coin counters

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: coin counters

Postby slickeast » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

TOP ADVICE

Do not put too many coins onto the spinning wheel. This will cause churning and nothing will come out.

Take the cover off where the knobs are and try to get an understanding of how it works.

There are two levers. One near the left belt and one near the right belt. Lift the left lever and you will see the rails that the coins travel on as they cross the reject hole. Move the DIAMETER knob and you will see how this part of the machine works.

Next you will see a lever near the belt on the right. If you pull this lever to the right and HOLD it, you can wiggle the metal plate that the knob is attached to and remove the whole plate. It can be hard to remove, so just continue to wiggle it to you get it off. You may need to remove this to clean trash or a nasty jam. You have to pull the lever to the right and HOLD it to get it to go back on.

Jams are going to happen. You can try hitting the stop button. This causes it to reverse a partial turn and sometimes clears the jam.
Another option is to stop the machine and turn the DIAMETER knob to a larger setting. This opens the rails and will cause the coin to fall in the reject cup where you want it. You can turn the machine on for a second or two to see if it will eject. You don't want to leave it on long because the reject cup fills FAST.

Next step is to turn the machine off, and ALSO turn the THICKNESS knob to a large setting. If the coin has gunk on it it needs to be able to fit under the plate.Turn the machine on for a sec or two and hopefully the coin will pass under the plate and into the reject cup.

Once the problem coin is cleared, return the knobs back to the original settings. If the THICKNESS knob wont turn back, you have coins stacked under the plate. This is another reason to not overload the wheel. I try to reach in and pull them out if I can. If I can't I take the cover off and remove the plate and fix the problem.

These are good machines and list for over $1000 on any online business site.

If you luck up and find a Scan Coin 313, BUY IT. It has a large hopper that holds 4000 coins and has an auto feeder. This keeps the right amount of coin on the spinning wheel.

I have both and used both to pre-run the $900 in loose pennies I got this week. The 303 ran about $400 in the time it took the 313 to do $500.

The 313 retails for $1500 +

There are faster machines out there, but I challenge any $250 to out perform it.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:23 pm

I run my thickness tight...so I can pull out the cruddy, chewed and bent coins...i really dont like scp's. I can spin a box of pennies during a commercial. Good Luck fellas on your new counters once you get one you wonder how you ever did without one.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby camtender » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks again TXbullion and Slick for the heads up and advice. Does anyone use the Dri Slide or other lube for their sorters? If so, what parts are you using it on?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby The MoneyMan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Greetings all,

I have been thinking of hoarding copper for quite some time, and recently began doing so.

I have been in the business of selling and repairing coin sorter/counters and packagers (such as the Scan Coin) for almost 30 years, so if anybody has any questions regarding them, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to do what I can to help you out.

You can never go wrong with the Scan Coin machines, (I am a Scan Coin dealer) but I would recommend the 303/313 as they utilize an electronic sensor to count vs. the 302 series that use a wheel type of setup to achieve the same results.

I had a customer contact me a couple of years ago asking if I could program a particular machine to separate copper pennies from zinc. I didn't know much about the transitional year (1982) and thought that he was looking to separate out the wheats. I was having terrific luck with them, but couldn't figure out why it was rejecting pennies all the way up to some 1982 ones. When he came in he was thrilled with the results, and explained to me when they changed over and then I too was happy that my work had achieved what he was looking for.

When I asked him why he was doing this, he told me he was looking for coins with numismatic value, but he picked up another machine elsewhere and brought it in to me asking me to do the same to his new machine. I told him that I wouldn't do it unless he leveled with me and told me REALLY why he was sorting copper. It was then that he told me about copper pennies and their intrinsic vs. extrensic value.

I have been looking for one of those machines on the bay as of late so as to program it up to do what I did for him and I happened to save all of my settings so only minor tweeks for the sensor should be necessary. I should be able to sort at roughly 800-1k cpm with reasonable accuracy.

With regard to the question re using any type of lubricant on these machines, I HIGHLY recommend NOT using them. If your machine is not passing coin through efficiently, you definitely have another problem with it.

One other thing. The Scan Coin machines are made by a company called JCM which also manufactures them for Magner who sells them as the 920. Personally I'd stay away from the Ribao type of Chinese machines, as parts for them are not usually readily available, and honestly they are not very good machines. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Again, if any of you have any questions regarding this type of equipment, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Happy hoarding,
The MoneyMan
Last edited by The MoneyMan on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The MoneyMan

Postby linkster » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 pm

The Money Man.........which coin sorter did you use to sort out copper? Make and model would be good enough I can easily figure out the rest.
linkster

Postby The MoneyMan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm

You can't easily figure out the rest as you need the manufacturer's proprietary software in order to program the machine with the necessary parameters.
The MoneyMan

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 am

I know that this is an older post, but does anyone remember the sellers name on these units? All of the eBay links in this thread are dead. I am thinking that a SC303 or SC313 is the way to go. I just saw one in Brooklyn for $150 but that is too much of a trip to make it worthwhile.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 am

NHsorter wrote:I know that this is an older post, but does anyone remember the sellers name on these units? All of the eBay links in this thread are dead. I am thinking that a SC303 or SC313 is the way to go. I just saw one in Brooklyn for $150 but that is too much of a trip to make it worthwhile.

See my comment on the 303 in the other thread you posted in. The 303 is a great machine for moderate duty. All I need.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:14 pm

What he said.... ^^^^

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing