22 Sep 2011

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: 22 Sep 2011

Postby tractorman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:21 pm

If this dip makes it to the weekend, I'm guessing eBay prices shift downward. We shall see.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 pm

I hope you are right. I don't have the kind of liquidity to buy new bullion right now.

I'd like to see silver dimes and quarters getting lower priced.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby aristobolus » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:20 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:I love how on days like this, the major news websites always have a picture of a sad trader, staring at the computer, with his head in his hands

oh and this day aint even half over....forget the firewood, i'm parked up in the eagles nest, watching the fun, cooking hot dogs, and getting abundantly enbriated. i'll do it tommorow. meanwhile i got a show to watch.

Neil,

Congrats on your 666th post! The End is Near! :o
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Balz, What about AMPEX, Gainsville or some other bullion dealer? Just curious why you're only mentioning Ebay.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Dow is playing between -475 and -500 at the moment... ouch gold down $76+, silver down close to $5! Boom!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Henchman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Time to buy some ASE rolls for me. Anyone know the lowest website for shipping and premiums. I checked out APMEX they seem high. Gainsville someone mentioned seems pretty fair with $25 shipping and lower then APMEX premiums.

Any other choices to consider?

Thanks,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:03 pm

After watching the markets all day, I bought some more shiny metal today... 100 ASEs and 4 $20 Gold Liberties at the close from AMPEX. May buy more if we go down again tomorrow.

Henchman, just an FYI ... don't know how many you are buying, but I compared Gainsville to APMEX buying 100/oz at a time... APMEX wins. Being a platinum member also gets me $10 shipping regardless of the package weight.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Balz, What about AMPEX, Gainsville or some other bullion dealer? Just curious why you're only mentioning Ebay.

I don't have such money on hand. With Ebay I can pay with credit card... In Canada I only know Kitco but - correct me if I am wrong - they don't take credit card.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 pm

balz wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Balz, What about AMPEX, Gainsville or some other bullion dealer? Just curious why you're only mentioning Ebay.

I don't have such money on hand. With Ebay I can pay with credit card... In Canada I only know Kitco but - correct me if I am wrong - they don't take credit card.

I know AMPEX and Gainsville take credit cards, but they charge a little bit higher premiums when you use one. I'm pretty sure they both ship to Canada.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Do I have to pay duty fees when buying in the US?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Despite the hubbub, it wasn't a complete carnage scene today. We're back to the August low, which might shake a few people up. If Asia and Europe have a big reaction tonight and in the morning, this could continue down. If not, we have another respite.

I used the day to cost-average both paper gold and paper silver today; moved my averages down.

I don't think gold and silver are dropping much more from here. But, if I'm wrong, I've just spent most of my bullets, so would have to sell something else to grab more at a lower price.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:40 pm

balz wrote:Do I have to pay duty fees when buying in the US?

Hmmm... sorry didn't think about that. You may want to call AMPEX and Gainsville and ask them about it.

Can you buy directly from the RCM? Sorry, I'm an ignorant American. :?
Last edited by Cu Penny Hoarder on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:43 pm

If you don't mind the wait, North West Territorial Mint has nice freshly minted bars.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby gettin copper » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Henchman wrote:Time to buy some ASE rolls for me. Anyone know the lowest website for shipping and premiums. I checked out APMEX they seem high. Gainsville someone mentioned seems pretty fair with $25 shipping and lower then APMEX premiums.

Thanks,
Henchman

Ever shop round at local coin shops? I just called my favorite one, and he has 2 rolls of ase's for me. Price is spot +10%, no tax. I never bought online, but this seems like a fair deal from a retail environment. I have an appointment with him at 6 tonight, hoping to be out the door for under $40 a peice. Goodluck
Last edited by gettin copper on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 pm

gettin copper wrote:
Henchman wrote:Time to buy some ASE rolls for me. Anyone know the lowest website for shipping and premiums. I checked out APMEX they seem high. Gainsville someone mentioned seems pretty fair with $25 shipping and lower then APMEX premiums.

Thanks,
Henchman

Ever shop round at local coin shops? I just called my favorite one, and he has 2 rolls of ase's for me. Price is spot +10%, no tax. I never bought online, but this is a good deal for me from a retail shop. I have an appointment with him at 6 tonight, hoping to be out the door for under $40 a peice. Goodluck

Jump on it...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
balz wrote:Do I have to pay duty fees when buying in the US?

Hmmm... sorry didn't think about that. You may want to call AMPEX and Gainsville and ask them about it.

Can you buy directly from the RCM? Sorry, I'm an ignorant American. :?

I'll ask them... Cause paying duties would kill the deal..
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 pm

Early this afternoon I paid a visit to the best coin shop in my area....added to my gold, .999 and 90% piles. I've done business with the owner of the shop for over 25 years and it's the first time I heard the "oh [shucks]" words in the conversation we had. He said if spot prices continue downward, his spreads will change. That's if there will be any inventory to buy but what struck me as odd is that lately the shop is packed no matter what time it is. Elbow to elbow at the counters.

Today, I had the counters all to myself the whole time. Now that might change when people get off work, but I had to ask about certain types of coins and bullion that are normally displayed. Only after asking were they then brought out.

I've seen times going back to 1980 when the spread changed dramatically or inventory either disappeared from the shelves. If spot continues to drop, this could be one of those times. Depending on the area you live in, waiting for spot to drop might not be a good idea.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:44 pm

If you want to buy yourself or quickly organize a group buy, you can go to tulving.com and pick up a monster box with free shipping for 2$ over spot over 2.79 on eagles over spot. I think thats your best deal you will get on silver for this drop
TXBullion

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:12 pm

TXBullion wrote:If you want to buy yourself or quickly organize a group buy, you can go to tulving.com and pick up a monster box with free shipping for 2$ over spot over 2.79 on eagles over spot. I think thats your best deal you will get on silver for this drop

Great info, but it begs the question... how many people reading this forum have $20,000 to spend on a monster box?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I come home from work to find that my silver stash is a little bit lighter in the value department, and I don't want to talk about my 401k. :o I see that the dollar is stronger and crude is down. I was reading the Market Watch Report say that due to a lower risk inflation, there has been a increase in the margins for held stocks. So the sell off in metals was to raise the cash for that purpose. Didn't we go through this when silver was going to break the $50 ceiling? Here is the link if anybody is interested.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/20 ... n-selloff/
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
TXBullion wrote:If you want to buy yourself or quickly organize a group buy, you can go to tulving.com and pick up a monster box with free shipping for 2$ over spot over 2.79 on eagles over spot. I think thats your best deal you will get on silver for this drop

Great info, but it begs the question... how many people reading this forum have $20,000 to spend on a monster box?

I am in for 1/10th a monster box if that helps
TXBullion

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 pm

68Camaro wrote:Be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Despite the hubbub, it wasn't a complete carnage scene today. We're back to the August low, which might shake a few people up. If Asia and Europe have a big reaction tonight and in the morning, this could continue down. If not, we have another respite.

I used the day to cost-average both paper gold and paper silver today; moved my averages down.

I don't think gold and silver are dropping much more from here. But, if I'm wrong, I've just spent most of my bullets, so would have to sell something else to grab more at a lower price.

your right R, i passed out around noon. woke up at 4, fully expecting to see the print of Dow down 1100, when i saw the final prints, i was somewhat relieved. its gonna crater, but not today...not today my brother. fondly, neil

@Aristobolous.......666 posts...cazart!!!...of that time i do not know, but i am reading one FINE commentary on Jeremiah, i'm in Jeremiah DEEP, as well as Isaiah, Ezekiel and the Twelve...mighty stuff, food for the soul.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

i dont own any silver, i just like to talk about it.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

i dont have any money to buy silver, and i dont own silver, i lust like to talk about it.....its fun to talk about silver, but owning or buying it...how do you do that?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't understand your posts Neil. Are being serious, or are you directing sarcasm at someone?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals