Just Watch-64 Kennedy's and 40% Ken's are going to huge.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Just Watch-64 Kennedy's and 40% Ken's are going to huge.

Postby Bartender » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:24 pm

If some of you wouldn't mind imparting your thoughts (and I apologize if this changes the direction the thread was going), but here's what has me curious about 90% vs. 40% Kennedy's.
I'm a college student, i.e. on a budget, and 40% Ken's would be more in my price range but I feel like I would be cheating myself a little bit in buying them instead of 90%. I obviously know that I'm doing myself a favor by getting into any amount of PM's rather than staying in FRN's, but I feel like buying the 40% version of any coin instead of 90% is doing myself a disservice. Would I be better off long term by buying fewer quantity and sticking to 90 percent? Does this make sense to anyone or do you understand where I'm coming from??
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bartender
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Bartender wrote:If some of you wouldn't mind imparting your thoughts (and I apologize if this changes the direction the thread was going), but here's what has me curious about 90% vs. 40% Kennedy's.
I'm a college student, i.e. on a budget, and 40% Ken's would be more in my price range but I feel like I would be cheating myself a little bit in buying them instead of 90%. I obviously know that I'm doing myself a favor by getting into any amount of PM's rather than staying in FRN's, but I feel like buying the 40% version of any coin instead of 90% is doing myself a disservice. Would I be better off long term by buying fewer quantity and sticking to 90 percent? Does this make sense to anyone or do you understand where I'm coming from??

I understand what you are saying precisely, and i believe you are not wrong in your leanings. I say that because in the last 2 quarters, i have been focusing on the 40 Kennedy's (also 40% Ikes) simply because A. they are a better value and B. they are a better value because they are on of the few silver coins you can purchase near or at MELT. Its almost like they are regarded as the poor stepchild of silver coins....and thats an error, imo. a silver 90% dime is .07 toz, and $10 face value of 90% silver dimes is roughly trading at 30 times face, $300, for 7.15 to 7.23 toz's of silver...and i say roughly, because a lot of $5 FV rolls of dimes are trading way above 16-18X, which equals 36X's ($360)...whereas in the past 3 to 4 months i've been buying roll after roll of Kennedy 40's between $95 to a $125 dollars, and with a silver content of .15 toz, its like having a double dime, and a perfectly prudent strategy on your part, as the important thing is to get into silver whatever way you can. Now i got to lay a large foundation of 90%'ers between 11 and 17X's face, which now allows me the luxury of getting into what i percieve as an undervalued and/or unsought for, silver coin. good work, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby schockergd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 pm

In my area , plenty of people think ALL kennedy halves are silver, so I don't see how that they're going to be more popular than any other denomination.

I'm just going off of what I see locally, and I see more and more people accepting silver as barter for goods and services. The only problem is people always want more than spot for their product, IE if it's normally $50 , they want $60 or so in spot silver.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:05 am

schockergd wrote:In my area , plenty of people think ALL kennedy halves are silver, so I don't see how that they're going to be more popular than any other denomination.

I'm just going off of what I see locally, and I see more and more people accepting silver as barter for goods and services. The only problem is people always want more than spot for their product, IE if it's normally $50 , they want $60 or so in spot silver.

I for one would be willing to accept "less" for PM than FRN. I.E. If I had an old lazy boy out in a yard sale and was asking $50 for it, I'd likely say yes to the person who offered me a peace dollar and $5 FRN as to where I probably wouldn't take $40 for it.

I believe as more and more folks realize what is happening to their dollar - more and more trading opportunities will arize above "theoretical" spot. To me, at this point in time, physical silver is always worth more than what its trading for on the floor.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 am

If we get back to some point where silver is a common medium of exchange, people will quickly become familiar with what is the best silver, what is less good, and what is not silver at all. There will be a period of confusion. However, it will pass.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyBoy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Neil, I think you would enjoy this article.

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Art ... leId=24162

It's a good read.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:44 pm

PennyBoy wrote:Neil, I think you would enjoy this article.

It's a good read.

Penny, you are a blessed man, just a gem, thank you for even thinking of me. This article just rescued me from a dicey day. It thrilled me , coz i've never read about American coin history, and a history of two guys were like role models and heroes to me, JFK and RFK. That whole coin mintage history, and decision making is FASCINATING, and you bolstered me, becoz i had a feeling that the 65-69 40% Kennedy's were a buy, simply coz i was getting them below and at melt. Now we all collect Roos/Merc 90% dimes, right? .07 toz. but a 65-69 40 Kenn is .15 toz, an amped double dime for trading purposes, post dollar...it just "feels" like it would be a well used trade coin. But its the 1970 Kenn's, that i've been after and scored. got quite a few, and when i see them, i slash and burn, ramp the bid. i might pay up, but when i read in this article, the very coins i got might be worth $50...NOW? whoa.
my dicey day was this: some of the boys came over with a huge crane to lift my cabin, to put it over a bunker i had dug...YES, a bunker, we aint playing games here. Its not an insane bunker, meaning i dont have rad filters, and air lock doors, etc, but its VERY nice. The crane has a lift capacity of 45,000 lbs, my bud estimated when he bid the job that she weighs 28-32,000 pounds, after 6 hours of prep, we start the lift, he slumps over in his seat, as it was topping at 38,000 pounds and hadnt even gone airborne. So we stopped and another fellow is needed to come in with another crane, but here's the kicker, they look at me and ask, "what you got in there, gold bars"? i [shucks] you not. didnt bat an eye, i said, "nooooo! whadya think"...then the question, "what you got up there, coins?"...and i said, "yeh right, scoffingly. so i guess my pretend stack of silver copper nickel and lead is quite a load. more than i ever thought. Good deal when they get the cabin atop the bunker, so i can start transfering some below....tommorrow, or a week from monday, maybe. But Penny, you REALLY cheered me up with that great article, God bless you. Hey, you think they suspect anything? My poker face is very good, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Good reading here! I too have been thinking the 64's will be the coveted coin of the not so far off future. Those, followed by Morgans and then Eagles. Actually, that list is in order of my favorites! Ever since I found 37 MINT 64's in circulation (sealed up in tape even)... they have been my favorite!

I think you just inspired me to get back to work on my 64's stack.

YES!!! I find that people EVERYWHERE think ALL Kennedy's are silver. I LOVE buying stuff with them! Just spent $30 at Wally world about 2 hrs ago on some fishing gear and oil changing material. Girl didn't give it a second thought. She read the wrapping paper and kept on trucking along. That's unusual. I bought some gas yesterday with halves... pretty sure that girl was trying to call the FBI or something! She went NUTS! HE HE.

Happy hunting all! :D
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 pm

If the SHTF and silver trades like we think it will, I think the US 90% will be the standard and the Kennedy half will be the king. In today's terms the half is the 20, the quarter is the 10, the dime is the $2 dollar bill. And 1964 will be a date EVERYONE will get familiar with quite quickly and that Kennedy half, in my opinion, would be the top "junk" to have. Early on, you might find some people who will view a Morgan/Peace dollar the same as 2 halves, and you might get a premium there, so the dollars will go to the folks in-the-know, and they'll be the ones who hold the ASEs already. The general public won't have easy access to dollars and eagles, so they'll probably think in terms of fractional dollars of 90% rather than ounces. I see silver dollars and bullion trading amongst the people who understand the actual silver content, in terms of ounces or whatever, folks like us. ;-) And the big silver will be used for very important things. Like Neil was saying, if you're offering a sawmill, we can talk ASEs right?
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:41 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
PennyBoy wrote:Neil, I think you would enjoy this article.

It's a good read.

Penny, you are a blessed man, just a gem, thank you for even thinking of me. This article just rescued me from a dicey day. It thrilled me , coz i've never read about American coin history, and a history of two guys were like role models and heroes to me, JFK and RFK. That whole coin mintage history, and decision making is FASCINATING, and you bolstered me, becoz i had a feeling that the 65-69 40% Kennedy's were a buy, simply coz i was getting them below and at melt. Now we all collect Roos/Merc 90% dimes, right? .07 toz. but a 65-69 40 Kenn is .15 toz, an amped double dime for trading purposes, post dollar...it just "feels" like it would be a well used trade coin. But its the 1970 Kenn's, that i've been after and scored. got quite a few, and when i see them, i slash and burn, ramp the bid. i might pay up, but when i read in this article, the very coins i got might be worth $50...NOW? whoa.
my dicey day was this: some of the boys came over with a huge crane to lift my cabin, to put it over a bunker i had dug...YES, a bunker, we aint playing games here. Its not an insane bunker, meaning i dont have rad filters, and air lock doors, etc, but its VERY nice. The crane has a lift capacity of 45,000 lbs, my bud estimated when he bid the job that she weighs 28-32,000 pounds, after 6 hours of prep, we start the lift, he slumps over in his seat, as it was topping at 38,000 pounds and hadnt even gone airborne. So we stopped and another fellow is needed to come in with another crane, but here's the kicker, they look at me and ask, "what you got in there, gold bars"? i s--t you not. didnt bat an eye, i said, "nooooo! whadya think"...then the question, "what you got up there, coins?"...and i said, "yeh right, scoffingly. so i guess my pretend stack of silver copper nickel and lead is quite a load. more than i ever thought. Good deal when they get the cabin atop the bunker, so i can start transfering some below....tommorrow, or a week from monday, maybe. But Penny, you REALLY cheered me up with that great article, God bless you. Hey, you think they suspect anything? My poker face is very good, neil

Neil, glad I was able to make your day a little better!

As for your "dicey day", I see that as a good problem to have. I wish I had that problem.

As for the boys suspecting anything, hell as long as you believe yourself, others will follow.

Take care, buddy. Good luck movin' the cabin.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Pennybug wrote:Good reading here! I too have been thinking the 64's will be the coveted coin of the not so far off future. Those, followed by Morgans and then Eagles. Actually, that list is in order of my favorites! Ever since I found 37 MINT 64's in circulation (sealed up in tape even)... they have been my favorite!

I think you just inspired me to get back to work on my 64's stack.

YES!!! I find that people EVERYWHERE think ALL Kennedy's are silver. I LOVE buying stuff with them! Just spent $30 at Wally world about 2 hrs ago on some fishing gear and oil changing material. Girl didn't give it a second thought. She read the wrapping paper and kept on trucking along. That's unusual. I bought some gas yesterday with halves... pretty sure that girl was trying to call the FBI or something! She went NUTS! HE HE.

Happy hunting all! :D

Thanks for the kind words!

You're right about everyone thinking ALL Kennedy's are silver. Sadly, if and when SHTF, they'll learn the hard way!

PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:48 am

I was a collector of world silver coins, due to selling close to melt in most cases. I have amassed quite a stash of silver with them. But what I have come to find out that liquidating them is not so easy. I have been making in roads on selling and or trading them, but not so much of late due to the down turn in the silver market. But what cash I have from the sale of my foreign silver, I have turned that money around and have bought on the dip, in the form of 90% Kennedy halves. Morgan and Peace dollars are hard to acquire due to competition from other buyers, as to drive up the price way past melt. Never to recoup any sort of profit. Not the Washington quarters, not Mercury/ Roosevelt dimes. My taste in US 90% AG is the Kennedy halve. Over a third of a troy ounce each. It is a nice size of monetary wealth. When I do purchase them a try to keep my holdings down to a cost average of $12.50 or less.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby franklin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:22 pm

While I like 64 JFKs due their lack of wear, they still will take a bit more scrutiny in the future if used as PM currency since the percentage changed. Not so with Franklins and I find a good many of those with little wear and all of them are 90%.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 pm

I saw some jackass at my flea market telling some old lady that a morgan was 'pretty much an ounce of silver"

and he had it priced as such. Our eyes met and he knew I knew he was full of sh1t.

I understand what neil is saying and he doesn't what to rip people off. But when neil sells (barters) after TSHTF, that's how he believes the market will work.

Am I close neil?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 pm

Thogey wrote:I saw some jackass at my flea market telling some old lady that a morgan was 'pretty much an ounce of silver"

and he had it priced as such. Our eyes met and he knew I knew he was full of sh1t.

I understand what neil is saying and he doesn't what to rip people off. But when neil sells (barters) after TSHTF, that's how he believes the market will work.

Am I close neil?

spot on Cap. thats why when i think of 40's, i think 65-69 Kenn's...ONLY. True, we've done commeratives in the latter years, but then its an assay issue. If we get into a currency emergency, and trade gets localized, you'll see "farmer's mkt/flea sale/livestock" trading DAYS, or a trading AREA, open 6 days a week, might be inside, or outside of a combination of both, meaning livestock, or fuels sold outside.

that said, i will be more than happy to quote the various weights of 90's and 40's ...AND to figure eqiuvelancy to either 95 cops, or "good" nickels (75/25's--they;re days a numbered). ......plus the "price" of silver...meatured, IF the USD goes bonkers will be shifting..but lets just say, somebody wants to sell, an item thats worth $40 in TODAY's FRN's...like four 3 pound chuck steak roasts...okay now, silvers at 200 a toz, that 40% Kennedy is .15 toz silver, and i would eagerily let the seller know two things, one this coin has .15 toz od silver, aand secondly, there were approx 5 years were minted at 40% (forget the 1970's i have)...but i would tell them for this trade, i'm valuing the coin at one fifth a toz of silver, and 1 40 Kenn is what i;m paying. we'll haggle...i might offer a silver dime, probably not, probably 10 nicks....but the point is, the silver population in this area might not be huge, so i'll be very very tight in trading, but i'll tell folks exactly WHATS IN the coin, and then what i'm VALUING it at...no shennigans, and i would show charity to widows and orphans
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals