Girlfriend

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Girlfriend

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

hey Deal sounds like a great match...what are you waiting for? Are you scared it may change when you put a ring on her finger?....My wife tolerates me and my mess...her involvement is only to pickup the pennies that bounce onto the floor. However last year for the GTG in Denver she bought my ticket to Denver.... :D
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:54 am

Wow, it sounds like a lot of you guys don't really like you wives. I'm sure there is plenty of tongue-in-cheek sprinkled throughout the comments, but I hope that most/all of you are actually happy. Life is too short to be hanging out with somebody you hate! As many of you know, I am getting married for the second time this upcoming February. Despite the failure of my first marriage, I am still optimistic :)
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby adagirl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 am

Boy ain't that the truth in my household too. She thinks I'm a bit on the crazy side with all the PM's and base metals. If I croak it would be another hoard being dumped at a bank for one of you all to discover. Some women just don't get it, despite providing education. But they sure do understand their "need" for 500 pairs of shoes....now that's a tangible asset sure to rapidly decline in value. If it is impractical, a woman wants or I should say "needs" it. The mans practical, logical approach is seen as a mess around the house. If your single, stay single. Keep a girlfriend, but stay single.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 pm

The only problem I have had with my wife of 24 years, is she is getting into it more and more! At first I could hand sort a box or 2 of pennies during the day, then in the evening she and I would roll em up. Then our daughter and her boyfriend asked what we were doing, and so they started coming over to help. So much for the Ryedale, don't need one. Just need to find more pennies, which is fun with only 3 banks in town, but we have standing orders with 2 of them now. Since we started we will have gone through 19 boxes and have 100 pounds of weighed 83's and down(in 10 pound bags). Probably $5 fv in wheats, and several "stamped" novelty pennies, a couple double stamps I believe, and my wife found a Indian head the other day, she was shaking she was so exited.

So no, it's not a problem here, just before my mom died last Thu. she was still tottering around her house dragging her oxygen hose trying to find all her old poker stashes for us!
Our house is usually full of hot rod parts (new, not old nasty stuff, that stays in the shop) so I think everyone here is just glad that, 1, this takes up so much less space, and 2,(this is a biggie) when I "spend" money on pennies, I get about 80% right back, only having to make up a little difference, which I have never been able to figure out how to do with hot rod parts. In fact as an example, We have a 64 Buick Wildcat, $2700 into it (and it was given to me) and just grenaded the motor. Its now worth maybe $500. Pennies just don't blow up and become worthless like so many of my cars over the years!

BTW I Still have 3 hot rods, I just am spending more time with the pennies, and I'm sure that will increase over the winter months which there are about 8 of here lol. :shock:

Sammy
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 pm

CoolRide wrote:The only problem I have had with my wife of 24 years, is she is getting into it more and more! At first I could hand sort a box or 2 of pennies during the day, then in the evening she and I would roll em up. Then our daughter and her boyfriend asked what we were doing, and so they started coming over to help. So much for the Ryedale, don't need one. Just need to find more pennies, which is fun with only 3 banks in town, but we have standing orders with 2 of them now. Since we started we will have gone through 19 boxes and have 100 pounds of weighed 83's and down(in 10 pound bags). Probably $5 fv in wheats, and several "stamped" novelty pennies, a couple double stamps I believe, and my wife found a Indian head the other day, she was shaking she was so exited.

So no, it's not a problem here, just before my mom died last Thu. she was still tottering around her house dragging her oxygen hose trying to find all her old poker stashes for us!
Our house is usually full of hot rod parts (new, not old nasty stuff, that stays in the shop) so I think everyone here is just glad that, 1, this takes up so much less space, and 2,(this is a biggie) when I "spend" money on pennies, I get about 80% right back, only having to make up a little difference, which I have never been able to figure out how to do with hot rod parts. In fact as an example, We have a 64 Buick Wildcat, $2700 into it (and it was given to me) and just grenaded the motor. Its now worth maybe $500. Pennies just don't blow up and become worthless like so many of my cars over the years!

BTW I Still have 3 hot rods, I just am spending more time with the pennies, and I'm sure that will increase over the winter months which there are about 8 of here lol. :shock:

Sammy

I hope the "weighed 83's" was a typo. It's 82 and down.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:27 pm

CoolRide wrote:Pennies just don't blow up and become worthless like so many of my cars over the years!

Y'know what they say--If it's got tires or titties, it's gonna give ya trouble. They also say that guys and marriage are like flies at a window. The ones inside want out, and the ones outside want in!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:12 pm

tinhorn wrote:
CoolRide wrote:Pennies just don't blow up and become worthless like so many of my cars over the years!

Y'know what they say--If it's got tires or titties, it's gonna give ya trouble. They also say that guys and marriage are like flies at a window. The ones inside want out, and the ones outside want in!

:lol:
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:45 pm

My wife gets it. She keeps telling me we need to buy more silver and I've had to explain that I'm just trying to be patient by buying only when the price dips down. It's a great problem to have -- your wife nagging you that you're not buying enough silver! :lol:

As for pennies, she was a little more skeptical..especially after I spent $500 to buy a Ryedale! However, she changed her mind when I showed her that I could sell $100 FV of coppers for $180 on eBay. However, talking her through how to package and ship 68 lbs of coppers in a medium flat rate box over the phone was another experience altogether. But in the end, I believe it strengthened our relationship :D

I mean hey...whatever you gotta tell yourself, right?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Derek.Sheriff wrote:My wife gets it. She keeps telling me we need to buy more silver and I've had to explain that I'm just trying to be patient by buying only when the price dips down. It's a great problem to have -- your wife nagging you that you're not buying enough silver! :lol:

As for pennies, she was a little more skeptical..especially after I spent $500 to buy a Ryedale! However, she changed her mind when I showed her that I could sell $100 FV of coppers for $180 on eBay. However, talking her through how to package and ship 68 lbs of coppers in a medium flat rate box over the phone was another experience altogether. But in the end, I believe it strengthened our relationship :D

My fiance and my future mother-in-law once hauled 240 lbs of nickels over the border, packaged and shipped them from a US post office for me :D
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:08 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:RED FLAG!! Sound general quarters!! AaaOOOgah! AaaOOOgah! AaaOOOgah!!

Can you spell PALIMONY?? P A L I M O N Y. Slang for the legal equivalent of ALIMONY, only it is for non-married live-together couples who COMMINGLED their assets and now are splitting up and need a judge to sort it out. Do you want her to claim HALF of all your coin assets??! She may be able to IF she can prove her money went into the kitty to buy them.

I think where I live you don't even need to co-mingle assets, pretty much live together for
6 months or more and it's effectively treated as the legal equivalent of being married with
all the associated blurring and destroying of property rights.

By remaining single with no "cohabitation" encumberances I'm as rare as a "free man of
color" in the US south during the pre civil war period. But it's like inflation, only one in
a million really understand it.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 am

My gf is like i sorted the copper pennies out of my purse and put them in a bag. That way i know which ones are good and bad
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:43 am

Derek.Sheriff wrote:My wife gets it. She keeps telling me we need to buy more silver and I've had to explain that I'm just trying to be patient by buying only when the price dips down. It's a great problem to have -- your wife nagging you that you're not buying enough silver! :lol:

You are a fortunate one! You lucky man!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:58 am

fansubs_ca wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:RED FLAG!! Sound general quarters!! AaaOOOgah! AaaOOOgah! AaaOOOgah!!

Can you spell PALIMONY?? P A L I M O N Y. Slang for the legal equivalent of ALIMONY, only it is for non-married live-together couples who COMMINGLED their assets and now are splitting up and need a judge to sort it out. Do you want her to claim HALF of all your coin assets??! She may be able to IF she can prove her money went into the kitty to buy them.

I think where I live you don't even need to co-mingle assets, pretty much live together for
6 months or more and it's effectively treated as the legal equivalent of being married with
all the associated blurring and destroying of property rights.

By remaining single with no "cohabitation" encumberances I'm as rare as a "free man of
color" in the US south during the pre civil war period. But it's like inflation, only one in
a million really understand it.

In my state, sign anything as "Mr. & Mrs." and you are encumbered right there on the spot. Commingle assets and you are mired neck deep. The moral decline has gotten really sad for all the kids who grow up not knowing a real father figure. My daughter is a school teacher and it is mind numbing how many "aka's" some of the children have from all the short "marriages" their mothers go through. No wonder STD's now spread like wildfire. :o

Back when I was young "what's your sign" was a popular conversation piece. Today, men my age tell me all the women want to talk about is "what's your retirement plan?"

fansubs_ca, you are a wise man to stay free of all that. Protect your wealth.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:14 am

My wife of 32 years this month always says why do you spend all that money on coins, when I bring home boxes of halves, dimes, nickels or pennies. I always say, we have the sane amount of money we did earlier today, only this is worth more. My wife is somewhat accepting of my hobby.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:41 am

I convinced my girlfriend to cash out her 401k and buy silver at $18 an oz. Suffice to say she is very supportive.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:09 am

blackrabbit wrote:I convinced my girlfriend to cash out her 401k and buy silver at $18 an oz. Suffice to say she is very supportive.

Nice move!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 am

balz wrote:Anyone here has trouble with their gf trying to explain what you're doing buying silver, stacking pennies, buying gold, etc.?

Get rid of her and go find yourself an intelligent woman.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
balz wrote:Anyone here has trouble with their gf trying to explain what you're doing buying silver, stacking pennies, buying gold, etc.?

Get rid of her and go find yourself an intelligent woman.

This is not a very nice advice.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:00 pm

No it's not nice, but if you explained things to her thoroughly and she still cannot understand it, she is probably not very smart, or maybe she's just selfish, or both. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but be honest with yourself and think about it.

One more thing... Why do you need her permission to spend your money?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:One more thing... Why do you need her permission to spend your money?

I know balz isn't married but he may as well be and you must not be either Cu Penny Hoarder. Don't you know that is the way it is when you are married? You always have to ask permission. You know what is hers is hers and what is yours is hers.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tractorman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:01 pm

balz wrote:... I have the chance to buy a 2,400$ worth collection for 2,000$ and need some of her money... and it's like I was asking her to go to the moon with me... Totally clueless...

Plus, he's trying to spend HER money!! :D
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 pm

I cull a small percentage (small) and let her have it. Makes her happy, keeps her outa my stuff. I'm lucky she has no idea what I really have. Otherwise the safety deposit boxes would be raided...
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:21 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:One more thing... Why do you need her permission to spend your money?

I know balz isn't married but he may as well be and you must not be either Cu Penny Hoarder. Don't you know that is the way it is when you are married? You always have to ask permission. You know what is hers is hers and what is yours is hers.

Yep, you nailed it ND, I'm not married and never will be. I cannot imagine being a full grown adult having to ask someone permission on how, what, why and when to do something. Many folks are so entrenched in tradition and society: "it must be the thing to do (marriage) because everyone else is doing it"... I say BS. All you need to do is observe people. Observation is one of the most powerful tools in life. When observing you learn by watching others. There are no costly errors or negative financial ramifications to be paid. Observe your married family and friends, be honest and ask yourself, are they truly happy? More often than not the answer is NO. Then we have this little dirty word called "divorce". The divorce rate is more than 50% in the Western world and wifey usually takes 50% of everything you've got. Oh, you have kids?... count on it being more than 50%. Who invented these divorce laws anyway, the devil? I'm not saying that women are bad, it's just that people eventually get sick of one another... it's human nature.

I realize there are some married guys that like it and are truly happy... if that is you, fantastic. Good luck to you.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:30 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
CoolRide wrote:The only problem I have had with my wife of 24 years, is she is getting into it more and more! At first I could hand sort a box or 2 of pennies during the day, then in the evening she and I would roll em up. Then our daughter and her boyfriend asked what we were doing, and so they started coming over to help. So much for the Ryedale, don't need one. Just need to find more pennies, which is fun with only 3 banks in town, but we have standing orders with 2 of them now. Since we started we will have gone through 19 boxes and have 100 pounds of weighed 83's and down(in 10 pound bags). Probably $5 fv in wheats, and several "stamped" novelty pennies, a couple double stamps I believe, and my wife found a Indian head the other day, she was shaking she was so exited.

Sammy

I hope the "weighed 83's" was a typo. It's 82 and down.

Yes and no. I weigh all our '83's hoping for a copper. So we sort for '83 on down. We just (so far) have tossed all of em back in with all the other zinks.(The '83's)
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Saabman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:12 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I convinced my girlfriend to cash out her 401k and buy silver at $18 an oz. Suffice to say she is very supportive.

I'm with balz......nice move!!!!! WTG!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing