just started!1st post.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

just started!1st post.

Postby penny pretty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:48 am

bought $100FV machine sorted on ebay. I would love to get into sorting myself. but dont have much time. My question is, when I checked the first box to make sure before I left feedback, I saw a few wheats. SO...I just wanted to have some copper on hand. is it worth my time to sort through these for more wheats? I intend on rolling them up anyway. TY for any thoughts!! do folks who sell machine sorted coins look for rarities?
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: just started!1st post.

Postby myfundsarelow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:57 am

welcome to the forum prettypenny,look for the wheat cents any time you sort copper from zinc they add up, face value at least 3 cents each or more. PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CU Baker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:14 am

Well another one bites the dust. Buy a hundred,pick a few cu's here and there to add to it, buy a roll or two to sort, then a box, ok maybe two more boxes. I think I will place a weekly order, I need a ryedale and a coin counter and a few more banks for supply. I could cut my sorting time down if I had one or two more ryedales. I just have one :?: , what are you going to do in week two of being around here? Welcome to the nut house.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:48 am

penny pretty wrote:SO...I just wanted to have some copper on hand.

You may live to regret that decision :D

Save the wheats. You'll want to check them for scarcity based on date & mint, which you can find online...or ask here.

I'm curious...if you don't mind my asking...what brings you to the Dark Side? Do you have other metal interests that led you to diversify?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tn-dave » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 am

Welcome pretty penny..!! -- A lot of great folks here
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am

Welcome to the forum Pretty Penny. Those of us that sort and sell large volumes don't have time to sort the wheats out so we just leave them in the copper. We would like to sort out the wheats if we had time, but there never seems to be enough time. It is worth sorting tyhem out if you are doing smaller quanities. Chances are, the person that sold you those copper cents on eBay is also a member here. I sell a few on eBay occasionally.. leaving the wheats in.. and even offer the option of machine rolling the copper for the buyer. Before long you will be sorting your own.. but for now there is plenty of reasonably priced copper available on the open market. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby twentybux » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Welcome to the insanity. ;) You will be entertained on this site but first and foremost, you will become "informed". If you know what I am talking about, good for you. If not, stay tuned in. The wisdom found here is beyond measure. I too welcome you to the dark side. 8-)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 am

CU Baker wrote:Well another one bites the dust. Buy a hundred,pick a few cu's here and there to add to it, buy a roll or two to sort, then a box, ok maybe two more boxes. I think I will place a weekly order, I need a ryedale and a coin counter and a few more banks for supply. I could cut my sorting time down if I had one or two more ryedales. I just have one :?: , what are you going to do in week two of being around here? Welcome to the nut house.

True. Every last word.

Welcome to the forum!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Welcome to the forum! You'll soon be thinking about Lincoln nearly all of the time... "I see red people" :P

Tex
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:28 pm

texcollex wrote:Welcome to the forum! You'll soon be thinking about Lincoln nearly all of the time... "I see red people" :P

Tex

Tell me more about these "red people" you see.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:09 pm

thanks guys!! ive been sorting my pocket change for awhile,been buying silver eagles for about 2 years. somehow researching silver I came across this forum and read about buying from the banks. I was FASCINATED..I work crazy hours and couldnt see trying to sort a whole box, so I supported you fine folks and bought pre-sorted just to have some. the funny part is NOW I gotta sort 10K of the little bastards to look for wheats now!! 80 percent through sorting.. 2 rolls of wheats, 1 1914(notD sadly) a 1931, and 3 commons that look like new...BTW I paid 166 for 100FVabout a month ago from weavertd. thanks for listening, and too bad nobody got the sweet buckaroo banzia reference for my username!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby texcollex » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:14 pm

adagirl wrote:
texcollex wrote:Welcome to the forum! You'll soon be thinking about Lincoln nearly all of the time... "I see red people" :P

Tex

Tell me more about these "red people" you see.

Just good ol' honest abes
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Postby crazypennyguy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've been bit by the penny bug in a bif way, but I'm only hand-sorting. I'm one of those guys that has enough time on hand to tease out the keepers like wheats.
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing