nice score. In the last $25 batch of CWRs I sorted there were two clad dimes. Neither of them was dirty or damaged in any way to make them look like anything but dimes. Probably someone was just not paying attention as they filled the wrappers. The count for the batch was even off (+10 coins in my favor). But what really had me puzzled were the two 10 piastres coins from Libya that were mixed in. These coins are the thickness of a dime and the diameter of a nickel. The were wedged into the penny wrappers and barely fit. How can someone mistake those for pennies?
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mflugher » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:14 am

Just to brag, I found a merc dime in a box of cwr the other day :D quite happy.

never found a regular dime or anything other than pennies/cdn/foreign equivelant of pennies but I've only searched about $75 so far.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverflake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 am

I have found about a dozen dimes in CWRs over the last 2 years. I got 10 rolls about 2 months ago and found 5 dimes in the rolls. Amazing. I attribute it to poor eye sight, I guess. Plus, young people (younger than my 42) these days have no respect for anything under the $1 paper currency. They drop pennies, throw nickels into the paper clip holders. What's up? I think they may stuff whatever they can into a roll if they need one or two more coins to fill it so they can 'cash it in' for bigger coins/paper money.
2 more cent from Silverflake
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 am

Dimes could also get in CWR's if the person rolling the coins used a cheap Wal-Mart coin sorter that automatically dumps into rolls. That is what I attribute many of my dimes in CWR to. I guess I still have too much faith in people to believe that they would put that many dimes in a penny roll without noticing.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:10 am

Last year Franklin got 49 in one CRW see http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=747&hilit=dimes&start=50#p7549 Also he has got nickels in the penny rolls and UK pennies and 2 Euro cents.
Joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 pm

mflugher wrote:Just to brag, I found a merc dime in a box of cwr the other day :D quite happy.

never found a regular dime or anything other than pennies/cdn/foreign equivelant of pennies but I've only searched about $75 so far.

Finding silver in a penny roll is quite a thrill :D I crossed that milestone in July with a 1951 roosie. It was black and crusted with something. I almost dropped it with the zincs, but the ring it gave when it hit the table made my ears perk up.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:03 am

I got 55 dimes in a penny wrapper one time. :mrgreen:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am

Was doing some banking this past friday. Couldn't resist, got $5.00 in pennies, all CWR's. Sure enough a dime in one (5 wheats too!). Amazing...
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing