What happens to PM prices when Greece fails?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What happens to PM prices when Greece fails?

Postby JJM » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 am

I've been watching & studying the PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain) debt crisis unfold in the EU for at least a year now, probably closer to two. I don't believe TPTB can paper over reality too much longer, so I don't think it will be too much longer before Greece defaults, and I believe there is a high likelihood that this event will create more havoc in the financial world than when Lehman failed a few years ago.

Assuming Greece defaults, what do you think this will do to the PM market, and why?

I think it will be a good buying opportunity, as I think metals will correct downward at least 25-33% in the aftermarth, before resuming their movement upward. I also think we are probably within 10%, maybe 20% at the most, of a top in the PM market for at least the next 12-18 months. If the other PIIGS countries follow suit, all bets are off. The fall in PM prices will likely be either greater or longer, or both.

Just my .02. Curious what the other folks in here think, TIA.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Re: What happens to PM prices when Greece fails?

Postby balz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I believe we will see mass investment of fiat currency on the markets to avoid too much of a fail. I believe there is a meeting at the Fed today; they will PRINT PRINT PRINT.

I think we might see some pullback, but I think it will not be as important as in 2008. Maybe 10%.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Greece will default but they will rename it to something else to not call it a "real" default, and they will attempt to isolate it, and pretend it didn't really happen, or that it wasn't bad. They are already pumping out all sorts of "reassuring" words to the effect that Europe is fully capable of covering this on their own without external help, blah, blah. Unless something unexpected happens with Greece, I think they are working feverishly to let Greece down to the ground slowly. But it will punish the Euro banks, and further weaken them. I think they've kicked the can down the road one more week or month.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 pm

It could be Greece, or something else that causes the final rollover. You can bet TPTB are going to extend & pretend for as long as they possibly can. However, when the jig is up and folks finally realize what is happening, world stock markets will start crashing. The margin calls will have a domino effect and exacerbate the selling of every paper instrument out there. Banks will freeze accounts to prevent bank runs. The digital fiatscos held in brokerage accounts, 401k and IRA accounts will disappear like a fart in the wind. Paper gold and silver will get hit too (ie. 2008), but that will only cause a massive run on physical.

One can only imagine what will happen after that. IMO, 2008 was nothing compared to what is about to happen. Only smart/savvy people will be able to survive the coming economic catastrophe. Unfortunutely, many will perish.

It can't hurt to have a stockpile of water, food, guns, ammo, clothing and other necessities on hand. If a SHTF scenario doesn't happen, you've lost nothing... but if you're not prepared and the S does HTF, you will lose everything. So, if you haven't done it already, get all your ducks in a row right NOW while you still have time.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

I know I am stepping outside of PMs but I think CHF, the Currency of the Swiss which is currently Peg to the Euro could see a High Upshot (IF the euro fails), or whenever the Swiss unpeg thier currency, Whenever everyone else is sinking, I am sure the swiss will unpeg to save themselves.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Delawhere Jack » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 pm

ardorlan wrote:I know I am stepping outside of PMs but I think CHF, the Currency of the Swiss which is currently Peg to the Euro could see a High Upshot (IF the euro fails), or whenever the Swiss unpeg thier currency, Whenever everyone else is sinking, I am sure the swiss will unpeg to save themselves.

Rumor only at this point, the Swiss plan to change the Franc peg from 1.20 to 1.25 / Euro? (devaluing the Franc).

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/swiss-franc-plunges-rumor-eurchf-peg-be-widened-125
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:30 pm

ardorlan wrote:I know I am stepping outside of PMs but I think CHF, the Currency of the Swiss which is currently Peg to the Euro could see a High Upshot (IF the euro fails), or whenever the Swiss unpeg thier currency, Whenever everyone else is sinking, I am sure the swiss will unpeg to save themselves.

Every fiat currency in the world has failed, or is destined to fail. The swiss franc is not immune.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby slvrbck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 pm

I believe Greece is currently in the process of default right now.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:23 am

Yes, I know RT videos on YouTube are intended to make Russia look better than the rest of the world. However, this one is pretty straight-shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy3ICLYM3DY&feature=player_embedded

"Gold isn't rising...fiat currencies are falling."
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 am

Make no bones about it, Greece is defaulting. TPTB are easing us into it slowly but easily so that we don't view it as an overnight slap to the face. I am sure when it happens they will name it something pretty like the GREEK OLYMPIC DEBT MISJUDGEMENT instead of calling it the failure that it is. Don't forget, the Greek populace was clamoring for British Gold Sovereigns over the past year or so.

Anybody want to buy a Greek 2 year bond? Good yield - about 72%.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 am

silverflake wrote:Make no bones about it, Greece is defaulting. TPTB are easing us into it slowly but easily so that we don't view it as an overnight slap to the face. I am sure when it happens they will name it something pretty like the GREEK OLYMPIC DEBT MISJUDGEMENT instead of calling it the failure that it is. Don't forget, the Greek populace was clamoring for British Gold Sovereigns over the past year or so.

Anybody want to buy a Greek 2 year bond? Good yield - about 72%.

Great yield, but the default probability is 99%+ so buy some CDS and sleep at night. :lol: As for me and my house...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:30 am

I think the margin call induced plummet in PM prices over the past 2 days are a prelude of what will happen when the lamestream media and the politicians running the puppet show finally acknowledge that Greece has failed. They continue to paper it over. They continue to electron it over. I wish I shared some of the optimism (re: metal prices) some of you guys have, but when Europe tips over cash will be king once again (for a while...).
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:39 am

JJM wrote:I think the margin call induced plummet in PM prices over the past 2 days are a prelude of what will happen when the lamestream media and the politicians running the puppet show finally acknowledge that Greece has failed. They continue to paper it over. They continue to electron it over. I wish I shared some of the optimism (re: metal prices) some of you guys have, but when Europe tips over cash will be king once again (for a while...).

without a doubt, we'll probably get that news about Greece this weekend...so just think of the craziest possible silver price on the downside........$27.......$19........$9...hey dont laugh, you could see $19 next week this time....and we'll be sad when we shouldnt be, ITS A GIFT.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 am

Right on ... I'd LOVE to see $9 silver!!!
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:59 am

tractorman wrote:Right on ... I'd LOVE to see $9 silver!!!

oh yeh, but guys been loading up in the 30's and 40's....but split milk, just fed that cow some more hay, and get more milk...dare i say it, but $400 ASE rolls? the first down i zero'ed in on 90's, now, IF we get crazy to the down, its ASE time.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:13 am

I don't believe Greece will be "allowed" to fail this weekend. I might be wrong, but I'd be more comfortable if they kicked the can down the road a bit longer...lol But it will certainly be a weekend type event, most likely a three day weekend event. If I were to guess, I'd say on or around Thanksgiving. The U.S. markets are closed that Thursday, Friday is pretty much a no-show day, and then there are two more days. The average sheep is away and unaware, even moreso than normal, that weekend. After all, there's BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING to do....lol
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby hejira11 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm

I don't pretend to know the machinations of the global economy. I am sticking with long term fundamentals of Silver. I don't intend to teach them here, but if you are curious just google Silver.

My opinion is simple. Continuing to lower the price of a finite resource that is purposely undervalued to begin with means a buying opportunity for someone with time on their side. I believe that when everything gets disinfeced by sunlight we will see a rise in SIlver prices that will be talked about for generations.

If, in the meantime it goes to 9 the ounce. I'll be dollar cost averaging my buys all the way there.

The fundamentals impress me that much.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby JJM » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:44 pm

I can some up the PM market this weekend in three words.

BUY BUY BUY

After Greece has a fork stuck in her because she's done, there will be an even greater buying opportunity however.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby JJM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am

Is this week the end of the line for the EU kicking the can down the road regarding Greece? Or will some other country get to wear the albatross around their neck for a while....?
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby JJM » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Maybe it will be the week of Christmas instead.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/greek-bankruptcy-imminent

It will be interesting to see what happens to PM's when this happens. As tempting as it is to buy today, I have yet to pull the trigger...
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:51 am

If Greece fails, gold and silver will fall because it will be used as currency. More gold and silver entering the market will cause a drop in price.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:51 am

If Greece fails, gold and silver will fall because it will be used as currency. More gold and silver entering the market will cause a drop in price.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals