Is this strategy overboard?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is this strategy overboard?

Postby Bartender » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey all,

So here's my routine that I've been doing for a few years now and I'm curious what you think. Simply put, I take all my zincs and other loose change and dump it across the state line into a bank in a different fed reserve district. My logic has me believing that it gets farther away than it would if I just dumped at a different branch across town, becomes less likely to end up at my pickup branches, and all-in-all doesn't dilute (but hopefully concentrates) the copper pool in my city. I'm sure this is all just wishful thinking, but it doesn't take any extra effort on my part other than about 30 more minutes of driving. So, what are your thoughts? Comments? Jeers? Insults? :P
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Is this strategy overboard?

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Yep I think so, however it may work like the way you want it to, Is fuel cheap in your neck of the woods? I would just check and make sure your p/u bank is serviced by a different armoured service than your dump bank.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby eboyfudd » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:29 pm

I concur - overboard at this point. I really doubt that extra 30 minutes and $ for gasoline buys you any meaningful benefit in your copper percentages.
eboyfudd
Penny Sorter Member

Postby myfundsarelow » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 pm

some one on the other end may be doing the same thing so just take a chance and keep searching PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:43 pm

not a significant enough percentage increase to justify the wear and tear on the car.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby goldteam » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:58 am

I have four Wells Fargo banks in my city. I dump at one and pick them up at the other three. I have been doing this for two years and have never, ever gotten any pennies that have been sorted. I don't believe they really stay in the city.
goldteam

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 am

Mark about 1000 pennies with a distinct mark (color, location on the penny, shape) and then dump in your state. If you don't see them in your pickups then you have been wasting your time and gas. Do the same for your out of state bank with a different mark.

Don't mark any good looking pennies.

I did several years ago and marked with a green T on the obverse, and the next week I received several of them back. I found out that my pickup bank and dump bank both used Brinks.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 am

If it is at the very edge of the district it might actually get funneled back into the district you live in. It all depends on where the fed depots are...
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing