New pickup today! Also, separate any coppers?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

New pickup today! Also, separate any coppers?

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:39 pm

No not a Chevy (I need to remember which forum I'm in :shock: )

When we picked up our first 12 ($25) boxes last week, we put in an order for another 6 to be here today. We could have ordered up to 12 but my mom was real sick at the time and we just weren't sorting as much.

Also we have another 8 boxes should be in today from another bank, first order with them.

It's funny, that last few nights I keep wanting to set up the card table, loupe, little halogen lamp, digital scales, hahahah but we just have had to wait.

We have sorted 20 boxes + maybe 50 odd cwr. Have to date 100# pre 83 (I weigh all 83-82's) or should say did. I think with the chance of coming up with an '83 copper is not worth the time it takes me to weigh them, two coins at a time.

Hand sorting is fun, and with 4 of us can go pretty fast. But the rolling has sucked. We now have one bank that will take $50fv bags, so we are looking for a good counter. Have a few jetsort and scan coin 303 on watch list now. Anybody here selling?

My other question, when I have down time (like the last several days with no new coins) I was tempted to go through all of our wheats, and even start rifiling through some of our #10 bags (thats how we store our coppers for now, in 1 gal zips. The 10# bags have everything in them except wheats, and obvious things like planchettes, clips etc.

Another words our coppers are just 59 to 82 10# bags.
And I was wondering if there was anything special we should picking out for more money than we might get just for the copper weight?

I should say we have saved all of our 2009's simply because we get about as many as those as wheats! I can't seem to find out on google that they are collectible, but we have been keeping them because we find so very few, something must be up with em, but it could be a waste of time.

Already we got a book to put pennies in because we were finding so many (like 10) beautiful wheats that looked like new! And there all kinds of 60's and 70's that look new, but we have looked up and tried to remember which dates and such to look for, but I just can't seem to remember what they all are. Even printed out a sheet, but there again the problem is, some price guides say such and such penny is worth 5 cents, while another guide says it's worth $3.50!

So first thing I need to know is what do any of you do? I cannot spend the coin (pun intended) to our get pretties NGC or PCGS graded, and I DO NOT want to sell a handful of coins worth $5 alone or even $2, in my 10# copper bags for the craigslist customers.

Even if there is a very common date(s) that YOU guys look for because they are worth way more for their coin value. I don't mind selling copper all day long a 2x, but I don't want to hand over easy money, as you know, this is VERY time consuming hobby.

Thanks for all your help! Happy sorting!

EDIT to add, we have not sold ANYthing yet. We still have everything we have sorted (of course with the exception of the zinks) So what we have is not gone. We were waiting to get 100 pounds in 10 pound bags before we started advertising. That is why I am asking now, as we are there. Also I do look for '98 99 2000 wide AM's however I have either never found one, or I still don't know what I'm looking at! :D

Sammy
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Re: New pickup today! Also, separate any coppers?

Postby tinhorn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:01 pm

When I was handsorting I found a couple CUD pennies. (It's from a chipped die.) I had no idea how to value them but I put 'em on Ebay starting at $.99 and let the collectors determine their worth. One sold for a little over $20, the other just over $10.

Barrytrot posted a list of Linclons to look for here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5109
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hags » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 pm

And there all kinds of 60's and 70's that look new...

Those sell for a premium...but they have to be spotless...really spotless...if you try to "slide" a few borderline coins in to increase the numbers they'll stop buying from you....

I sell them in batches of 1000 and get 3.5x for the truly BU copper cents.... not a huge profit, but you're sorting them anyway, and the truly spotless coins stand out pretty obviously.

You could also sell BU sets from 59 to 82...a lot more time consuming to sort by date and find enough of the harder dates to complete your sets....

Here's my last batch of BU memorials.....

hags

hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mongo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Im new to this forum, Whats BU ?
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Butt Ugly.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:56 pm

HAHAHAHA BU is * I believe* Brilliant uncirculated.

Thanks for the pointers! This is exactly what I'm hoping for.
I don't look at this as collecting scrap copper, (theres nothing in the world wrong with that) I just like to think of ourselves as extreme coin collectors hahahaha.

Sammy

EDIT to say (this happens ALL the time on this site, I get a four page post ready and hit the backspace to fix something and lose the whole post) I WAS trying to type, what do you think about saving the (gasp) zinc 1982's? I hand sort and weigh every one, but usually toss the coppers into the copper bag, and zincs go back to the bank.
Thinking 20 years down the road, Won't there be some people (coin collectors) wanting the fairly rare ZINC 1982 pennies? As most of them are copper.

Also I just started saving 1959s today too. Always toss em into the copper bag, but I think I will save the nice ones and roll em and see if we can get a little more than fv on ebay.

Thanks again. If I lose this post you all will be able to HEAR my next post :twisted:
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 pm

CoolRide wrote:HAHAHAHA BU is * I believe* Brilliant uncirculated.

I don't look at this as collecting scrap copper, (theres nothing in the world wrong with that) I just like to think of ourselves as extreme coin collectors hahahaha.

Sammy

EDIT to say (this happens ALL the time on this site, I get a four page post ready and hit the backspace to fix something and lose the whole post) I WAS trying to type, what do you think about saving the (gasp) zinc 1982's? I hand sort and weigh every one, but usually toss the coppers into the copper bag, and zincs go back to the bank.
Thinking 20 years down the road, Won't there be some people (coin collectors) wanting the fairly rare ZINC 1982 pennies? As most of them are copper.

Also I just started saving 1959s today too. Always toss em into the copper bag, but I think I will save the nice ones and roll em and see if we can get a little more than fv on ebay.

Thanks again. If I lose this post you all will be able to HEAR my next post :twisted:

There were 16,725,504,368 pennies made in 1982. I don't think they will ever be "rare"
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CoolRide » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Mercuryman wrote:
CoolRide wrote:HAHAHAHA BU is * I believe* Brilliant uncirculated.

Sammy

There were 16,725,504,368 pennies made in 1982. I don't think they will ever be "rare"

How many of those are zinc?
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CoolRide » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 am

Well, we sorted a little over 3 boxes tonight. Avg copper avg wheats.
Did find a well worn 1910, thats the oldest Lincoln so far.
Also started pulling all the "s" mint marks. Don't know why other than theres not very many of them so I thought they might sell for a bit of a premium.

Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:13 am

CoolRide wrote:Well, we sorted a little over 3 boxes tonight. Avg copper avg wheats.
Also started pulling all the "s" mint marks. Don't know why other than theres not very many of them so I thought they might sell for a bit of a premium.

Sammy

My son Franklin has been pulling a the S mint out of the stash and is only finding about $5.00 of 1968-1974 s mints per $500 FV copper cents only see -- http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8589 After looking $500 has got one roll each of 1968 and 1974 so looks to us that is the hardest to find. On the other years he is finding 3x more than the 1968-1974.
Joe
Franklin's Dad
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 am

henrysmedford wrote:
CoolRide wrote:Well, we sorted a little over 3 boxes tonight. Avg copper avg wheats.

Sammy

My son Franklin has been pulling a the S mint out of the stash and is only finding about $5.00 of 1968-1974 s mints per $500 FV copper cents only see -- http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8589 After looking $500 has got one roll each of 1968 and 1974 so looks to us that is the hardest to find. On the other years he is finding 3x more than the 1968-1974.
Joe
Franklin's Dad

We found probably 50 "s" mints last night in our 3+ boxes. All were from about 68 to 73 or 74, nothing later. I did some searching late last night and it looks like he later it gets into the 70's and 80's they are even more rare. As far as what I could tell.

I need to go back over all the 100 pounds we have stashed and pull all the really nice looking 60's and 70's, all the "s" mints, and all the 59's
Anymore we can think of? I kinda hate to go through them more than twice :shock:

Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby doug » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 am

1974 was the last year s cents were minted for circulation. From 1975 on all s cents were proofs only.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:43 pm

doug wrote:1974 was the last year s cents were minted for circulation. From 1975 on all s cents were proofs only.

The fun part is you can find the proofs in circulation Franklin has found six so far out of rolls! :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby doug » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm

I have found several proof cents too. Actually I have found proof nickels, quarters and halves also. Dimes are harder as I do not look at the dates so I have not found one yet.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 am

Yeah I found a planchette and a proof in one of our first boxes and thought, "what a great hobby this is going to be" 25 boxes later.......

Which brings me to the next (last) question, what do you separate?

When I started I had 2 cans, 1 for zinc 1 for copper.
Second day I had 4 cans,copper, zinc, Canadian, Wheats.
Third day into it, 1 more for the clips and double stamp (or die),

Anyway, now a month or so later I have like 10 or 12 containers on my little card table and it's getting tough to do the volume we are with 4 people sitting around this table.

1 Copper.
2 Zinc.
3 Canadian (1996 and down)
4 Canadian King Georges.
5 Wheats.
6 82's Which I later separate as I weigh them, roll zincs and save.
7 "S" mints
8 2009's
9 pretties, nice 60s and 70 that can be sold for a premium
10 for 1959's which can be sold for a premium.
11 1970 cents

That pretty well takes up all our working space.
Now I now the answer(s) are going to depend on who they come from (dont they always?)

Some will probably say "DUDE get the copper! You are wasting time with all the separating.
And of course more coin collector types (which is where I fit in) I think will probably have better ways and information.

We are really just getting strted, which is why I'm trying to get a feel for what others like us, are doing.
Thanks
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:59 pm

I separate out stuff like you do as well - as I see them - but for the most part I am just going for copper. I have time later on to really pick through the stuff. Sometimes I feel like sitting there and examining everything in the copper pile so I do so for a bit. Then I carefully mark those boxes as searched copper and those would be the first ones that I would sell if I were in the selling mood. Right now the focus is just to sort for bulk copper.

What is special about 1970 cents?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Tubed by mint mark and date,Full rolls by the same date and mint mark! Canada by date and metal type.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Tubed by mint mark and date,Full rolls by the same date and mint mark! Canada by date and metal type.

nice setup, mine is a mess and in dire need of a redesign.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:40 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Tubed by mint mark and date,Full rolls by the same date and mint mark! Canada by date and metal type.

Thats a sweet setup, thanks for sharing.

Nhsorter, I don't know it there is anything special about the 1970s. I guessing at pretty much everything. My wife just did a quick search on ebay and found that it looks like only the 1970 "s" are selling (or even being offered) so maybe we will just keep the 70 s from here on. We keep changing as we learn. "Changing" GET IT? AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

sorry

EDIT to ask henry, how do you use your Ryedale? We have thought about purchasing one, but as we like to look at and flip over all coppers, and even save '09 zinks, it seems like it would just be a waste? I can definitely see a automatic coin counter in our near future though, but I KNOW how I could use right now (as I look around the living room at all the zincs that need to be counted to $50 fv and bagged) just not sure how to fit they Ryedale into the picture, we would if we could use it.
Thanks,
Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Also we use the Harris cent folder to show of the odd coins Franklin find in rolls. http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?Page=81&ProductID=8HRS2676 As to why we have a Ryedale is my son Franklin who is the sorter has autism and other problems can not read that good and will sit still to look over cent to find the odd one, So I used to haul them all back to the bank now I just run the zinc back. Lately Franklin likes to look back over the sorted coppers and will pull the 1968-1974 s mints. S mints are to find on the east coast so people on the east coast will pay more for them. Also Franklin had a new sort and when I asked what they were he said "bird poop pennies" AKA ugly ABES.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Also he has three more folders not in the photos here with the one offs from all over the world found in rolls.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing