being cool about this

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: being cool about this

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:16 am

I thought this thread was called "Being cool about this" ?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:57 am

blackrabbit wrote:I thought this thread was called "Being cool about this" ?

I think they are in love with each other.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:15 am

neilgin1 wrote:well, i guess you're smarter than me then.....but not as smart as to engage in patronizing rhetoric shot my way...we'll let it trade. seems to me, a while back, right before we zipped to 49, werent you making a case for it going lower? correct me if i'm wrong, or "too obvious".

I was saying that no matter what it looks like it means nothing. I wasn't taking a shot at you. I was just saying that seeing what has happened and drawing conclusions on that is a dangerous game as the market is volatile and impossible to predict. As soon as it *looks* predictable is the time when you should start assuming it is not :)

Absolutely no direct attack meant. If one was felt, I apologize as that was not my intent. Just the general statement that: No one can predict what will happen. And trying to do so is a dangerous game.

That said you are staying on the side lines, not "buying puts" so you take the danger out. If your prediction is wrong you lose nothing. If it is right, you buy then (presumably) and gain on the eventual comeback. So you are playing your prediction correctly and not over extending as many do.
barrytrot

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 am

slickeast wrote:

If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 am

slickeast wrote:

:lol:

Neilgin and jonflyfish.... Im not either of your daddies, but perhaps you BOTH could just put the other on ignore??? I like to pretend I learned a lot from both of you and would hate for either of you to leave over disagreeing on an internets forum.

Think of this... Jesus or ghandi both figures that represent peace to many and are loved by many are HATED by some others. hitler and stalin both figures that represent hatred or tyranny to many are LOVED by some folks.... So even with those extreme examples not everyone will like you or hate you no matter who you are or what you do.... Clearly you two dont like eachother. So what. If you walked down the street and talked to everyone you saw in some big city you might curl up in a fetal position if you let it get to you when someone didnt like you or your thoughts...

this foru is big enough for both of you. Perhaps the ignore feature should be employed here.

Just some thoughts. I dont truly care what either of you do. Ive got no dog in your fight.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 am

Perhaps folks are reading too deep into this.
When someone chooses to lash out with an ill minded attempt to attack the character of others with loose falsehoods, incorrect assumptions full of empty rhetoric with a conscious effort to defame the character of others, they should be held accountable for such. Blatant lies are intolerable. The origin of this is clearly documented in the archives. I was compelled to set the record straight. No hatred or otherwise from me. That is not my character or style.
Either way its all just mind over matter. I no longer mind because this no longer matters.
I'm "being cool about this"

Cheers,
Jon
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

Neilgin and jonflyfish, I don't care how much ya'll disagree with each other or dislike each other. That is between ya'll

I have not read anything that I feel is so far out of line that any action by the ADMIN should be taken. It is just 2 guys with different views. I have had worse disagreements with my boss. It just shows that ya'll are compassionate about what you do and the views you have for that compassion.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Country » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:39 am

Being cool is to be resolute in the belief that the fiat currencies are being depreciated by the sovereigns looking for the quick term fix. Whether or not THE END IS NEAR, the longer term perspective is the one viewpoint where one should gravitate. I've made some predictions, some right, some wrong. I think the best approach is to stay solid with the long-term viewpoint of the brotherhood here that PMs are where you want to be when the END FINALLY COMES.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 am

Jonflyfish wrote:Perhaps folks are reading too deep into this.
When someone chooses to lash out with an ill minded attempt to attack the character of others with loose falsehoods, incorrect assumptions full of empty rhetoric with a conscious effort to defame the character of others, they should be held accountable for such. Blatant lies are intolerable. The origin of this is clearly documented in the archives. I was compelled to set the record straight. No hatred or otherwise from me. That is not my character or style.
Either way its all just mind over matter. I no longer mind because this no longer matters.
I'm "being cool about this"

Cheers,
Jon

I honestly dont personally care about the details. I just dont want either of you to leave over a disagreement. I happen to value both of your inputs....

Country... wise post imo...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:57 am

Jonflyfish wrote:Neil, you either suffer from dementia or are delusional. Not only was I lucky enough to locate the break near $17 (as posted on the old site) as a major rally point for a strong breakout, but was fortunate enough to be core short silver from the highs, reloading for a bounce then reversing on the lower high in keeping with the well documented Realcent Black Swan.

Ignoring all the personal back patting going on here and cutting to the chase, the "Realcent Black Swan" mentioned is mislabeling at its best. This is just a broad brushstroke of categorization here, but Realcenters will more than likely fall into one of these categories:
1) Hoarder/Stacker
2) Flipper/Trader (physical or paper)
3) Collector

Now let's assess... a Black Swan is an event that is surprising with major impact and normally associated with a bad or negative outcome to the majority of a group (perhaps not always, but usually). If I was a betting man, I'd say the majority of folks here would fall into the hoarder/stacker or collector groups. Don't get me wrong, we do have plenty of traders here, but we're talking about majorities - side note: this would actually be a cool survey.

Now here's the fun part... last time I checked lower prices were a GOOD thing for hoarders/stackers and collectors which may make up the majority here correct? Even if folks in these categories are holding $40toz silver... it doesn't matter to them because it’s a totally different mindset and goal than a trader/flipper. You don't lose money until you sell at a lower price which traders may have to do at times but is irrelevant to the hoarder or collector.

The moral of the story is don’t let traders get to you with jargon like this if you’re true intentions and goals for PMs are beyond just flipping and making a quick buck. Don’t feel like you’ve “done something wrong” just because you bought at a higher price. The time will come when anyone with physical will pat themselves on the back and can post on this forum with their fingers pointed.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Amen brother Jason.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 pm

SteelCityCopper wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Neil, you either suffer from dementia or are delusional. Not only was I lucky enough to locate the break near $17 (as posted on the old site) as a major rally point for a strong breakout, but was fortunate enough to be core short silver from the highs, reloading for a bounce then reversing on the lower high in keeping with the well documented Realcent Black Swan.

Ignoring all the personal back patting going on here and cutting to the chase, the "Realcent Black Swan" mentioned is mislabeling at its best. This is just a broad brushstroke of categorization here, but Realcenters will more than likely fall into one of these categories:
1) Hoarder/Stacker
3) Collector

Now let's assess... a Black Swan is an event that is surprising with major impact and normally associated with a bad or negative outcome to the majority of a group (perhaps not always, but usually). If I was a betting man, I'd say the majority of folks here would fall into the hoarder/stacker or collector groups. Don't get me wrong, we do have plenty of traders here, but we're talking about majorities - side note: this would actually be a cool survey.

Now here's the fun part... last time I checked lower prices were a GOOD thing for hoarders/stackers and collectors which may make up the majority here correct? Even if folks in these categories are holding $40toz silver... it doesn't matter to them because it’s a totally different mindset and goal than a trader/flipper. You don't lose money until you sell at a lower price which traders may have to do at times but is irrelevant to the hoarder or collector.

The moral of the story is don’t let traders get to you with jargon like this if you’re true intentions and goals for PMs are beyond just flipping and making a quick buck. Don’t feel like you’ve “done something wrong” just because you bought at a higher price. The time will come when anyone with physical will pat themselves on the back and can post on this forum with their fingers pointed.

I don't know what the moral of your story means. It seems like you are classifying certain folks as good and bad. Are you saying that being a "trader/flipper" is bad? Is that the same as saying that all coin dealers are good and serve as well intended charities who offer cheap coins and would never hustle a less informed buyer into buying some over priced "rare" coins as way to preserve their wealth? I'm not trying to stir the pot, Just trying to understand the "moral" as its defined.

The black swan event was not intended to be a bias towards feeling good or bad. Simply that while most were looking for the USD to completely collapse a few months back, I was noticing a reversal possibility for the USD cycle to actually strengthen. There is no emotion in this. Could turn out to be correct or wrong just the same. Nobody can control the market.
Emotions come into play when people take action and expect the (any)market to obey their desires. Markets are markets. They are not good or bad, just like gold. It is what it is. People feel what they feel based on their own emotion. The metal doesn't care just the same as the markets. What's the purpose of patting ourselves on the back and pointing fingers(at whom?) Self congratulatory bravado is simply an emotion. The metal doesn't really care.
Best to you.
Cheers,
JFF
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Wow this thread really went downhill after checking it this morning.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
SteelCityCopper wrote:

1) Hoarder/Stacker
3) Collector

I don't know what the moral of your story means. It seems like you are classifying certain folks as good and bad. Are you saying that being a "trader/flipper" is bad? Is that the same as saying that all coin dealers are good and serve as well intended charities who offer cheap coins and would never hustle a less informed buyer into buying some over priced "rare" coins as way to preserve their wealth? I'm not trying to stir the pot, Just trying to understand the "moral" as its defined.

The black swan event was not intended to be a bias towards feeling good or bad.

No problem at all man. I don’t think I classified anyone as good and bad (your interpretation), however, I do think that everyone should think about and understand their own personal goals and how this relates to the fluctuation in market price. What makes you a good trader is your discipline to check your emotions – that’s a key attribute in your line of work. However, other folks are not traders, we have emotions about this stuff regardless of whether we want to - it’s human nature to feel down if something you are holding suddenly drops in price. But nobody needs to feel down if you’re goal is to hold it and not sell it at a loss.

You made the association of a significant drop in silver price to a “Realcent Black Swan” event, not I, and using your verbiage, I agree emotion has nothing to do with it. However, I just challenged your thought that a drop in silver price is actually a true Black Swan when it’s a GOOD thing for the stacker or collector... we get cheaper stuff. Make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification.

Good discussion! I don’t think anyone reading this thread should feel like everyone’s previous posts are bad in any way. We’re just a bunch of folks with different viewpoints, ideas, and ways of doing things which makes this forum awesome. We should all check our pride and frustrations at the door and come armed with some good info to share :D
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:18 pm

so sorry the thread went south, i aint leaving. I didnt mean for my postings to be incomprehensible, i was just talking in shorthand language, thats like a second language to me. My fault that i was wasnt clear, in using that language. But leave? why? i've made too many good friends here that i learn from. and enjoy their cyber company. Now the few here that i dont gravitate towards? the ignore feature is useful. sorry for the drama guys, wasnt my intent, respectfully, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 pm

As I was submitting this Neil replied, but I'll submit this anyway. Staying out of the bulk of the later fray, I'll just comment that I have no idea what the issue was with the trader jargon. It's common stuff, if you read anything on the subject. The metaphors are almost self-explanatory. Bulls and Bears. Falling Knives. Listen to any trading show, CNBC (no matter what you think of them) etc, or read any trading column, and you'll get more than an earful of it. But if you don't get something, either search for it on the web, as I've done in the past, or ask. Or ignore it and move along. But don't complain as though the jargon is some special secret stuff or a deliberate attempt to puff oneself up. I know better than that of the writer.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

68Camaro wrote: But don't complain as though the jargon is some special secret stuff or a deliberate attempt to puff oneself up. I know better than that of the writer.

thank you 68, there's two ways to communicate on this forum , public or PM, and 68 and i have communicated extensively via PM, and have gotten to know one another, and he is a man to respect, his knowledge and his life. Now that aint mutual a## kissing, thats just the way its gone. Comradely fellowship is organic, its like building a brick wall, you do it brick by brick, deliberate and with care.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 pm

68Camaro wrote:As I was submitting this Neil replied, but I'll submit this anyway. Staying out of the bulk of the later fray, I'll just comment that I have no idea what the issue was with the trader jargon. It's common stuff, if you read anything on the subject. The metaphors are almost self-explanatory. Bulls and Bears. Falling Knives. Listen to any trading show, CNBC (no matter what you think of them) etc, or read any trading column, and you'll get more than an earful of it. But if you don't get something, either search for it on the web, as I've done in the past, or ask. Or ignore it and move along. But don't complain as though the jargon is some special secret stuff or a deliberate attempt to
puff oneself up. I know better than that of the writer.

I thought I did ask.

Thanks for your advice 68, now I know enough to understand when something should be obvious.

Every line of endevour has lingo that is obvious just like penny sorting acronyms and so forth. Don't we explain those terms to newbies? Or do we ignore the inquiry and drive on?

Some of us don't change money. We provide goods and services all day. Should I apologize for asking, and then giving a 'tongue and cheek, totally not serious butt smacking' when the question ignored.

I'm darn sure not going to give up my sense of humor, though it may be rough. I use it on the people I love :mrgreen:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm feeling the love Thogey, :mrgreen: even if my comment wasn't really focused on you. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals